Next Macbook starting from $890?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Problem today with financial crisis in USA and Europe should push Apple for reducing the price of the 13 inches Macbook. Ok it's just my idea... but I think it's possible. Now, what's your opinion?

Chilli

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I doubt it.

Apple doesn't exactly market their products to the financially challenged. I don't really think they care about the monetary standings of the consumer base because they know their stuff will sell anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If you really want a Macbook for that price then watch the special deals section of their site. They should be looking to blow out teh current gen machines prior to the new ones being available. You could also pick up a refurb from them which has teh same warranty as a new machine. My last 3 Mac laptops have been refurbs (iBook, Powerbook 13" and my current black 1st gen Macbook).
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

If you really want a Macbook for that price then watch the special deals section of their site. They should be looking to blow out teh current gen machines prior to the new ones being available. You could also pick up a refurb from them which has teh same warranty as a new machine. My last 3 Mac laptops have been refurbs (iBook, Powerbook 13" and my current black 1st gen Macbook).

Where do you look for these deals? In the store or on the apple site? Just wondering because if I can get a MacBook for cheaper prior to the new ones I'm all for that. It will still blow my desktop I have now out of the water and might cost just a tad more.

EDIT: I meant refurbs as I see you mentioned the special deals section.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Bootleg Saint View Post

Where do you look for these deals? In the store or on the apple site? Just wondering because if I can get a MacBook for cheaper prior to the new ones I'm all for that. It will still blow my desktop I have now out of the water and might cost just a tad more.

EDIT: I meant refurbs as I see you mentioned the special deals section.

Bottom left-hand corner of the online Apple Store.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chilli View Post

Hi,

Problem today with financial crisis in USA and Europe should push Apple for reducing the price of the 13 inches Macbook. Ok it's just my idea... but I think it's possible. Now, what's your opinion?

Chilli

It's a huge possibility that will happen.

And it will give them a price gap for when they announce that tablet that the world will "have" to have.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Mmm…

Tablet…

Mmm…
  • Reply 7 of 33
    If they do drop the price by that much, correct me if I am wrong, it will reduce the profit margin Peter Oppenheimer said during his quarterly financial results call.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    So would keeping the price the same but adding some more expensive features. Or maybe everybody is right and the price will drop slightly with some new stuff too.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Maybe they'll throw everyone off and bump up the price.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Today sony introduced a 15.4" model with a blue ray drive, 2ghz duo, 4gb ram, 250GB hard drive for $1000. The version without the blue ray is $650.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...aio.cs.and.ns/

I think apple is going to have to come down quite a bit.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garetjax View Post

Today sony introduced a 15.4" model with a blue ray drive, 2ghz duo, 4gb ram, 250GB hard drive for $1000. The version without the blue ray is $650.

I saw that too! thats crazy! I really hope they do come down becuase then the top of the line "Macbook" would probably be 1100... I dont really want to go to the pro line as i like the 13" size. nice and portable yet powerful.. Now only if they can put a descent graphics card in, it would be PERFECT!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garetjax View Post

Was just going to post the same thing. Apple's offerings are looking pretty abysmal right now.

Sony VAIO: $999

15.4" 1280x800 screen

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB of RAM

250GB Hard Drive

Blu-Ray playback, read/write DVD+/- and CD-R/RW

6.4 pounds, 4 hours battery

Apple MacBook: $1099

13" 1280x800 screen

2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB of RAM

120GB Hard Drive

Combo drive, read/write CD-R/RW and only reads DVD

5 pounds, 4.5 hours battery

Meanwhile, you can't get Blu-Ray playback on a Mac no matter how much you spend.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

If they do drop the price by that much, correct me if I am wrong, it will reduce the profit margin Peter Oppenheimer said during his quarterly financial results call.

Exactly, but it's bullshit to call that "a product transition".
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Was just going to post the same thing. Apple's offerings are looking pretty abysmal right now.

Sony VAIO: $999

15.4" 1280x800 screen

2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB of RAM

250GB Hard Drive

Blu-Ray playback, read/write DVD+/- and CD-R/RW

6.4 pounds, 4 hours battery

I somehow doubt the blu-ray drive is included on that price model.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Sonystyle site doesn't have the prices posted yet but they do have the machines listed there.

This site:

lists the prices mentioned by Corey Bauer...
  • Reply 16 of 33
    $900 is a lot closer to what the current base Macbook, with its feature set, is actually worth. It's certainly not an $1100 laptop. But I don't see Apple cutting the price that dramatically while updating it at the same time.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The cost without the Blu-Ray drive is $650, which also takes the RAM from 4GB to 3GB.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

One can find better pricing on refurbs, but, Apple does not reduce the price of any current model in anticipation of the release of a new model. Current models will be full priced up to the minute that a new model is released.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    It's doubtful Apple will lower the price that much. True, Apple *could* easily compete at a $800-900 price level, but Apple has always regarded itself and its products as better than (needing to compete on a price basis). After all, no one complains about the price of a Beemer or a Ferrari.

That said, Apple studies consumer metrics and attitudes religiously, and I suspect they are very aware of (the importance of) 'psychological' price points. Long story short, a $999 MacBook may be quite likely.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Current models will be full priced up to the minute that a new model is released.

True, at which point, any remaining new stock will be sold at refurb prices.