QuickBooks 2009 for Mac coming October 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    It's nice to see a more modern UI on QuickBooks for the Mac.. looking forward to checking it out when it arrives!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    ...and develop proper versions of Quicken and QuickBooks for the Mac (and iPhone).
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfanatic View Post

...and develop proper versions of Quicken and QuickBooks for the Mac (and iPhone).

Best idea I have heard in a long time....
  • Reply 24 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Best idea I have heard in a long time....

Better yet, just start from scratch and develop iMoney 64bit for Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Now if they will only release Quicken Financial Life soon!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Do they have a version of this for UK Mac users yet?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Is there any mac accounting software that doesn't suck!?

My sister called practically crying about how useless Quicken on a Mac was, but the most depressing issue was that the best solution is to use Parallels and run Quicken for Windows since all the native programs apparently suck as well!

How hard can it possibly be?! And when will there be a proper QuickBooks for Mac... or a great alternative?

Yes, it's called MYOB. I used to use it, and went to QB under Parallels as you describe (for eCommerce credit card sales automation). I was about to return to MYOB, but if they really did something here in QB 2009 for Mac, I might change my mind. Problem is, Intuit has a terrible track record with giving Mac users so much less. Meanwhile, MYOB hires a mac guy to run the new Mac division. Check out their new POS solution... available only on Mac. Now that looks promising. If they could only download shopping cart credit card directly into Mac MYOB (or QB's 2009 Mac), then we could drop the Parallels/Windows QB's like third period French!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So will this one not suck as much as all their other Mac attempts? Is there any mac accounting software that doesn't suck!?

My sister called practically crying about how useless Quicken on a Mac was, but the most depressing issue was that the best solution is to use Parallels and run Quicken for Windows since all the native programs apparently suck as well!

How hard can it possibly be?! And when will there be a proper QuickBooks for Mac... or a great alternative?

I have never heard a bad word about Moneyworks - I am planning on buying. It can work in happy unison with Daylite apparently, which is what I would love to check out. I wish someone would do an in depth review. Moneyworks can also be linked to Filemaker. I am presently using Simply Accounting with VMWare which works fine but is horrible to use, very non Mac, and can't link to Mail, iCal or Address Book. The lack of native mac integration is a major frustration and causes lots of extra work and data duplication.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is there any word on whether this version is built to handle the Canadian GST?

Moneyworks can
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

If you read my post you would have seen that I only quoted the part regarding Quicken, not QuickBooks.

As I get bills and make payments, I manually enter the data into the spreadsheets.

Again it isn't sophisticated but that is part of the beauty of it.

It is a pleasure to use and the beautiful graphs keep me on track.

Good for you Johnny. That has no scalability when it extends beyond your own pocketbook.

QuickBooks are targeted at firms and small businesses that require managing merchant accounts, auditing and much more.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have never heard a bad word about Moneyworks - I am planning on buying. It can work in happy unison with Daylite apparently, which is what I would love to check out. I wish someone would do an in depth review. Moneyworks can also be linked to Filemaker. I am presently using Simply Accounting with VMWare which works fine but is horrible to use, very non Mac, and can't link to Mail, iCal or Address Book. The lack of native mac integration is a major frustration and causes lots of extra work and data duplication.

Moneyworks can

MoneyWorks is the only Canadian solution available, so I'm familiar enough to know that it is solid software. That is, of course, once you get past the idea that its user interface is inspired by an ugly stepchild spawned by System 7 and that Linux thing.

Funny you should mention Daylite. Exact same problem. Amazing abilities rendered next to unusable by a complete and total lack of regard for proper user interface design.

Must be something in the Canadian water supply.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

I agree...

The one application keeping Windows in place at one of my clients is Quickbooks.

I'd be OK if their online product had feature parity with the desktop version, but it's got even less features than the Mac version (though the iPhone client is nice enough).

We looked at NetSuite - and while the product itself was great - they charge you $15K to install it yourself on top of the application rental, and the pricing goes up from there.

Outside of the emulation options - is there a "real" accounting package for the Mac that anyone here could recommend?

Bonus points if the backend is Filemaker, since we're already running the server.

Their online version of Quickbooks is useless since it required IE to run it.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quickbooks... ahhh.. it's just numbers but they can't seem to figure out how to make it compatible across platforms let alone versions. I wouldn't expect 100%, but they aren't even close. So a medium sized accounting firm like ours has to suffer through PC and Mac versions that don't speak to each other. We strongly encourage all our clients to move to MYOB.

We use an industrial accounting package not suitable for a smaller business but in order to keep up with clients who do minor bookkeeping/taxes, you have to keep these consumer apps around.

MYOB does a really good job sharing files with multiple users. It's slow but they listen to their customers and improve the package accordingly.

We've tried all the others but you end up with something proprietary that no one else uses. Plus most of the others don't have nearly the same output via reports.

This can be fixed. I wish Apple had an interest in this area to show these people how to code.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I've switched to Apple's Numbers.

It is hands down, the easiest and best personal finance software I have ever used.

I just created about 8 spread sheets that track:

-Debt

--Credit Cards

--Loans

-Payment Calendar

-Retirement Savings

-Investments

-FICO Score

-AT&T minutes calendar (helps me pace my usage)

Numbers creates beautiful charts that help me to see exactly where I'm at and keeps me motivated to keep improving my "numbers".

It seems like a regular accounting program would handle the first six items just as well, and would scale better to a small business or other financial changes than a spreadsheet would, and require less input and file management.

Quote:

As I get bills and make payments, I manually enter the data into the spreadsheets.

Again it isn't sophisticated but that is part of the beauty of it.

It is a pleasure to use and the beautiful graphs keep me on track.

Accounting programs can generate graphs too.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    What I don't get is if this is a Mac program intended to win back Mac users that have strayed as their product deteriorated, why use "Windows blue" bars at the top of every page and control? replace the traffic lights with MS's window controls and this could pass for a windows program. Looks like Windows fonts as well. Bad Cider port of the Win version?
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I run a small company that imports electrical products and sells them to other wholesales. I have independent reps in each state whom I pay on a commission basis. User interfaces are nice, but what I need for my business are the following functions in QB for Mac:

1. The ability to calculate & pay sales reps commissions instead of only on a salary basis. The commissions that I pay change based on the discount that they sell the product for, but the formula is simple. I also need the ability to split commissions when more than one sales rep is involved.

For any program writers out there here's an idea:

I found an add-on program for the Windows version of QB that calculates commissions automatically. Here?s the link:

http://www.geocities.com/llstinson/commcalc.htm

However, after contacting the programs author, he says he cannot convert it to the QB for Mac format.

2. The ability to pay patent royalties as a % of sales. Effectively this is the same as item 1.

3. Allow more than 11 characters in the PO field, needs to accept at least 20.

4. The ability to run a "QuickReport" on a vendor that shows all checks written, not just those linked to an invoice.

5. The ability to look up an invoice by inputting the invoice #.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Either AI was wrong or Intuit moved up the release. It's now scheduled for the end of September.

Still no word on whether it handles the GST or the new Canadian cheque format.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I"m not terribly happy with QB for Mac, but as far as I know, it is the ONLY package out there that supports multiple lines of business (classes). (For example, for separate rental properties.)

Right?
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I"m not terribly happy with QB for Mac, but as far as I know, it is the ONLY package out there that supports multiple lines of business (classes). (For example, for separate rental properties.)

Right?

There are two more business packages in this price point for the Mac that are serious accounting packages - and easy to use. The first is FirstEdge. The second is AccountEdge. FirstEdge is made for the sole proprietor, or someone without a corporation, payroll or inventory. AccountEdge is made for someone who has a corporation, payroll or inventory and can handle very nicely and easily multi-user capability AND multi-currency (in case you do international business).

Both of them really have not only a creative person in mind, but other types of businesses as well. For example, a small product development firm; building contractors; computer consultants; medical, dental or chiropractic office; software developers; apartment building owners - all of these are examples of types of clients I have on this software.

They come with easy-to-set-up accounts, so you don't have to be a CPA to set up the books.

AccountEdge has payroll built in (so no extra fees). However, if you don't want to do payroll and deal with the IRS and deadlines, there's the fabulous MYOB SurePayroll, which works with FirstEdge, AccountEdge or QuickBooks.

These packages have been on the Mac since the very beginning and are available at http://www.myob-us.com . BONUS: Because they've been on the Mac since the beginning, they're very Mac-like, unlike QuickBooks which is trying to catch up. Moreover, MYOB has a solid core, so you can depend on no data loss as each transaction is saved as it's recorded.

Every year, MYOB adds features to FirstEdge and AccountEdge its' clients are asking for. These are not features some guys in a boardroom decided they should add to sell the product. They're features clients asked for.

Final Bonus of the MYOB product line. The customer support for MYOB is right here in the US. Not only do they know they have a Macintosh product, they love their Macintosh product and their users. The customer support team there is highly trained. Their chief trainer runs around the US and also trains end users. Finally, if you ever have to call QuickBooks customer support for the Mac (I try to make sure my clients don't have to), they will get India, and some of the customer support people do not know they have a Mac product, so give PC directions. It's really sad.

I do consulting for many Mac accounting packages, including MYOB and QuickBooks. It appears that Intuit has once again put more frosting on its QuickBooks 6 (a 1998 product), making it Leopard compatible and putting window dressing on features it already had. Intuit also does a nice job of reviewing the MYOB product and copying some of it's features.

It's navigator is somewhat like it's PC product, but somewhat more confusing. Also, it's sales and purchase registers are almost a copy of MYOB's (which MYOB has had for years). I haven't gotten to test the QuickBooks product yet, but the PC version of online banking requires that you work with certain banks, and you normally have to pay a fee to the bank for the integrated online banking feature. This is because Intuit charges the banks for them to use the feature. MYOB's is free.

There are lesser or greater products than MYOB or QuickBooks, but both of them do a nice job of doing accounting. If you're an accounting geek, there is also MoneyWorks (which is an international, not a US product). iBank (which is just a checkbook) and Marketcircle's Billings (which only does invoicing, but it's cool) are more lightweigh versions. Netsuite is state of the art full CRM and really, it needs configuration and setup, and it's a serious investment. There is also the ever-ancient Multi-Ledger, and the mid-level AcctVantage.

The Mac is ever more becoming a serious environment for business, so if you want to know more about real accounting packages for the Mac, check out Apple's web site at http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/accounting.html
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smallbiz View Post

if you want to know more about real accounting packages for the Mac, check out Apple's web site at http://www.apple.com/business/solutions/accounting.html

Great summary there, smallbiz. Interestingly enough, that page you linked to has our firm profiled (Nelson Accounting). It's a couple years old and has since been reedited and chopped up a bit as Apple saw fit. It was really fun and educational and proved to be a good marketing and employment tool for us. We still get calls from all over the place from Accountants and Bookkeepers who've seen the profile and want to go all Mac and need a tip or two.

If you ever get a chance to be profiled, I'd highly recommend it.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Does anybody else besides me think that Quicken's user interface is crap? What's sad is that I tried iBank which is a "built for mac app" and it basically used the same interface. Like somebody else mentioned, I've turned to Numbers.