Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1

Comments

• Reply 101 of 314
    1) Sync fast

2) Sync of updated apps downloaded through iTunes8 much much faster.

3) Apps not crashing

4) More 2G and 3G bars than before.

5) UI seems faster, scrolling from screen to screen

6) Contacts faster

7) Camera tiny bit faster to load, but still slow.

8) Backup much faster, although during the backup my iMac's HD made a lot more noise during the backup then I have ever noticed before.

Am I happy. Very much so. I use it for entertainment and phone calls mainly, and not as a business tool. One of the best products I have ever puchased in my 25 years as a computer geek.
  • Reply 102 of 314
    Quote:

I hope it's OK to ask this question:

Some had suggested that we might see a 64GB iPod and 32GB iPhone announced, but that clearly didn't happen.

I'm still really new to the Mac word (Mac Pro back in late May), so, do any of you know if this is a "reasonable rumor" and might still happen in the "near" future, or if it seems unlikely, that if it happens, it will likely be a year or so away?

Going Mac caught me by surprise, and I bought a new phone in March. So, I'm going to take a huge hit because of the subsidy thing. I'm willing to pay the money today to get a 16GB if the 32GB model is unlikely, but I would die if I bought one after work today and then in October or December (or January?), one was released.

Since I'm going to pay that penalty, I'm OK waiting a little longer if there's any chance, but I hate not synching my phone to my new computer. I've seen a couple utilities (Missing Sync) but they don't appear to sync mail, and I'd prefer going all Mac (I'm now saving for the new Macbook Pros coming out! WOO HOO!!).

I'd love it if some of you who are more used to Apple's product cycles and such could offer any advice on this.

Sincerest thanks,

Keith

This probably wont be much help as I don't know much about Apple's product cycles, however I will say that there is an iPod Touch with 32gb as you will know and this gives me the impression that a 32gb iPhone can't be to far off, since (and I think I'm right in saying this) the 16gb iPhone was announced not long after the iPod Touch got this memory option. They may well wait until the next generation iPhone is released to offer 32gb however.
  • Reply 103 of 314
    Previous to 2.1 when a call came in the entire screen was dominated by the photo of the incoming caller from your contacts.

Now it just shows a small photo and caller details at the top overlaid over your background image.

I'm probably just being resistant to change here, but my initial thought is I like the old way better.
  • Reply 104 of 314
    Downloading in installing as I type this. Download finished quite fast. Disappointed to see that there is no turn-by-turn. Any news on cut/copy/paste ?
  • Reply 105 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

This probably wont be much help as I don't know much about Apple's product cycles, however I will say that there is an iPod Touch with 32gb as you will know and this gives me the impression that a 32gb iPhone can't be to far off, since (and I think I'm right in saying this) the 16gb iPhone was announced not long after the iPod Touch got this memory option. They may well wait until the next generation iPhone is released to offer 32gb however.

Thanks! As I understand it, though, the reason is that iPod uses two chips, but the iPhone uses one. In the recent past, a 32GB chip was expensive, but hopefully is coming down in price every day. When it's low enough that Apple can use it, we'll see two 32GB chips in iPods for 64GB, and a 32GB chip in the iPhone.

Fingers crossed!!

Keith
  • Reply 106 of 314
    When downloading updates to apps and the attempting to sync and install them, I'm still getting the 0xE800002E error. I hope they fix this soon. It's pretty annoying having to uninstall apps and then reinstall them.
  • Reply 107 of 314
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Working without problem for me so far. They have definitely made the signal strength meter less sensitive - it hasn't left 5 for me, even when I put the phone near the floor.

It takes a while to install - there will be some people who start to panic and hit escape and pull out cables etc.
  • Reply 108 of 314
    Would be nice if Apple had an actual progress bar during the firmware upgrade to the phone. It did take a long time to do the upgrade and a little more info besides the message "updating iPhone" would have been nice. Very scary not know if it is going OK or if it is hung up, or just taking forever.

Other than that, the process went well with no hitches.
  • Reply 109 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Still there on my updated iPhone.

Ahh yes, but have they fixed it in the SMS App? I picked up an iPhone 3G earlier this week and one of the most annoying things I've notied is that the Caps Lock doesn't work when typing an SMS message.

OK ok...and my other beef is that you can't turn the unit sideways (landscape) in the Mail App. That is very irritating...especially when there is a lot of text to read.

Anyone able to confirm if they have fixed these two things? I will be updating to the 2.1 software when I get home from work this afternoon.

Cheers.
  • Reply 110 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Just press the Home button ....... and 'Snap!' it takes .....

LOL!
  • Reply 111 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bram100 View Post

Just installed 2.1 but cant find the genius function. Any clues?

Same here. Where is genius?
  • Reply 112 of 314
    After iPhone 2.1 install, I have not noticed a significant increase of speed on the Sync. No big deal, I am not in that much of a hurry when I do it anyhow.

HOWEVER, my mail would not work. I'd hit the mail icon, get a white screen, then it would just go back to the home screen.

I had to delete the mail accounts, reboot the phone, re-add the mail accounts, then all was okay after that.

One note, I use IMAP instead of POP.
  • Reply 113 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

But seriously, folks, where's my cut, copy, and paste????

Couldn't agree more. Some of us have been asking since June 30, 2007. It is getting to be tiresome...

\
  • Reply 114 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sylvaticus View Post

Thanks! As I understand it, though, the reason is that iPod uses two chips, but the iPhone uses one. In the recent past, a 32GB chip was expensive, but hopefully is coming down in price every day. When it's low enough that Apple can use it, we'll see two 32GB chips in iPods for 64GB, and a 32GB chip in the iPhone.

Fingers crossed!!

Keith

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. Can't imagine it's a long way off though!
  • Reply 115 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

Ahh yes, but have they fixed it in the SMS App? I picked up an iPhone 3G earlier this week and one of the most annoying things I've notied is that the Caps Lock doesn't work when typing an SMS message.

Ok ok, so I just read the messages noting that Caps Lock is turned off by default. Having just gone into Preferences / General / Keyboard, I was able to fix the caps lock issue in SMS.

However, someone please explain why Caps Lock would work for me in email messages, websites, etc...but not the SMS...while my Caps setting was turned OFF. That just seems strange that it would work in some Apps, but not others (while disabled in the pref pane).

Cheers.
  • Reply 116 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by denislemire View Post

Previous to 2.1 when a call came in the entire screen was dominated by the photo of the incoming caller from your contacts.

Now it just shows a small photo and caller details at the top overlaid over your background image.

I'm probably just being resistant to change here, but my initial thought is I like the old way better.

The previous version would treat the visual effects of calls differently based on the photo assigned to the contact calling you. If you only have a small picture of them synced from your computer then it will show the small picture as you described. If you had a larger image assigned on your phone it would use that photo. Are you sure it's not that?
  • Reply 117 of 314
    has anyone noticed interference when using their iphone with 2.1 as a phone? i'm getting loud interference which seems to be occurring when the unit is receiving email while i'm on the iphone...

does anyone else use their iphone as a phone?
  • Reply 118 of 314
    I'm happy for everyone for which this update made their device snappier, but my iPhone 3G is responding in the opposite way. I just updated, and everything is extremely slow now. Every app I open (and with app I mean, e-mail, contacts, SMS) takes 3 seconds or more before the display fully populates and becomes responsive. Going up/down folders in e-mail takes a couple seconds for each step. Opening an e-mail takes seconds... what's going on?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 119 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xitzjustalex View Post

Did anyone notice that their Bluetooth switched Off after the iPhone 2.1 update?

Yes! Mine doesn't seem to be working. I had it off all the time before 2.1. I tuned it back on to test Remote and although I get the BT icon at the top it does appear to be lit up. It wont connect to my computer.
  • Reply 120 of 314
    seems to be pushing mail more consistently... when I receive an email through outlook on my computer - my iphone buzzes - generally simultaneously - letting me know i have a new email... a positive.