NetShare, tethering apps officially banned from App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
NetShare, an iPhone tethering application yanked from the App Store over a month ago, won't be making a return. A post on the developer's website reveals that Apple has officially decided that it will not allow tethering applications to be sold or distributed through the download service.

"As such, NetShare will not be available in the iTunes AppStore," the developers at NullRiver said. "We are seeing a lot of similar reports from various developers who's applications were abruptly removed and banned from the AppStore without any violations of the terms of service. This is all unfortunate news for the iPhone platform end-users."

NetShare was briefly available for $10 before it was pulled by Apple in early August. It's believed that AT&T objected to the software out of concern that it would tax its 3G network.

In an email to one customer, Steve Jobs reportedly revealed that Apple was discussing with AT&T the possibility of offering tethering capabilities to iPhone users for an added monthly fee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Wonder if that means people who bought it are entitled to a refund?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilles_deleuze View Post

Wonder if that means people who bought it are entitled to a refund?

Why would they want one? Supposedly, it still works for those that were lucky enough to get it...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Why would they want one? Supposedly, it still works for those that were lucky enough to get it...

it still works but is a pain in the butt to set up every time you use it, but its still nice to have the option...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I am surprised that it was posted to the store at all. I don't know what's in the store agreement, but the presentation about the app store sure gave me the impression that they wouldn't allow this kind of app.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I don't live in the states.

AT&T's objections don't mean a damn thing in my country.

Where is my tethering app?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I don't live in the states.

AT&T's objections don't mean a damn thing in my country.

Where is my tethering app?

But you live in the UK --- where O2's iphone terms and conditions DON'T allow the iphone to be used as a modem.

http://www.berble.com/index.php/comp...g-on-iphone-3g
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

But you live in the UK --- where O2's iphone terms and conditions DON'T allow the iphone to be used as a modem.

http://www.berble.com/index.php/comp...g-on-iphone-3g

I live in Canada, so where is my tethering app? It is really bs that AT&T can dictate terms to Apple on what apps they can allow users on other carriers to use. I really thought Steve had bigger cajones than that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I live in Canada, so where is my tethering app? It is really bs that AT&T can dictate terms to Apple on what apps they can allow users on other carriers to use. I really thought Steve had bigger cajones than that.

How do you know Rogers isn't at fault in your case? Why rush to blame AT&T when Rogers is a more onerous carrier on many counts?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The iphone is available in 80+ countries --- most of them have iphone plans with a restriction on tethering and with a 250 MB data allowance.

Is it really fair to blame AT&T on this?