Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    My iMac (about two weeks old) continually reboots after installing the 10.5.5 update. I am currently downloading the stand alone combo update on my macbook to try that. Not sure what the deal is, but the only way to get it to stop is to hold down the power button, and then it starts up normally with 10.5.4. Only weird thing is, is that when it starts up with 10.5.4 spotlight re-indexes all of my hard drives.

weird. \
  • Reply 62 of 106
    hey my imac rebooted twice as well - mid start-up.

but i do notice it a bit slower

coming from a windows machine, i have had lots of problems with mac os x series...

i think its karma for me switching to mac lol
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

Hey folks,

Just wanted to add the data.

My Aluminum iMac rebooted, and then rebooted again automatically mid-start-up. I am assuming that is not a good sign.

Once everything was up and running, everything appears to be running slower.

Suggestions?

-Fitz

The double-restart is normal. As for everything running slower, did you notice that Spotlight might be re-indexing? That happened to me and would cause a temporary slowdown.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

hey my imac rebooted twice as well - mid start-up.

but i do notice it a bit slower

coming from a windows machine, i have had lots of problems with mac os x series...

i think its karma for me switching to mac lol

Computers, particularly Macs, have been increasingly complex, and along wit this will come an increasing challenge to keep things running perfectly. Add to this the huge growth of the Mac, and the increasing pressure on Apple to keep innovating, and you can begin to see why things may not be as smooth as they were a few years ago.

Not making excuses, but it's a fact. The world is becoming increasingly connected, and this puts demands on our computers that weren't there before.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    To all the posters with machines having the reboot and slowness issues,

What Macs do you have? For example, iMac from the April 2008 update, or MacBook from the February 2008 update. It seems that the people with these issues have the newest Macs. If it's related only to the new iMacs then it could be an issue with them.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    I just installed the update on my powerbook G4, and now the backlighting on my keyboard keeps turning on for no reason.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacFitzPro View Post

Hey folks,

Just wanted to add the data.

My Aluminum iMac rebooted, and then rebooted again automatically mid-start-up. I am assuming that is not a good sign.

Once everything was up and running, everything appears to be running slower.

Suggestions?

-Fitz

I have two iMacs; 24" 3.06Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 20" Intel Core Duo. Both Rebooted twice, the second reboot taking place midway the first. Everything is super fine but snappier !!!
  • Reply 68 of 106
    12" PowerBook rev A 867mHz running 10.5.3

Should I bother with 10.5.5? I seem to remember I didn't install 10.5.4 because people said it was too slow on this computer. I wonder if the same is true for this update?
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

12" PowerBook rev A 867mHz running 10.5.3

Should I bother with 10.5.5? I seem to remember I didn't install 10.5.4 because people said it was too slow on this computer. I wonder if the same is true for this update?

The smart thing to do is:

Make a complete bootable backup of your 10.5.3 system, using Carbon Copy Cloner, to an external firewire drive.

Then update your system to 10.5.5 and use it for a week or two.

If it last's, is stable and you see improvements, leave good alone.

Otherwise, just resort back to your 10.5.3 backup and restore your machine to the 10.5.3 state.

Easy Peasy.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    Can someone explain to me once and for all, what repairing permissions actually does? It seems that whenever someone has a seemingly inexplicable problem, the recommended solution is always repair permissions.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    First I updated an old PowerBook and everything went OK. Then I did the Mini (1.67 Core Duo). Rebooted OK, but with beach ball icon and couldn't do anything (dock, apps, menu all unresponsive). Couldn't connect with Remote Management or SSH as I usually do. Didn't want to hurt the disk too much so I put it to sleep (was still responding to single click of hardware switch) and then pulled the plug. On boot, folder with question mark. Booted from DVD, went to disk utility and the internal drive shows no partitions. Any ideas?
  • Reply 72 of 106
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonepilgrim View Post

New notebooks on Tuesday, anyone?

That was my first thought as well.

Hopefully some form of hardware bump, at least.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Does not fix issues with InDesign.

I'm wondering if it's up to Adobe to fix that issue?

Still doesn't explain why those same issues didn't exist with 10.4, though?
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Installed the update hoping his would solve the problem with my MacBook Pro regularly refusing to type the letter "T" - it doesn't appear to have.

The problem seems to go back to the last firmware update (EFI 1.5.1) or more likely the keyboard update (1.0), anybody out there have the same issue?

Is it possible to revert back to an earlier firmware version (EFI 1.4) or remove the keyboard update?

Cheers!
  • Reply 75 of 106
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Installed the update hoping his would solve the problem with my MacBook Pro regularly refusing to type the letter "T" - it doesn't appear to have.

The problem seems to go back to the last firmware update (EFI 1.5.1) or more likely the keyboard update (1.0), anybody out there have the same issue?

Is it possible to revert back to an earlier firmware version (EFI 1.4) or remove the keyboard update?

Cheers!

It is more likely to be a faulty key.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    A problem using the CUPS printing environment with documents loaded into Apple's Preview application still exist. Anyone with the same problem??
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Does anyone know if MacBook Pro's "Yukon Uncorrectable PCI Express error" & mDNSResponder's network activity for over 2 mins have been fixed?
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Well, now it reminds me that it happened several times to me. I set my iMac to sleep before I went to bed and found out that it was somehow power on in midnight. I would definitely freak out if I witnessed it. I hope the update does fix this.

My iMac regularly wakes overnight for it's own purposes, it always has even when Tiger was on it. It seems to be whenever my MacBook wakes on the same network, but it will also wake on it's own.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

Hmmmm,

I wonder if at long last they have Permissions Repair actually fixed so that you don't have to wait around for the time it takes to prepare a four course dinner, eat it, and still have room for Dolphin on Toast.

Anybody?

Try un-checking the box to show progress during the permission fix. This should make the process proceed much faster. Re-checking the box afterwards, or looking in your logs, will show you what was corrected. YMMV.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

It is more likely to be a faulty key.

I had a new keyboard fitted about ten months ago, it worked fine after replacement. Something to look into though...