First Google-branded Android phone to arrive at iPhone pricing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first mobile handset running Google's Android software will showcase the search giant's brand and be priced in line with Apple's iPhone 3G, according to the Wall Street Journal.

In an article on its website Thursday, the financial paper said the HTC-manufacturered device, known amongst Internet circles as the Dream, will be priced at $199 and required a two-year service contract with T-Mobile when it's announced September 23rd.

In addition, the handset will feature co-branding from Google, which has reportedly helped T-Mobile finance some of the development efforts. Together, the pair plan to announce separate but "aggressively priced" data services packages for the device because Google "wants to see the phone sell at high volumes."

Among the Dream's features -- seen in the video below -- will be a large touch-screen, a track-ball for navigation and a swivel-out full keyboard, the Journal said. It will also run several Google applications, such as Maps, and feature an online market place akin to Apple's App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    Looks like a glorified Palm pilot.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    I thought the iPhone was wildly overpriced? Guess not........
  • Reply 3 of 75
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Sorry HTC, the only cellphone manufacturer out there is Apple. Nobody will buy your stupid shitty phone with its stupid features.

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Sorry HTC, the only cellphone manufacturer out there is Apple. Nobody will buy your stupid shitty phone with its stupid features.

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

I'm confused? How much total marketshare does Apple have in the VAST cellphone market? And not everyone needs a multimedia phone. I'd bet that most phones sold in the U.S. are flip or bar phones with small screens and just a numberpad -- you know, the ones that are likely free after rebate or $20 after rebate with a two-year contract.

For those people that simply need to make phone calls and take a few crappy pictures every once in a while, what more do you need?

Now if we're talking "smartphones", the iPhone has a sizeable portion of the market, but it is hardly the only cell phone manufacturer out there.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It looks like it solves some of my major iPhone complaints:

1. The iPhone is just too thin and portable. I forget it's in my pocket. Come on, give me some bulk!

2. The iPhone has no complex hinges or sliding parts to jam up or break over time. Where's the fun in that? Operating my phone should be like playing with a Transformers toy--and it should require two hands to do so. I get lazy pulling my iPhone out and typing without ever needing my other hand.

The iPhone's big multi-touchscreen lets the phone do away with those other parts. Glad to see not everyone feels the need to take advantage of that philosophy. Two different ways to point--finger directly, or indirectly via trackball. Too cool Well worth extra space in my pocket!
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm confused? How much total marketshare does Apple have in the VAST cellphone market? And not everyone needs a multimedia phone. I'd bet that most phones sold in the U.S. are flip or bar phones with small screens and just a numberpad -- you know, the ones that are likely free after rebate or $20 after rebate with a two-year contract.

For those people that simply need to make phone calls and take a few crappy pictures every once in a while, what more do you need?

Now if we're talking "smartphones", the iPhone has a sizeable portion of the market, but it is hardly the only cell phone manufacturer out there.

If Apple built a phone that was just a phone, no iPod functionality and no internet, I would have still bought it as it's a hell of a lot better than my previous phone (a RAZR).
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... will be priced at $199 and required a two-year service contract with T-Mobile ...

It should say "and requires a two-year service contract".
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

I prefer not to go down the bashing route. I see this on WIRED's forums too much and I don't understand why. I think competition is a good thing. Plus, what might be right for me may be craptasticly wrong for others. I dig Apple and I'm most comfortable with Apple because of the field I'm in. I do think they have fantastic product design/integration that other are scrambling to mimic. But like I said, competition is a good thing.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Could that video have been any worse? I suspect the final product may be a little better than the impression given here. It'd better. From HW pov it looks bad, like nagromme points out. I think most people will buy this phone because of Android, however. Can't wait for the reviews.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It looks like it solves some of my major iPhone complaints:

1. The iPhone is just too thin and portable. I forget it's in my pocket. Come on, give me some bulk!

2. The iPhone has no complex hinges or sliding parts to jam up or break over time. Where's the fun in that? Operating my phone should be like playing with a Transformers toy--and it should require two hands to do so. I get lazy pulling my iPhone out and typing without ever needing my other hand.

• Reply 10 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sweet! I look forward to seeing what fresh ideas Android can bring to the table. As for the price, $199 is a little steep for a device that is EDGE only, unless the data package is only $20. How much on-board flash does it have for $199?
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

But like I said, competition is a good thing.

Agreed--and from open source, not Microsoft. All the better!
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Gruber said it best at the launch of the original iPhone, when he said the market was now divided between those who want a free handset, and those who want an iPhone.

There's little reason now to pay for a handset that isn't an iPhone, and I'm just not seeing the appeal of Android. Competition is a good thing, but to anyone whose main objections to the iPhone were pricing and being "locked in" to a carrier for 18 months, how is Android attractive?

Let's leave aside the fact that, like the MacOSX and Vista development timelines, by the time Android actually hits the streets, iPhone will already be at Version 2.1, possibly 2.5 or higher, while Android will still be working out the 1.0 kinks.

I'm all for cutting edge technology, but until I see some compelling features, the iPhone seems like a much safer, more stable bet! Ultimately, I must concur with the above poster:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Looks like a glorified Palm pilot.

\
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdas7 View Post

Let's leave aside the fact that, like the MacOSX and Vista development timelines, by the time Android actually hits the streets, iPhone will already be at Version 2.1, possibly 2.5 or higher, while Android will still be working out the 1.0 kinks.

I won't tell you how I got a copy of iPhone 2.1 software (you can Google it) but I did And I can say it fixes a few kinks of its own. And leaves me looking forward to the features Apple didn't finish for 2.0 because they were focused on the SDK and App Store.

Anyway... I agree about the lack of appeal, but still, there are people for whom AT&T coverage is poor, and if their T-Mobile coverage is good, this might be worth a look. (Better yet, avoid Android 1.0 hardware and OS just like I avoided iPhone 1.0, and see where it goes in a year.)
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet! I look forward to seeing what fresh ideas Android can bring to the table. As for the price, $199 is a little steep for a device that is EDGE only, unless the data package is only $20. How much on-board flash does it have for $199?

Edge only?

Same price.... half the speed.

Can't wait for the ads to come out.

I thought the iPhone price was too high and Edge was too slow?

Are these people really coming out with something to compete with the iPhone 1.0?
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:

Apple 4ever.

Peace out.

You know what, youre wrong.

I am very excited for this phone. I want to buy it on day one. Why?

There is no way on god's green earth I am switch to ATT wireless. The iPhone is a problem though. I wouldnt mind an iPhone, but its just not gonna happen. Also, If I had an iPhone, id look like a pretentious asswipe, which I dont want either. Seriously though, It is what I think, and I know many others who see the iPhone in someone's hand and thinks the same thing. I think the same about my friends with an iPhone... sorry to anyone Im offending, you just have to deal with it.

I also want a phone that actually renders html. Looks like the G1 is my phone.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    LOL, you suck for even being dumb enough to buy a Razr...those phones suck. HTC phone are great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

If Apple built a phone that was just a phone, no iPod functionality and no internet, I would have still bought it as it's a hell of a lot better than my previous phone (a RAZR).

• Reply 17 of 75
    Can you explain why it's good from open source but not from MS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Agreed--and from open source, not Microsoft. All the better!

• Reply 18 of 75
    I don't think too many people find an iPhone pretentious. What are people pretending, if there's no alternative product they could choose? Mobile Internet has gone mainstream. Too late to put that genie back in the bottle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Can you explain why it's good from open source but not from MS.

Because Microsoft is known for its monopolistic and anti-consumer business practices and its sluggish pace of innovation. I'd rather see mobile platforms take off without a tie-in to the existing personal computer monopoly.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    And Apple isn't?

Quote:

=nagromme;1310493

Because Microsoft is known for its monopolistic and anti-consumer business practices and its sluggish pace of innovation.

• Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

And Apple isn't?

No, it isn't.