Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.5.5, a recommended update for all users of Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard that includes over a hundred bug fixes and more than two dozen security enhancements.

As of press time, the 321MB update was only available via the Software Update mechanism located under the Apple menu of your Mac.

In addition to general stability improvements and over two dozen security enhancements, the update addresses issues with Address Book, Disk Utility, iCal, Mail, MobileMe, and Time Machine. A detailed list of those fixes follows:

General

Includes recent Apple security updates.Addresses stability issues with video playback, processor core idling, and remote disc sharing for MacBook Air.Addresses an issue in which some Macs could unexpectedly power on at the same time each day.Resolves a stability issue in TextEdit that could be found when accessing the color palette.Improves Spotlight indexing performance.Fixes an issue in which contacts might not sync properly with PalmOS-based devices.Improves iPhone sync reliability with iCal and Address Book.Includes improvements to Active Directory (see this article for more information).Improves Speech Dictionary.Fixes Kerberos authentication issues for Mac OS X 10.5 clients that connect to certain Samba servers, such as Mac OS X Server version 10.4.Includes extensive graphics enhancements.

Address Book

Addresses stability issues that may occur when creating a Smart Group.Resolves a printing issue with address cards containing information that spans more than one page.

Disk Utility and Directory Utility

Improves reliability when rebuilding a software mirror RAID volume in Disk Utility.Improves reliability of server status displayed in Directory Utility.

iCal

Updates iCal to more accurately handle repeating events.Improves performance when choosing meeting attendees.Resolves an issue in which the "Refresh All" option may be dimmed ("grayed out") in the contextual menu for certain calendars.Fixes issues with read-only calendars.Addresses an issue that prevents an invitee from moving an event to a different calendar.Resolves an issue with syncing published calendars.

Mail

Addresses performance issues related to displaying IMAP messages.Resolves an issue with SMTP settings for AIM, Compuserve, Hanmail, Yahoo!, and Time Warner Road Runner email accounts.Addresses stability issues that may occur when dragging a file to the Mail icon in the Dock.Addresses an issue with the "Organized by Thread" view in which the date does not appear when the thread is collapsed.Resolves an issue in which RSS feeds could temporarily disappear from the sidebar.Improves Mail robustness when sending messages.Improves reliability when saving drafts that have attachments.

MobileMe

Improves overall sync reliability.Improves Back to My Mac reliability.

Time Machine

Improves Time Machine reliability with Time Capsule.Addresses performance issues that may affect initial and in-progress backups.Fixes an issue in which an incorrect alert message could appear stating that a backup volume does not have enough free space.Time Machine can now back up iPhone backups that are on your Mac, as well as other items in (~/Library/Application Support).

On September 5th, AppleInsider cited sources who said Mac OS X 10.5.5 was only a week or two away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    Very cool. No mention of fixes like 'menu bar actually changes to match current application' or 'iTunes dashboard widget finally actually works', but graphics enhancements sound promising. I'm downloading, and may just do a permissions repair before installing ... you know, to get people talking about it .
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Wonder if there is support for the upcoming MacBooks built in, too . . .

I bet someone could find that . . .
  • Reply 3 of 106
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    feels snappier

/ducks
  • Reply 4 of 106
    New notebooks on Tuesday, anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 106
    I've decided to wait until the standalone installer is available.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Addresses an issue in which some Macs could unexpectedly power on at the same time each day

If that happened to me I would freak out
  • Reply 7 of 106
    I too will most likely wait for the non software update version to come out. By the way, even though my Safari browser has enabled blocking of pop-up windows, I still get them from this AppleInsider site. Does anyone else, and how do I eliminate their pop-ups?
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

I too will most likely wait for the non software update version to come out. By the way, even though my Safari browser has enabled blocking of pop-up windows, I still get them from this AppleInsider site. Does anyone else, and how do I eliminate their pop-ups?

The pop-up blocker does not block pop-ups the user requested. So ones that are attached to links might still get though, and if that is the case (and I am not sure if it is) AI intentionally attached em to links.

-Owl
  • Reply 9 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Very cool. No mention of fixes like 'menu bar actually changes to match current application' or 'iTunes dashboard widget finally actually works', but graphics enhancements sound promising. I'm downloading, and may just do a permissions repair before installing ... you know, to get people talking about it .

Hmmmm,

I wonder if at long last they have Permissions Repair actually fixed so that you don't have to wait around for the time it takes to prepare a four course dinner, eat it, and still have room for Dolphin on Toast.

Anybody?
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:

Addresses stability issues with video playback, processor core idling, and remote disc sharing for MacBook Air.

I thought Apple just pushed this fix about a week or two ago. Is this another, new fix for the same Air problem?

I sure hope so cause I downloaded the first fix and although it helped (went from being able to watch 20 min of video before sporadic freezing to about 40 min before sporadic freezing) it still didn't fix the problem completely.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    FYI, for a PowerBook G4 currently running 10.5.4, the update is only 136 MB.
  • Reply 12 of 106
    The size of the update depends on what you've already installed on your system. (And, just for the record, the update was also only 136MB on my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro)
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

And the reason it didn't mention things like that being fixed is because they STILL aren't . 11 months in and I still have more issues with Leopard than I have had with any OS X since 10.1, at release. Far out!
  • Reply 14 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

feels snappier

/ducks

WATCH IT! (throws empty Schnapps glass)
  • Reply 15 of 106
    updated with no issues
  • Reply 16 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Feels Schnappier.

(...and I really hate puns!)
  • Reply 17 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

At least you had the good sense to drink the Schnapps first
  • Reply 18 of 106
    136mb mbp c2d 2.16 10.5.4
  • Reply 19 of 106
    wake from sleep is incredibly fast now.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    Does not fix issues with InDesign.

Does not fix issue with inability to create Notes in Mail.