Is the 32g ipod touch flash or hd? and another q inside

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I want to know if its going to have one of those crappy hd that freeze up all the time.

Seeing as Samsung makes a 128g flash drive, how long till the ipod incorporates it?

Heaven on earth, high capacity solid state ipods.

Would it be possible for a person to buy say, a 2 or 4g ipod touch, and replace the flash with the higher capacity?

Even better, reverse engineer the hd based classic to hold 2 or more 128g flash?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daeyel View Post

I want to know if its going to have one of those crappy hd that freeze up all the time.

Seeing as Samsung makes a 128g flash drive, how long till the ipod incorporates it?

Heaven on earth, high capacity solid state ipods.

Would it be possible for a person to buy say, a 2 or 4g ipod touch, and replace the flash with the higher capacity?

Even better, reverse engineer the hd based classic to hold 2 or more 128g flash?

Thanks.

The iPod touch used flash memory for storage, no HD is installed.

The bigger flash drive will be included when the cost of them make the iPod affordable.

At the moment an iPod with 128GB flash would cost over $800.

Yopu can't replace the flash memory in any iPods easily as it is soldered onto the circuit board.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

The iPod touch used flash memory for storage, no HD is installed.

The bigger flash drive will be included when the cost of them make the iPod affordable.

At the moment an iPod with 128GB flash would cost over $800.

Yopu can't replace the flash memory in any iPods easily as it is soldered onto the circuit board.

Thank you very much. I suppose with enough talent and skill you can unsolder the old one and resolder a new one on there.

But will the redone touch recognize the new high capacity, or would I need to hack the operating source code and update configurations?

And where is the operating software? On the chip itself, or is it contained elsewhere in the ipod?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daeyel View Post

Thank you very much. I suppose with enough talent and skill you can unsolder the old one and resolder a new one on there.

But will the redone touch recognize the new high capacity, or would I need to hack the operating source code and update configurations?

And where is the operating software? On the chip itself, or is it contained elsewhere in the ipod?

Thanks!

I can't answer those questions, but what ever you did you would invalidate your warranty.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I can't answer those questions, but what ever you did you would invalidate your warranty.

Right, but what use do I have for a warranty? It's solid state, nothing to break, unlike my classic ipod which had a hd failure 8 months in.

Thanks for yur help though. Just cant decide whether to settle for the 32g touch, or hold out for the high cap flash, which could be another year. Prolly end up doing both. Curse you Jobs!