Apple's North American notebook share jumps 60 percent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Brisk sales of Apple's MacBook product lines have seen the company's share of the North American notebook market surge more than 60 percent on a yearly basis through the second quarter of the year, according DisplaySearch.

In a quarterly notebook shipment report released Wednesday, the NPD-owned firm reported that the Mac maker's share rose from 6.6 percent in the second quarter of 2007 to 10.6 percent for the three-month period ending June -- the largest jump out of all PC manufacturers doing business in the region.

Apple's success came largely at the expense of rivals Toshiba and Acer, both of which saw significant declines in their share of the market during the same 12-month period. In particular, Acer saw its share fall some 22.5 percent from 18.6 percent to 14.4 percent, while Toshiba's share fell 21 percent from 11.4 percent to 9 percent.

"The data calls into question Acer?s acquisition of both Gateway/eMachines and Packard Bell," said John Jacobs, Director of Notebook Market Research for DisplaySearch. "While the move immediately prevented competitors from getting more of a foothold in the rapidly growing US and European retail notebook PC sectors, the last few quarters' results clearly show that Acer is struggling to integrate the Gateway and Packard Bell brands into their portfolio."

Acer's share of the notebook market in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) was also down from 20.9 percent to 17.9 percent, while Toshiba saw marginal success by boosting its share a little over 2 percentage points to 11.7 percent.

"Both Gateway and Packard Bell were losing notebook PC market share prior to their acquisition, but the acquisition has failed to reverse, or even halt that trend,? Jacobs added.

Apple did not rank amongst the EMEA's the top five notebook vendors.

Overall, 13.3-inch to 16.0-inch notebooks saw the largest growth during the second quarter of the year, accounting for more than 88 percent of notebook shipments, according to DisplaySearch. Desktop Replacement Notebook PCs, or those having a 17.0-inch or larger display, fell to just 7.5 percent market share after having been close to 10 percent share during the same period last year.

Ultraportable systems with screens ranging in size of from 10.4-inches to 12.1-inches continued to struggle, with their share shrinking to just 4 percent of the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    This is from T-Mobiles german Site

http://www.it-shop.t-systems.de/tsys...ticleid=294426

Could it be?????

Do the Current Pros have backlit keyboards?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pirategleep View Post

This is from T-Mobiles german Site

http://www.it-shop.t-systems.de/tsys...ticleid=294426

Could it be?????

Do the Current Pros have backlit keyboards?

Sorry ignore that....introduced in March.....I guess we have to wait longer to see the real deal
  • Reply 3 of 42
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It amazes me how Apple are able to weather the credit crunch so well.

I would have expected punters to hold-off on purchasing expensive notebooks, electing to stick with what they already had instead ? and if push came to shove, going for whichever nasty notebook Tesco's are shifting this week.

But it seems as though Apple are doing far better than their competition.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ultraportable systems with screens ranging in size of from 10.4-inches to 12.1-inches continued to struggle, with their share shrinking to just 4 percent of the market.

So much for the need of an ultraportable!
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I think the study's definition of an ultraportable is inconsistent with what people today expect. A 10" screen is what I would classify as a sub-notebook, while an ultraportable is 9" or less.

Apple isn't going to go out of business by not selling an ultra-portable, but they will lose some of mine. I just can't lug my 17" MBP around with me when traveling all the time. An Air doesn't offer a significant enough size and weight reduction to justify the purchase, especially when factoring the reduced functionality and cost. An Eee PC on the other hand is an easy sell for many of my core needs, especially when it is just a weekend trip or overnight stay.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pirategleep View Post

Sorry ignore that....introduced in March.....I guess we have to wait longer to see the real deal

Is this an old rumour? I just saw the link on the Stuff.tv website today.

Looks very much like the iMac styling from what I can see.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

I need to remember this article the time posters swear that a Mac ultraportable* is imminent.

* I refer to the MBA as an ultralight notebook, not an ultraportable do to its footprint.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Is there a reason those EMEA numbers don't add up to 100%?

Just checking...
  • Reply 9 of 42
    only if Apple to release 13" 15" 17" (heck i know it is 17") Macbooks and lower the prices
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Clearly the result of people making the switch!
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Brisk sales of Apple's MacBook product lines have seen the company's share of the North American notebook market surge more than 60 percent on a yearly basis through the second quarter of the year, according DisplaySearch.

And the stock continues to take a pummel.

--Dave
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Then why is Apple stock prices going down when Apple sales are up?

I bit confused???
  • Reply 13 of 42
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I bit confused???

Tens of thousands of formerly affluent folks are out of a job this week and 10x more are worried about theirs. Do you think buying iPods, iPhones, and Macs are on their minds right now?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Yup - so much for that. There is a lot of wishful thinking when it comes to new Apple product predictions. I think Apple does a lot of market research followed by number crunching and I can't see the sums really making for a high priority area of development.

Personally I don't get the point of an ultra portable - you get the worst of both worlds - too big for the pocket yet so small it is frustrating to work on. If you have to lug it around anyway why not get an Air?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

I bit confused???

Stock price tends to be determined by expected future results. Surely you have noticed that a significant part of the economy is in something close to free fall. Tax payers are going to be on the hook for cleaning up a huge mess left behind by the crooks who have privatized gain and socialized loss (hedge funds, securitized mortgage "instruments", etc). Whether you agree with my editorializing or not this might be a serious impediment to sales of higher priced items like MBP. If Apple does aggressively cut margins and prices in their October surprise this might be a great buying opportunity for Apple stock. I sold when Apple was near $200 per share. I wish I were in a position to buy at these bargain prices (I do expect the seriously lower prices, but that is obviously just a guess).
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Tens of thousands of formerly affluent folks are out of a job this week and 10x more are worried about theirs. Do you think buying iPods, iPhones, and Macs are on their minds right now?

The stock market operates on a system of barely controlled panic and chaos. Any bit of bad economic news, confirmed product announcements from Apple, quarterly numbers, etc. will cause investors to short the stock or take profits.

The stock market is rational at the individual level and a full-blown riot in the aggregate.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

I bit confused???

Nice try.....
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Apple brings us great news and Wall Street gives us* another swift kick to the balls!

*I'm a shareholder, therefore, a part-owner.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I wonder if recent market conditions will sway Jobs and Apple to release a low cost MacBook for $799.

On one hand they don't need to (with a huge share jump noted in this article), but that was then.

It's not as rosy looking forward. Mom and Dad may opt to buy a little Billy a $599 HP laptop instead of a $1099 MB.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

It amazes me how Apple are able to weather the credit crunch so well.

The thing that is surprising here is the peception that the economy is really that bad. It is not booming but manufactures around here are having issues finding employees. Sure the demand is for the more technical or skilled types but it does indicate need for smart people, the kind of people that buy Macs.

Quote:

I would have expected punters to hold-off on purchasing expensive notebooks, electing to stick with what they already had instead ? and if push came to shove, going for whichever nasty notebook Tesco's are shifting this week.

I take the above and parse it to mean you are British! In the US however this is how we look at it, or at least I do, if the local economy goes belly up you need to be mobile. That is you need to be able to pack up and move to where the work is this the sales of notebooks go up against the overall economic climate. One has to consider the issue of communications in this mix too, it is not easy finding a job with out net access and once you find a prospect net communications becomes even more important. Frankly if my income where to dry up my note book would be one of the last things that I'd get rid of.

The only thing more economical than a note book and portable is something like Apples Touch based devices. If things got really bad I could see the sales of Touch going up as they are looked upon as a cheaper more portable alternative to a laptop. Of course here you have the issue of software but that is quickly being resolved. Fortunately the economy isn't so bad that we see people relying upon Touch like devices. That could happen though.

Quote:

But it seems as though Apple are doing far better than their competition.

At least here in the USA Apple benefits from the screw ups at the competition. Many vendors have forgotten that the market reacts to the lack of quality in their products. Plus the perception of Vista is pretty bad. So you have the combo of bad hardware mixed with bad software. Now the markets response is not instantanous, I believe for example that Dell will be suffering significantly in the next few quarters as a result of a lot of trash hardware being put on the market. Not that Apple escapes this either as AIR has proven to be trash also but it isn't a significant business for Apple and informed buyers know not to go there.

While it is certainly possible that The economy will tank big time but I don't see it happening. Instead we have a market right now where owning a Mac Portable could be looked upon as a smart move. That due to a numer of reasons including running a number of operating systems side by side. Today it is all about flexibility, durability and hanging with manufactured that can weather economic storms.

Dave