Please help with purchasing decision

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys,

So my folks say "Heres $1500, go get yourself a notebook for University next year".

Now what im trying to figure is whether to purchase a Macbook to supplement my existing iMac or whether to SELL the iMac and upgrade to a Macbook Pro.

So the Mac lifestyle configuration is sorta like:

Quote:

20" iMac, Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM

+

Macbook

VS

Macbook Pro

But basically what I want is to play games at home and do work at school. Now whether its doing the games on my existing iMac and the work on my Macbook OR doing BOTH the games and work on a MBP, is what im trying to figure out.

So heres a few questions I thought you folks could help me with.

1. What do Mac-based University students mostly use? MB or MBP?

2. Even though my existing iMac is 2 years old, I still find it can play any game I throw at it. How long will this be the case?

3. Can Macbook's handle the game "Civilization IV"?

4; What config do you believe is better? iMac + MB or MBP on its own? Should I keep my iMac and get a Macbook to supplement it? Or should I sell it and a get a "All-in-one" Macbook Pro?

Cheers,

PS: I know new Macbooks are due soon, but there's still gonna be a Consumer model and a professional model. So just pretend im referring to those

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    check out this thread.

MacMall blowing out Macbook Pro

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=90707

Quote:

In preparation for Apple's long-anticipated portable product line refresh, MacMall is blowing out current-gen and legacy MacBook Pro models. The headliner of this marquis sales event is the 15" 2.2GHz MBP for $1,449.99—you get a lot bigger screen and dedicated graphics for $50 less than the 13.3-inch MacBook.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix-x34 View Post

Hey guys,

So my folks say "Heres $1500, go get yourself a notebook for University next year".

Now what im trying to figure is whether to purchase a Macbook to supplement my existing iMac or whether to SELL the iMac and upgrade to a Macbook Pro.

So the Mac lifestyle configuration is sorta like:

But basically what I want is to play games at home and do work at school. Now whether its doing the games on my existing iMac and the work on my Macbook OR doing BOTH the games and work on a MBP, is what im trying to figure out.

So heres a few questions I thought you folks could help me with.

1. What do Mac-based University students mostly use? MB or MBP?

2. Even though my existing iMac is 2 years old, I still find it can play any game I throw at it. How long will this be the case?

3. Can Macbook's handle the game "Civilization IV"?

4; What config do you believe is better? iMac + MB or MBP on its own? Should I keep my iMac and get a Macbook to supplement it? Or should I sell it and a get a "All-in-one" Macbook Pro?

Cheers,

PS: I know new Macbooks are due soon, but there's still gonna be a Consumer model and a professional model. So just pretend im referring to those

Dude, do not make A MOVE until you see what happens on the October 14th macbook event. I have a suspicion that those ipod price reductions he made on the September 9th event will also happen October 14th on the macbooks.

DO NOT make a purchasing decision before then!