Easy way to speed up the finder!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been using this nice little shareware app called 'ShadowKiller'. It does what it says, kills off the shadow effect in OsX. I could just feel how much speed difference it made on my System. Now I came across this little App (Let1KwindowsBloom) to measure how much it actually speeds up the finder and the results are striking. It measures how long it takes the finder to open and then close 1000 windows.

I'm yet to try this on my G4/450 "Sawtooth" but on my iMac DV SE 400mhz, 128mb the results are like that:

Os X.1.3 results:

With ShadowKiller disabled 90 seconds

With ShadowKiller Enabled 58 seconds

Speed difference: 55.2%

Os 9.1 results

With Kaleidoscope enabled: 36 seconds

With Kaleidoscope disabled 14 seconds

Speed difference: 157,1%

Comparison:

Clean OsX.1.3 : 90 seconds

Clean Os9.1 : 14 seconds

Difference: 642,85%

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    And you can add even more embarrassment to OsX by replacing Aqua with some 'non transparent' theme. I use 'Opaque Aqua' and it increases the Finder speed even further. Set the background to 'Solid Colours' and OsX starts to look like an Os up for the job

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Intelligent Dandy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yep same here with the opaque Aqua, much faster. I'm sorry, but I'm not desperate enough to kill the shadows and make aqua ugly to make it a little faster. Just use a them that doesn't have transparencies and you'll notice a speed up.

Also, I replaced most of my folders with generic folders, and my contextual menus are faster now.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I also use opAqua to remove the transparent menus and titlebars, got a nice speed bump.

I replaced the folder icons with the generic to, the contextual menus pop up much faster. I didn't want to remove the shadows for the same reasons as KidRed, its ugly.

Its the same with text smoothing off, it looks bad.

Btw, KidRed: Don't you have a Dual 1Ghz? I _should_ be fast enough even with all the eyecandy enabled.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Where does one find this opaque Aqua theme? I might check that out, sounds promising....my G4 400 sometimes is overwhelmed by OS X, although I'm hoping 10.2 fixes speed issues once and for all.

Anyways I want to benchmark opaque Aqua for comparison , see if it's worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Where does one find this opaque Aqua theme? I might check that out, sounds promising....my G4 400 sometimes is overwhelmed by OS X, although I'm hoping 10.2 fixes speed issues once and for all.

Anyways I want to benchmark opaque Aqua for comparison , see if it's worth it.</strong><hr></blockquote> You can find it <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/c__c/"; target="_blank">here</a>