Microsoft to spoof Hodgman in new "I'm a PC" television ads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    I think Bill just saw Jerry with his Iphone in His Trailer on the set

From CNBC>>>> They started with such fanfare: Microsoft on the offensive, launching a new TV ad campaign, spending $10 million for the services of comedian Jerry Seinfeld, who would be part of a massive, $300 million ad spend.

To say the ads were met with mixed reviews is putting it kindly. Seinfeld joined Bill Gates in these quirky ads that made little sense, had virtually no message, and sent tongues wagging not for their creativity or how compelling they were, but how weird they were instead.

A blog or two speculated tonight that Microsoft would announce the end of those ads tomorrow. I've just spoken to a Microsoft source who confirms the ads will cease, that Microsoft is canceling them after only a few weeks and will be making that announcement tomorrow.

Confirmed.

It's a stunning rebuke for an ineffective concept that seemed misguided from the beginning, and had no chance at all of competing against the wildly successful "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads. (I've written a couple of posts recently about this.)

And it's an even bigger black eye for ad firm Crispin Porter+Bogusky. The firm's had a spotty track record with avant-garde concepts that resonate for their strangeness, sometimes more than their effectiveness. Sadly, for Microsoft, this might be another one of those times.

Microsoft tells me that the plan was never to use Seinfeld beyond the two or three ads he's already appeared in. I find that next to impossible to believe. That's a healthy chunk of change for such a tiny amount of work. If true, then Microsoft sure seems to be playing fast and loose with its money, and in an economy like this one, that's a bit of a surprise. If not, why lie about it? It's not like the ads were a secret. We all saw 'em. And most of us had the same reaction.

Just a shame that Microsoft [MSFT 24.74 0.17 (+0.69%) ] didn't have the same reaction before those ads actually made it to air.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I doubt Apple would respond or brainstorm. Advertising wise, they have M$ by the balls. No response necessary, just tighter grip.

Agreed, Apple don't respond to anyone - they lead......
  • Reply 43 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukemeiser View Post

lol. I hope there is no "approval" process. Cause I think Mac users would have more fun with that then the people who are "passionate" about their PC.

And after PC users fight WMP and reboot a couple of times they will have lost their video and the rest of their hard drive to a virus anyway. So I'm predicting the majority of PC users won't get to post a video at all!

Agreed. I am already working on my PC user video.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple should come up with some kind of ad pointing out that Macs can run Microsoft Windows too. ...

How about this:

NYC streetscene (downtown)

A businessman is playing the Microsoft advertisement on some kind of tiny screen POS WinMobile device, and as the camera zooms out the add sputters and fails. He's obviously having problems.

We see a person beside him casually holding an iPhone who smiles shows him the same ad running smoothly in wide-screen.

That person then turns and shares a knowing glance with a third person sitting on a bench to one side. They have a Powerbook on their lap and the same ad runs in a virtual Windows window right on top of Mac OS-X.

All this is happening just as the original MS ad is going on about how Windows runs on all types of devices ...
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

This thread is fun, but ppl are kinda missing the big picture...

The way these things work is usually a progression along these lines:

Step 1: IGNORE

Step 2: RIDICULE

Step 3: ATTACK

Step 4: COPY

Step 5: STEAL

This is also an accurate description of the history of John McCain's presidential campaign, which has gone through all these phases ("copy" being when they introduced Palin and "steal" being when they started running against their own party). To people who think I'm needlessly introducing politics to this discussion, it's not needless. I'm pointing out that Microsoft is engaging in blatant identity politics in their campaign. They're not talking about benefits of their product, they're talking about the people who use them and implying that denigrating their product is denigrating the "real" people who choose them. It's an admission of Microsoft's defeat by the criteria Apple uses and thus they seek to change the criteria of winning.
  • Reply 46 of 79
    Has anyone else seen the Windows "Mojave" ad(s)? I'm not sure if it's just one ad or if they have several featuring different people.

As though it's shot with a hidden camera, the ad features regular people being shown a "new" version of Windows called "Mojave". There are lots of "Ooohs" and "Ahhhs" and even a "That's cool," but whatever they're looking at (i.e., features, applications, UI, etc.) is never shown or described.

Then it's revealed that they've actually been shown Windows Vista. "THAT'S Vista??" is the universal response among the "surprised" people. The ad closes with a narrator inviting viewers to "Come see what they saw..." at a Microsoft website. I haven't bothered.

Is this ad part of Microsoft's $300m ad campaign or is it something different? Though deliberately mysterious, or at least trying to be, the ad deals with the Windows Vista product directly (so to speak) and could spark curiosity, if not genuine interest, with some people. It definitely seems much more effective than either of the Seinfeld ads, by itself or as a teaser for a lengthier ad series.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple should come up with some kind of ad pointing out that Macs can run Microsoft Windows too. [snip]

Phrase it as being able to "choose" between OS X and Windows on one machine, and any Microsoft ads about walls begin to look especially silly.

What is especially silly is that without a proper right click on MacBook/MacBookPro it is difficult to use Windows, or OS X for that matter, unless you buy a mouse and forget about the whole trackpad altogether.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What is especially silly is that without a proper right click on MacBook/MacBookPro it is difficult to use Windows, or OS X for that matter, unless you buy a mouse and forget about the whole trackpad altogether.

. . . or just tap with two fingers at once.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Hoo boy, it's about to get interesting. I'm eager not so much to see the MS ad(s) but to see if/how Apple will respond. I suspect they're in meetings right now, brainstorming possible responses and are calling Hodgman to see how soon he's available.

Here's a good idea of how to retaliate, why not have a commercial showing each of Apple's different computers, all running XP/Vista? I mean, if you really need Windows, you can run it on a (new) mac...
  • Reply 50 of 79
    this.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

. . . or just tap with two fingers at once.

Windows uses right click a lot more than Mac. It would be nice to right click hold and drag for example to copy files. But I don't want to hijack this MS TV ad thread into a rant about no right click buttons. Apple has been digging their heels in about this issue for years. It wouldn't kill them to have another button - especially if they want to advertise that it runs Windows.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

. I'm pointing out that Microsoft is engaging in blatant identity politics in their campaign. They're not talking about benefits of their product, they're talking about the people who use them and implying that denigrating their product is denigrating the "real" people who choose them. It's an admission of Microsoft's defeat by the criteria Apple uses and thus they seek to change the criteria of winning.

?First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.?

Mahatma Gandhi
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

One word - sad.

Another word: Lie.

Users happy with their PCs? Surely...NOT.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    At least the two companies haven't stooped to politcal style ads. I'm waiting for that to happen someday. "Steve Jobs wants you to buy more iPods. Steve Jobs wants you to only use media purchased from his store. Steve Jobs made the iPhone buggy on purpose so you'll have to buy a new one next year. Steve Jobs wants your children to recycle all of the iPods sold by him and now in landfills. Steve Jobs, he hates the planet..... and he hates you." - Paid for by Ballmer for America.

That would be funny.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:

Windows uses right click a lot more than Mac. It would be nice to right click hold and drag for example to copy files. But I don't want to hijack this MS TV ad thread into a rant about no right click buttons. Apple has been digging their heels in about this issue for years. It wouldn't kill them to have another button - especially if they want to advertise that it runs Windows.

Now I see your point. There's more to right-clicking than bringing up a context-sensitive

mini menu. But you're right about the heels being dug in, also . . .
  • Reply 56 of 79
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Right now, I don't want anything to change. I think we might be in a sweet spot, where microsoft's dominance in the mass market forces Apple to define itself as a narrower, more expensive but superior experience.

If microsoft failed or apple gained more market share would apple still need to treat us so well.

I have never owned a Mac, but I went into an apple store to check out the iPhone. While I was there, the staff spent 30 minutes demonstrating all the processes and setup for connecting my legacy email accounts to the phone. Looking over the table, I see a very elderly couple with a big stack of papers, while the apple staff helped them turn it all into wedding invitations. A guy came in with some hardware fault on his Mac Pro, the guy that took it from him promised to repair it personally in the workshop out back, then the customer joined a workshop for an hour to see the new features in Leopard. By the time that was finished, he went upstairs and walked out with his Mac Pro fixed. I must have spent 2.5 hours in there chatting with the enthusiastic and knowledgable staff. At no time was I ever hassled to buy anything.

I know that when I buy my first Macbook soon, if there is anything I cannot get working, I can just pop into the Apple Store and sit for 30 mins with someone, for free, and they'll walk me through.

There will be bumps along the way, but no viruses. How can smaller differences in features matter when a customer is empowered that much?
  • Reply 57 of 79
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple should just incorporate it in their ads by having Hodgman run on the set and out of breath and the Mac guy asks where PC has been and PC can say "moonlighting for MS as a PC. (a brief pause) Literally!" (I think that succinctly says it all)

That is a great idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

In the apple ads, isn't Pc supposed to represent the operating system and not the user?

Yes. I thought I'd just add the question; Doesn't it seem to anyone else besides me that the Microsoft ads make the family members to appear to be dolts?. Not a good thing to make your customers seem dolts or bizzare. Maybe my perception is wrong though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Right now, I don't want anything to change. I think we might be in a sweet spot, where microsoft's dominance in the mass market forces Apple to define itself as a narrower, more expensive but superior experience.

If microsoft failed or apple gained more market share would apple still need to treat us so well.

I have never owned a Mac, but I went into an apple store to check out the iPhone. While I was there, the staff spent 30 minutes demonstrating all the processes and setup for connecting my legacy email accounts to the phone. Looking over the table, I see a very elderly couple with a big stack of papers, while the apple staff helped them turn it all into wedding invitations. A guy came in with some hardware fault on his Mac Pro, the guy that took it from him promised to repair it personally in the workshop out back, then the customer joined a workshop for an hour to see the new features in Leopard. By the time that was finished, he went upstairs and walked out with his Mac Pro fixed. I must have spent 2.5 hours in there chatting with the enthusiastic and knowledgable staff. At no time was I ever hassled to buy anything.

I know that when I buy my first Macbook soon, if there is anything I cannot get working, I can just pop into the Apple Store and sit for 30 mins with someone, for free, and they'll walk me through.

There will be bumps along the way, but no viruses. How can smaller differences in features matter when a customer is empowered that much?

You surely must not be an AAPL stock holder.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    Quote:

The Mac OS has had right-clicking contextual menus built-in since OS 8.6, I believe. You don't NEED a second mouse button, it's optional. The Apple method has always been to use Command Keys and mouse. The Mac Os can be run almost exclusively from the keyboard, in fact.

Multiple button mice have been available from third parties since around 1986. I had a Kensington Turbo Mouse trackball with 2 buttons. It was controllable via software. You've been free to buy any third-party multiple button mouse for 20 years.

The Apple Mighty Mouse that ships with every desktop Mac (except the mini) has been available for what, 3 or 4 years and while you can't SEE the right button, there is indeed a built-in right button. Apple uses a rocker switch instead of separate switches for left and right clicking. It can be activated or not using the Keyboard and Mouse System Preference.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Jeez Microsoft - isn't it enough that you copy all Apple's user interface ideas? Now you have to copy their ad campaign too?

That's EXACTLY how Apple can respond to MS's new ad. Hilarious!
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

?First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.?

Mahatma Gandhi

OR... "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you die." Somehow, it's just not as uplifting a message.