iDisk - what gives

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been trying to use iDisk and let me say it's a pain the ass. First, any activity, like importing a movie, is slow as can be. I'm talking go get chips and a beer because this thing is going to take a while. Half the time iDisk just leaves the cursor spinning, leaving me to wonder after five minutes if it's locked up or what.

Secondly, I can't say that it's really intuitive as to how to use the thing. And the lack of a real user's manual isn't helping me. What is that icon on my desktop for iDisk? Is that stuff stored on my computer or does it call up my storage space on Apple's server? And why won't it let me drag and drop? It keeps giving me permission errors yet I can export from iMovie into iDisk just fine (well sorta, see first bitch above)

I also checked Apple's price for additional server space, and it's $1 a Mb. That seems unreasonably expensive to me.

I'd like to use iDisk to post family movie clips but I'm starting to get pissed. Speed it up and make it easier to use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Using iDisk on a dialup is certainly slow, if that's what you're doing. The iDisk icon gives you direct access to your server space at Apple, just like a hard disk. Dragging items to it will copy them across the internet to Apple. I've never had a problem with permission errors though... can't help you there. Try mounting it in MacOS 9, that may work better.

$1 per MB per year for unlimited bandwidth doesn't seem excessive to me, Web hosting seems to run about $20 for 200MB per month.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Apple's WebDAV (or whatever it uses) implementation into the "new" Finder seems to have bugs everywhere. It's significantly faster to access your iDisk if you use the Go menu's Connect to Server... item. Then, enter the address afp://idisk.mac.com and enter your login/password when asked.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    afp idisk is slow on dsl
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    One word:

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11096&db=mac"; target="_blank">Goliath</a>

This makes browsing your idisk really really fast. Upload and download speed are still relative to your connection.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Okay - thanks for your suggestions. I'll try again tonight. Last night was a bad night since I was recovering from a cold and had little tolerance for BS.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    iDisk (imho) is slow as molasses, be it dial-up, cable, DSL, or T1.

I find useful for transferring small files -- save for the at times excruciating lags (in both OS 9 and OS X). For large files, though... it requires a *lot* of patience.

Apple needs to fix this. iDisk is otherwise a great idea.

By the way, gobblegobble, the iDisk icon on your desktop represents all your files in your account on Apple's server. The one exception is "Software" which is shareware & freeware that you can download. Not sure about your permissions error -- haven't experience that. Yet.

p.s. Just tried Goliath for the first time. One word: wow. This is the kind of performance iDisk should have.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Hobbes ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    yes, idisk is really slow for me as well...my connection is as good as a T1.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    if you want it to be fast install VPC and run Windows 2000 or XP. You'll be amazed at how much faster it is in windows.. even emulated
  • Reply 9 of 9
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    How do you mount your idisk in Windows 2000 or XP? Been wanting to do so but never figured out how to :o

Anyway, goliath really helps to make it usable.