October macbook event....what is the mysterious...BRICK?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Really I think everyone has to stop and think about Apples timing of these events. If you take a different perspective it is easy to see the calendar alignment of the events in a different light. So I offer up the following:

The September event isn't about iPods so much as it is making ready for the seasonal or end of summer change in our culture. This in includes the back to school crowd and those giving up summers pleasures. This an event that has lots of stuff (iPods) focused on people that have to refocus their energy.

Like wise an October event should be seen as a laptop event but rather as an event that peeps inventory for the Christmas shoping season. So expect to see the new low end laptops at the very least. But that is not all that needs to be released and thinking like this really has me thinking the Minis replacement.

Everyone hear loves to point out how the Mini gets no love. Well I don't see it like that at all. Rather I see a low margin machine that needs to earn it's keep via longevity in the market place. With todays technology it would be possible for Apple to lower Minis price or add more functionality. The could do more of course and do that in a smaller package. What is clear is that the time is ripe for the introduction of a Mini replacement. That is there are now very feasable GPU and processor replacements available along with very small storage devices. In otherwirds they can cram slot more into that box or use a differeent box altogether.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really I think everyone has to stop and think about Apples timing of these events. If you take a different perspective it is easy to see the calendar alignment of the events in a different light. So I offer up the following:

The September event isn't about iPods so much as it is making ready for the seasonal or end of summer change in our culture. This in includes the back to school crowd and those giving up summers pleasures. This an event that has lots of stuff (iPods) focused on people that have to refocus their energy.

Like wise an October event should be seen as a laptop event but rather as an event that peeps inventory for the Christmas shoping season. So expect to see the new low end laptops at the very least. But that is not all that needs to be released and thinking like this really has me thinking the Minis replacement.

Everyone hear loves to point out how the Mini gets no love. Well I don't see it like that at all. Rather I see a low margin machine that needs to earn it's keep via longevity in the market place. With todays technology it would be possible for Apple to lower Minis price or add more functionality. The could do more of course and do that in a smaller package. What is clear is that the time is ripe for the introduction of a Mini replacement. That is there are now very feasable GPU and processor replacements available along with very small storage devices. In otherwirds they can cram slot more into that box or use a differeent box altogether.

Dave

You over think Apple-related things. The only predictable thing in Apple's calender are new iPods around September. Everything else is up in the Air.

If Apple has lots of stuff ready for announcement for next January then we'll likely see this event with new laptops, if not then we likely won't see any event until Macworld.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You over think Apple-related things. The only predictable thing in Apple's calender are new iPods around September. Everything else is up in the Air.

If Apple has lots of stuff ready for announcement for next January then we'll likely see this event with new laptops, if not then we likely won't see any event until Macworld.

But the macbook event is all but confirmed Ireland. There will be one on October 14th which will be focused on Macbooks. The question is what else might be released besides the notebook. If there is nothing besides notebooks then we will know for sure that all the real exciting stuff is being saved for MacWorld.
  • Reply 44 of 124
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

But the macbook event is all but confirmed Ireland. There will be one on October 14th which will be focused on Macbooks. The question is what else might be released besides the notebook. If there is nothing besides notebooks then we will know for sure that all the real exciting stuff is being saved for MacWorld.

So it's not confirmed then?

Nothing is guaranteed until Apple announces it. Nothing event-related. Probably will happen, but it's not guaranteed. We know nothing "for sure".
  • Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

I found an image of The Brick:

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos...7/machello.jpg

Nice pic.

For a second there I thought u might have gotten a real pic from a real source.

Seriously for a sec, I haven't found not one decent clue anywhere on the net about what this "brick" might be.

I'll keep searching.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Cube to Mini to Brick. Entry level Mac with a little more goodies than the Mini.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

cube to mini to brick. Entry level mac with a little more goodies than the mini.

choke!
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hey, at least that would have some respectable storage space. I'm thinkin' at least 240GB.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    Except in all reality there isn't as much room for everything as you'll see by looking at what is under the hood.

They were really trying to give it that 'sturdy' feel.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Except in all reality there isn't as much room for everything as you'll see by looking at what is under the hood.

They were really trying to give it that 'sturdy' feel.

When intel moves to the 32nm process you'll get more space...
  • Reply 53 of 124
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator

"Electricity was sent wirelessly to a lamp on stage, lighting a 60 watt bulb that uses more power than a typical laptop computer."

It's about time they did this mainstream. They were doing this back in the 70s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alw_l0YA2pg

I wonder what will be the side effect of all those magnetic fields. Maybe us folks with too much iron will instinctively know which way north is. It will at least have some consequences for inadequately shielded magnetic storage media.

Whatever happens, it's a big step forward not just for computers but for all electric devices.

The brick won't use this though as you can see from the video demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5kbYjlplKA

The coils are too big, the range is too small and it's too directed a transmission.

The only way it would apply to iphones if it's an announcement like this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/ap...ean-303171.php
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Really guys it's not that hard to figure out. All of apples notebooks are adopting a slate tablet form factor. The brick is an actual brick (made from recycled material) you place on your desk to prop the thing up.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

A netbook wouldn't make sense as the Air basically is a netbook.

No it's not. The Air is nowhere near to being a netbook. Chop it down down to 10" and then maybe you have a point.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    What a horrible code-name. A tech object that no longer functions at all is considered a "brick," because it has the same value as a piece of masonry. I really doubt that has escaped Apple's marketing department.

you might as well code-name it FAIL.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

What a horrible code-name. A tech object that no longer functions at all is considered a "brick," because it has the same value as a piece of masonry. I really doubt that has escaped Apple's marketing department.

you might as well code-name it FAIL.

While one slang term for "Brick" is indeed what you have described, there's a second slang term for brick that's more applicable: "An outboard power transformer of the kind associated with laptops, modems, routers and other small computing appliances, especially one of the modern type with cords on both ends, as opposed to the older and obnoxious type that plug directly into wall or barrier strip."

If there is indeed such a product code-named "Brick", the logical deduction would be that it pertains to a power device. Being that it's just rumors, it's just fun and games anyway.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    It better be a Mac Mini.

I have been patiently waiting for a replacement for my dead one for 3 months now, There is a brick size space under my TV that urgently needs filling. I will wait until 14th October but then that is long enough and if no new MacMini I will be buying one of the Dell Studio Hybrids. With Blu-Ray drive and maybe will try and put OSX on it if I can get that USB hack thing working on it.

I honestly cannot justify buying a replacement MacMini from the existing line-up, It would not be a wise purchase. And as much as I do not want a windows machine under my TV I would feel like Apple leave me no choice. My hacked AppleTV is trying to be a replacement but it really is not cut out for the job and of course it was never designed to do the job.

So please let the Brick be a MacMini and please let it have Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Don't get your hopes too high. I don't see it being a Mini. Let alone a Mini with Blu-ray.

That Dell looks nice. I'm praying for an upgrade to the Mini as well.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    I hope Apple moves their arse because I need to buy a laptop SOON!!!