Apple notebook overhaul rumored for mid-October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Obviously they're taking a bath on the new iPods, or were they referring to the next quarter?

If new Macs are coming out next month, wouldn't they already be in production, getting ready to hit the shelves on opening day? Even if they aren't being built yet, there could be a lot of expenses getting prepared.

Either way, that transition could be costing Apple big time now, without the consumer seeing a thing.
  • Reply 22 of 177
    External Blu-ray SuperDrive for $200, with movie playback support for my 24" iMac please!
  • Reply 23 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Well then either our rumour monger is full of shit, or they changed their mind about September and moved it to October. It wouldn't affect this quarter that much anyway.

Exactly, and yet their very low earnings guidance for this quarter was repeatedly justified by a september production transition that will have big affects on margin. For those of you not investors, that means that if the iPods were the new product, and the margin turns out to be not impacted, then investors could see a huge earnings surprise. Or, it means Apple was sandbagging some other issue.

Anyway, you can go to Apple's investors website and listen to the 3Q2008 conference call quicktime to hear details.
  • Reply 24 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You what?

• Reply 25 of 177
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

If new Macs are coming out next month, wouldn't they already be in production, getting ready to hit the shelves on opening day? Even if they aren't being built yet, there could be a lot of expenses getting prepared.

Either way, that transition could be costing Apple big time now, without the consumer seeing a thing.

The financial conference call talked about lowering gross profit margins. What you are talking about here would affect operating margin but not gross margin.

It would seem that the expected lowering of gross margins for the current quarter must have been due to the student iPod rebate program, but the reductions going forward will be due to the forthcoming Mac updates.
  • Reply 26 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Exactly, and yet their very low earnings guidance for this quarter was repeatedly justified by a september production transition that will have big affects on margin. For those of you not investors, that means that if the iPods were the new product, and the margin turns out to be not impacted, then investors could see a huge earnings surprise. Or, it means Apple was sandbagging some other issue.

Anyway, you can go to Apple's investors website and listen to the 3Q2008 conference call quicktime to hear details.

Well if I wanted to do that I wouldn't have asked you, would I?

I think it's probably tied in with some timing issue anyway, or the Touch is costing them a fortune (relatively). We'll have to wait and see what happens with the MacBooks, but that is where the greatest scope for change is and the greatest competition. Maybe they'll do something huge.
  • Reply 27 of 177
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Option a blu-ray drive to the iMac already.

Why?.
  • Reply 28 of 177
    has EVERYONE completely FORGOTTEN Apple's OWN words: "....by the end of September Apple will have gone THROUGH a significante product transition" ?????

Are rumor sites now "guessing" AGAINST Apple's own (and very rare) announcement?????
  • Reply 29 of 177
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab The Fab View Post

has EVERYONE completely FORGOTTEN Apple's OWN words: "....by the end of September Apple will have gone THROUGH a significante product transition" ?????

Are rumor sites now "guessing" AGAINST Apple's own (and very rare) announcement?????

With less than 20 days left for an announcement, and beginning to wonder if Apple is just crying wolf on this stuff. I have yet to see anything significant in the way of a product transition with the Music family. So I am guessing that Steve will deliver some big news by the 30th. After all, didn't PO deliver those words you quoted? Seems unusual for him to make such a statement without big confidence from where I am sitting.

I agree that Oct. 14th looks out of the question for an announcement since this would have to happen before the 30th. More like a release date or just a bad date all together to find a leak.
  • Reply 30 of 177
    Quote:

has EVERYONE completely FORGOTTEN Apple's OWN words: "....by the end of September Apple will have gone THROUGH a significante product transition" ??

I know I haven't. I mentioned it twice already since this event.

Where's this supposed transition Apple? Hello!??
  • Reply 31 of 177
    Quote:

Could you supply the reference to your quote?

I have a copy of the 3rdQ 2008 conference call and nobody from Apple said anything like that.
  • Reply 32 of 177
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? Will this be a complete redesign or just a refresh to Montevina?

? Will the notebooks be getting the SFF package of the typical package size?

? Will the iMacs be getting a desktop grade Montevina/Penryn now that the TPD is lowered?

? Will the Mac Mini be refreshed, retired or redesigned?

? Will the Mac Pro be refreshed or redesigned?

? Will the dynamic feedback trackpad come to fruition?

? Will the MB get a backlit keyboard?

? Will the optical drive be made external (included with purchase, of course)?

? Will Apple offer an SSD option for the MBP?

? Will Apple offer SSD boot disk option for the Mac Pro and Xserve?

? Will Intel's X-25 SSDs be ready available by next month?

Be honest... tell me what you really want to know.
  • Reply 33 of 177
    I don't think they will abandon the internal cd/dvd drive yet, but i would really love to see that happen.

The main gripes anyone has about removing the cd drive is

a) ripping music/movies

b) installing software

c) burning optical media

All of these things aren't really done "spur of the moment" and could easily be done at home where your superdrive is.

I think that might happen in the next year or two, not right away (maybe usb 3.0 would facilitate this, esp. BR?). thoughts?
  • Reply 34 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I don't think they will abandon the internal cd/dvd drive yet, but i would really love to see that happen.

Why?.
  • Reply 35 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Any speculation of what gpu they would use in the next macbook pro taking into consideration form factor, heat, and battery life?

Yes what he said... all I really want to know is what GPU is likely as that is my real descision maker...
  • Reply 36 of 177
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The main gripes anyone has about removing the cd drive is

a) ripping music/movies

b) installing software

c) burning optical media

All of these things aren't really done "spur of the moment" and could easily be done at home where your superdrive is.

I think that might happen in the next year or two, not right away (maybe usb 3.0 would facilitate this, esp. BR?). thoughts?

I use the dvd drive to play dvd's in motel rooms, I don't want to pack around an external drive to do that. With bigger hard drives, an optical drive does become less important. I don't think we are at the stage where we should shed it though. I also don't like the idea of having peripherals scattered everywhere on my desk to supplement my computer.
  • Reply 37 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why?.

? The majority of consumers don't seem to use it often.

? HDD and flash are faster mediums that hold considerably more data.

DVDs will survive an EMP, but that isn't a real concern with most people.
  • Reply 38 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I use the dvd drive to play dvd's in motel rooms, I don't want to pack around an external drive to do that. With bigger hard drives, an optical drive does become less important. I don't think we are at the stage where we should shed it though. I also don't like the idea of having peripherals scattered everywhere on my desk to supplement my computer.

While this is a good point, using a flash drive to store the movies and playing them on the computer could usurp this necessity. Since flash drives are easier to cart around than a bunch of discs. Again, i'm thinking in a few years (for the chips to become cheaper and bigger to hold several HD movies)
  • Reply 39 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Volume wise, a 2.5" external drive takes up as much space as single DVD case. Notebook capacities have grown to a point that even copying the entire Video_TS file to the HDD to watch later shouldn't be a problem. There was a point when DVDs held more than your average notebook HDD. and if you are on a plane running from the HDD, instead of an optical drive, means you save precious battery juice.

There is no question that some consumers use their optical drives often and prefer them; the question is: Are there enough people that don't use them to make the switch, like Apple did with the floppy drive?
  • Reply 40 of 177
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

what ever happened to the september production transition that will introduce "revolutionary new products at a pricepoint competetors can't match that will result in substantially lower margins and quarterly earnings"???

That is my guess, Apple had a device to slot in above the Touch but the schedule wasn't made. One thing that leads me to believe this is the capacity gulf between Touch and Classic.

Of course they might be talking about business quarters intead of calendar quarters. Still at this point one has to think that Apple has burnt a lot of credibility. Yeah the Touch is priced better but technology wise I guy could build more into a device in his cellar. It would be nice if somebody could corner an Apple executive and pry out what the hell they where talking about. Even the Nanos, as nice as they are, aren't priced all that competitively.

Dave