New macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im extremely confused. Are they coming out with new macs? If so, when?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you want a laptop wait, they "MAY" me announced in October.

Though there are never any guarantees.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Macs?

That's kinda vague..
  • Reply 3 of 27
    What about Mac Pro updates ? Anyone ?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodymatzohball View Post

Yes. In the future.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Really ? a new iMac is coming up ?

Is it Apple's strategy to produce a new upgrade every say 2 years ?

So, when was the current iMac first appeared in the market ?

And I am curious too.

Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Uh, guys, if you are reading this, you are already in front of a computer, and surfing the web. Maybe try and run a search or two, might be surprised what info you can actually find all on your own!
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I feel safe in saying that yes, there will be new Macs.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Uh, guys, if you are reading this, you are already in front of a computer, and surfing the web. Maybe try and run a search or two, might be surprised what info you can actually find all on your own!

That takes work, but more importantly, having to think.

I'm joking guys. What kind of Mac are you wanting to be upgraded?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

That takes work, but more importantly, having to think.

I'm joking guys. What kind of Mac are you wanting to be upgraded?

I am hoping for best guess information/timeframe estimates on Mac Pro tower updates. I have 8 workstations (dual 2.7 G5's) and 2 Xserves to be replaced by December this year (moved up due to budget changes for 2009). We will not be replacing these workstations again for 4-6 years so I am looking to get the most bang per dollar. Any guidance offered will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lola

ps These workstations are for heavy duty graphics. thanks
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LasseHoile View Post

What about Mac Pro updates ? Anyone ?

Thats obviously in January's MacWorld event. I thought this was already understood (raises nose like apple snob).
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrsB51r View Post

I am hoping for best guess information/timeframe estimates on Mac Pro tower updates. I have 8 workstations (dual 2.7 G5's) and 2 Xserves to be replaced by December this year (moved up due to budget changes for 2009). We will not be replacing these workstations again for 4-6 years so I am looking to get the most bang per dollar. Any guidance offered will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Lola

ps These workstations are for heavy duty graphics. thanks

Intel will be releasing the first of its new generation of processors in November-ish. Desktop models first, but I would think that the server/workstation version will follow in a month or two. So a Mac Pro update in January is most likely.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Thats obviously in January's MacWorld event.

I don't know. What's so obvious about this? MacWorld has always been a consumer show, and the Mac Pro is the one computer by Apple that definitely does not fit that bill.

This year in January Apple introduced new Mac Pros a week before the MacWorld event.

In the past Apple introduced new Mac Pros in November and the new server class Core i7 chips should be available at that time.

Still other years Apple introduced new Mac Pros in April.

I'm not saying Olternaut is wrong, but I do not think it obviously has to be at or around MacWorld. I wouldn't be surprised if it's November or March/April.

We know updates have to come the moment Intel stops offering Penryn server class CPUs, but that might be as late as June next year.

p.s.

The longest stretch between Mac Pro updates in the last 6 years was 10 months, and that only happened once. All other update intervals were shorter than that.

Now consider that the last update was January 8th of this year. To wait another record 10 months would mean updates in November this year.

If the next update happens in January next year, that would mean an unprecedented 12 months without updates.

I know past update patterns are no guarantee for the future.

But I can see an update in November, as it has never been longer between updates previously.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    mac pro and macbook updtaes would be nice
  • Reply 14 of 27
    The lineup could very well be:

September: new iPods

October: new Macbooks and new MacBook Pros, perhaps a merger of all Macbooks into one product line.

November: new Mac Pros

January (MacWorld): new iMacs, new Mac mini, perhaps 'one more thing' like a Mac tablet or Mac touch, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayareamacaddict View Post

mac pro and macbook updtaes would be nice

Its on October 14th.....my birthday. I asked Steve he could debut them on my birthday and he agreed. But thats after I slapped him around some.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

.......snip

p.s.

The longest stretch between Mac Pro updates in the last 6 years was 10 months, and that only happened once. All other update intervals were shorter than that.

Now consider that the last update was January 8th of this year. To wait another record 10 months would mean updates in November this year.

If the next update happens in January next year, that would mean an unprecedented 12 months without updates.

But I can see an update in November, as it has never been longer between updates previously.

First Mac Pro was introduced in August 2006. The first update was 511 days later in Jan. 2008. You can't count an update in April 2007. That was just an additional processor added. Not an update to the Mac Pro line. So 511 divided by 30 days equals about 17 months.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I don't know. What's so obvious about this? MacWorld has always been a consumer show, and the Mac Pro is the one computer by Apple that definitely does not fit that bill.

This year in January Apple introduced new Mac Pros a week before the MacWorld event.

In the past Apple introduced new Mac Pros in November and the new server class Core i7 chips should be available at that time.

Still other years Apple introduced new Mac Pros in April.

I'm not saying Olternaut is wrong, but I do not think it obviously has to be at or around MacWorld. I wouldn't be surprised if it's November or March/April.

We know updates have to come the moment Intel stops offering Penryn server class CPUs, but that might be as late as June next year.

p.s.

A new Mac Pro could very well come in November. It is entirely dependent on when Intel ships the 2-socket Nehalems, I think.

And on the subject of the Mac Pro, I think the new Radeon HD 4670 would make a spectacular base video card. Just in case Apple is reading this.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Intel just released its 6 core Dunnington chip.

Wonder if it'll make it into the Mac Pro. That should tide people over until Nehalem makes it to market.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Intel just released its 6 core Dunnington chip.

Wonder if it'll make it into the Mac Pro. That should tide people over until Nehalem makes it to market.

No. Wrong socket (604).
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Bill Gates' first post at AppleInsider. Welcome.