Why-oh-why can't quicktime use multiple-cores?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Could anyone shine a light on this question for me?

If i remember correctly i saw quicktime do a render with all 8 cores going full bore at an apple seminar once. Why do i have to wait for an hour for a render being processed by 1 core at a time (the active core switches every 3 seconds)

Maybe it's render settings dependant?

image added to illustrate the annoyance. (imagine "estimated time remaining: About two hours" underneath the progress bar)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    It depends on what is being processed and the codec used. Often it's a linear process where only 1 thing can be calculated at a time before moving on to the next piece which would only allow one processor to be used since it can't calculate anything else at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baos View Post

Could anyone shine a light on this question for me?

If i remember correctly i saw quicktime do a render with all 8 cores going full bore at an apple seminar once. Why do i have to wait for an hour for a render being processed by 1 core at a time (the active core switches every 3 seconds)

Maybe it's render settings dependant?

Yeah it depends on the compressor but most things done in Quicktime take ages. Quicktime X in 10.6 will hopefully be reworked to solve this problem. It may even have hardware accelerated encoding.

For nearly all my encoding needs, I use VisualHub. It always uses my processors to full capacity, supports batch encoding and uses faster encoders. Plus it exports mpeg-1 and wmv, which is handy if you ever target powerpoint presentations.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    This is why we are going to love 10.6...

Compressor can segment certain types of compression jobs equal to the number of cores you have.

Laters...