Mac virtualization software sales booming

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    What I'm more interested in is Crossover. This kind of technology is something that in my opinion has the MOST potential. The ability to run Windows Programs on the Mac without Windows is the way to go. I know it may not be perfect yet, but this idea makes the most sense. Why waste time and money installing windows when you don't have too?
  • Reply 42 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

What I'm more interested in is Crossover. This kind of technology is something that in my opinion has the MOST potential. The ability to run Windows Programs on the Mac without Windows is the way to go. I know it may not be perfect yet, but this idea makes the most sense. Why waste time and money installing windows when you don't have too?

Becuase for a lot of users, it's not just about running the programs, it's about testing stuff inside the entire OS.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Becuase for a lot of users, it's not just about running the programs, it's about testing stuff inside the entire OS.

There are also a lot of issues with it with the tech that make it less than ideal for Apple to want develop and support. Robert X. Cringely has been one of the greatest proponents of Red Box, but there are just too many issues with it. Even now with Crossover, they have issues with some basic apps. I have IE6 installed in a Win98 bottle with CrossOver for the occasional testing and even that has some quirks after all this time.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

If they ever got the very latest version of IE and Microsoft Mail it would be very useful, as it is they seem to only support old versions (last time I tried it). However, we have to use these for work related issues and use VMWare with Vista Business and I have MobileMe Control Panel added to Vista so iPhone and Macs all sync with MS Mail, Calendars and Contacts (works perfectly by the way). I am dubious this could be done in Crossover as there would be no Control Panel would there? Correct me if this is an incorrect assumption.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Most IT departments don't want to support Macs because, frankly they don't want to support anything that is non-standard. It takes more effort and time to do so, and time is a precious commodity in most shops. Most IT people I know are indifferent to Macs, they don't hate them, they just don't have the time to understand them.

I use VMWare fusion because most of my work is done doing system administration on Window boxes, it's easier to use the VPN solution through Windows and then use the Windows RDP tool on the servers I'm dealing with. There are linux RDP solutions but it's just easier for me to use the built in tools.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edmonal View Post

I use VMWare fusion because most of my work is done doing system administration on Window boxes, it's easier to use the VPN solution through Windows and then use the Windows RDP tool on the servers I'm dealing with. There are linux RDP solutions but it's just easier for me to use the built in tools.

What's wrong with using VPN in OS X and the OS X RDP client? Works very well for me.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What's wrong with using VPN in OS X and the OS X RDP client? Works very well for me.

Did not know about that, thank you. I'll go bug the Network guy to give me the specifics on setting up the Cisco VPN client for Mac.