Phone keeps bouncing back to Home Page

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This started yesterday (Sunday) before downloading Firmware 2.1. Quite frequently, no matter what application I am using (i.e Mail, Safari, Phone, Contacts, Camera, etc) the phone will continuously bounce back to the Home Page without my ever touching the Home Button. Sometimes it will do it 10 - 20 times before it stops. I downloaded Firmware 2.1 and also reset the phone.....but it did not help.

Has anyone else had this problem? And what can I do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Try resetting your iPhone.

Hold down both buttons until the phone shuts off, "don't slide to turn off" keep holding both buttons until the phone goes past that screen and completely powers off. Put on your headphones when doing it, you'll know if you did this right if you hear a pronounced "pop" in the earbuds. If you don't wear the earbuds you won't hear any pop through the speaker - you need the earbuds.

Try that and report back to see if the issue is fixed.

If it's not fixed then; delete "all" third party apps, restart the iPhone, and then reconnect to iTunes and add the apps back on. This is a last resort though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Try resetting your iPhone.

Hold down both buttons until the phone shuts off, "don't slide to turn off" keep holding both buttons until the phone goes past that screen and completely powers off. Put on your headphones when doing it, you'll know if you did this right if you hear a pronounced "pop" in the earbuds. If you don't wear the earbuds you won't hear any pop through the speaker - you need the earbuds.

Try that and report back to see if the issue is fixed.

If it's not fixed then; delete "all" third party apps, restart the iPhone, and then reconnect to iTunes and add the apps back on. This is a last resort though.

Hi Ireland,

Thank you SOOOOO much for your reply. I reset the phone as per your instructions a few minutes ago. And so far it seems to be working fine. Will let you know if it didn't take. And then I will try deleting the 3rd party apps. But I don't seem to be having any problems at the moment. Again, Thank You! I REALLY appreciated your kind assistance in this matter.

Maria
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Ireland...spoke too soon. Back to the same problem. Will try deleting the 3rd party apps now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post

Ireland...spoke too soon. Back to the same problem. Will try deleting the 3rd party apps now.

Ha! Always the way.

Make sure you restart a few times, and don't delete the apps in the tab on iTunes. Do it right on the phone, x them out! Restart to be sure they are gone.

Oh, disable auto-sync in iTunes, make sure you uncheck all third party apps, delete your iTunes back up in prefs, and sync first by adding no new apps. Then sync 6 at a time until you got your iPhone back to where you were. Make sure the status spokes up on the carrier bar on your iPhone finish spinning before connecting to iTunes, after all the apps have been deleted.

2.1 fixes a lot of stuff, but I'd bet some issues my a corrupt 2.0.2 iPhone carried over for you.

If you don't have too much data on your iPhone, and don't mind the hassle; if I was you I'd actually delete the iTunes back up and do a complete restore of your iPhone.

Going fresh into 2.1 will make your iPhone experience so much better I'd bet. And will stop your having issues with further updates in the future.

P.S. don't be at all surpired if when you "x" out the apps and restart your iPhone, a couple, or more, of them are still around. Rinse and repeat until they be gone. That's my good deed for the day, now where's my kiss!?

• Reply 5 of 6
    Ireland,

Yes, I deleted the 3rd party apps on the phone itself....at least I knew that much (luckily). Then I reinstalled them. For about 1/2 hour all seemed well. Then the problem resurfaced. So I called Apple. They said I had done everything they would have told me to try (thanks to you). Since nothing worked they had me go to the Genius Bar to get a new phone.

I am TRULY grateful to you for taking all this time to try to help me out with this issue. You have been so very kind and informative. Thanks to you I know what steps to take if something should go wrong again.

Regards, Maria
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post

Ireland,

Yes, I deleted the 3rd party apps on the phone itself....at least I knew that much (luckily). Then I reinstalled them. For about 1/2 hour all seemed well. Then the problem resurfaced. So I called Apple. They said I had done everything they would have told me to try (thanks to you). Since nothing worked they had me go to the Genius Bar to get a new phone.

I am TRULY grateful to you for taking all this time to try to help me out with this issue. You have been so very kind and informative. Thanks to you I know what steps to take if something should go wrong again.

Regards, Maria

No problem. Good job calling Apple, you wouldn't believe how many never figure that step out.