iPhone owners wrestle with missing e-mail downloads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    Hi Everyone

This is a problem of comms with the carrier not particularly Apple, I've had it twice now and got it again with 2.1. The solution is simple.

Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings...Done

Listen to BagelTechNews on iTunes if it works for you and thank you.

Ewen
  • Reply 42 of 87
    This has been a problem for me ever since they introduced the Fetch ... I've been waiting to see if it ever became an issue with others .
  • Reply 43 of 87
    My iPhone works great with Push and MobileMe. In fact it works so well that I turned the feature off because I got annoyed with the constant vibration for new email. I'll get my mail when I am ready to get my mail. My battery thanks me too for not constantly checking for mail.

No one's lives are going to end because you have to check mail manually. Some of you are whining spoiled cry-babies that need to stop complaining and just deal with it.

I would like to know if the people that have the most problems have a stock iPhone, or if they fucked it up by either unlocking it or jailbraking it. If they have done either of the two, they have no basis for complaining since they screwed up the phone by hacking the software.

My iPhone works great, never had any problems, ever. OS 1.1.4 was rock solid. The only problem I did have was the slow response with the 2.0 software, but that was fixed with 2.1. I have 16 apps/games and all work great. None of the Apple apps ever crash, and now with 2.1, rarely does a third-party app crash.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    I'm an Apple fanboy also, but I have to say that the problems with the iPhone have raised my blood pressure more than ever before, than with any other Apple product. After the 2.1 upgrade I'm still getting sucky battery life, slow contact scrolling (but better than before), general slowness all round (reminds me of OS X when it first came out) and the dreaded email problems. I've not seen a new email on my phone for over 24 hours and I've been wasting my time responding to emails on my phone having to not have them sent or even received by the recipient.

Bad news all round.
  • Reply 45 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

I'm an Apple fanboy also, but I have to say that the problems with the iPhone have raised my blood pressure more than ever before, than with any other Apple product. After the 2.1 upgrade I'm still getting sucky battery life, slow contact scrolling (but better than before), general slowness all round (reminds me of OS X when it first came out) and the dreaded email problems. I've not seen a new email on my phone for over 24 hours and I've been wasting my time responding to emails on my phone having to not have them sent or even received by the recipient.

Bad news all round.

As you know the iPhone has many things working simultaneously such as Wifi, 3G, EDGE, and BlueTooth. If these technologies do not get managed well, you'll drain your battery fast, read this article on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
  • Reply 46 of 87
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No one's lives are going to end because you have to check mail manually. Some of you are whining spoiled cry-babies that need to stop complaining and just deal with it.

Expecting a product to work as advertised makes someone a spoiled cry-baby?

F*ck you.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

So, despite the 350+ (or whatever) posts on Apple.com, I doubt the issue is affecting as many iPhone users as some posters above believe. It certainly may be "global" - but that's a geographic term. ;-)

Well as i said earlier including myself i know 6 people who have iphones, and ALL of us have this problem, my friends say anyone they know has this problem too. So not everyone may have it but i certainly do not think it is isolated and i certainly think at 50% of people are having this issue, having been in the apple store brentcross london yesterday and while waiting to book an appointment at the genius bar i could hear two people talking to a genius about the exact same thing.

Not to mention i grabbed a display model phone, which i know gets fake emails sent to it all the time for customers to view with nice graphics, i checked setting, set to fetch, yet when i went to mail it downloaded 7-8 emails.

wilco I COMPLETELY agree with your comment, expecting something to work as advertised is not expecting much.

Apple also said in an email that 6 people in their building is having the problem, so they obviously did not test a damn thing.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BagelTechNews View Post

Hi Everyone

This is a problem of comms with the carrier not particularly Apple, I've had it twice now and got it again with 2.1. The solution is simple.

Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings...Done

Listen to BagelTechNews on iTunes if it works for you and thank you.

Ewen

Didn't work for me , been waiting almost 20 minutes with push turned on.
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

As you know the iPhone has many things working simultaneously such as Wifi, 3G, EDGE, and BlueTooth. If these technologies do not get managed well, you'll drain your battery fast, read this article on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Thanks BB - a very useful thread. A couple of observations:

Heat will degrade your battery?s performance the most

I live in a place where its 30˚-34˚ during the day, 27˚-29˚ at night, with up to 95% humidity.

And then there are the following recommendations:

Minimize use of location services:

Fetch new data less frequently:

Turn off push mail:

Auto-check fewer email accounts:

Minimize use of third-party applications:

Turn off Wi-Fi:

Turn off Bluetooth:

Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas:

Adjust brightness:

Turn off EQ:

Turn off 3G:

Doesn't leave much left does it! What is the point of having such features/services when the manufacturer advises to use them less or not at all!?

Sorry, but its all a bit too negative for my liking and something Apple must be in the process of rectifying...... I hope?
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

Thanks BB - a very useful thread. A couple of observations:

Heat will degrade your battery’s performance the most

I live in a place where its 30˚-34˚ during the day, 27˚-29˚ at night, with up to 95% humidity.

And then there are the following recommendations:

Minimize use of location services:

Fetch new data less frequently:

Turn off push mail:

Auto-check fewer email accounts:

Minimize use of third-party applications:

Turn off Wi-Fi:

Turn off Bluetooth:

Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas:

Adjust brightness:

Turn off EQ:

Turn off 3G:

Doesn't leave much left does it! What is the point of having such features/services when the manufacturer advises to use them less or not at all!?

Sorry, but its all a bit too negative for my liking and something Apple must be in the process of rectifying...... I hope?

I'm not sure what your problem is with heat - it clearly states that you're fine if your max temp is 34C "Your iPhone works best from 32° to 95° F. You should store it in environments of -4° to 113° F. That’s 0° to 35° C and -20° to 45° C for the metrically inclined."

Apple isn't saying turn all that stuff off - they are saying if your battery isn't lasting as long as you'd like here are some things you can do. I don't think that's strange at all - all manufacturers say the same thing. If you've got a laptop and are in an area w/ no Wi-Fi they tell you to turn it off to save battery. Of course if you don't care and the battery will last long enough for you then it's no issue. Apple is just pointing out all the things that use extra battery power and allowing you, the user, to decide if those features are worth turning off to save some battery.

And since we're all about anecdotal evidence here I'd like to say that mine works fine and I know 8 other people and none of them have a problem. I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist but I think, like all things, we tend to think it's affecting more people than it really is. That being said they should still fix it but to say they didn't test it at all is just plain idiotic - how long had Apple been shipping out developer betas of 2.1? I understand people are a little upset (ok, maybe more than a little) but I'd just advise some level-headedness (unlikely I realize but still), your heart will thank you for the decrease in blood pressure
  • Reply 51 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

My iPhone works great with Push and MobileMe. In fact it works so well that I turned the feature off because I got annoyed with the constant vibration for new email. I'll get my mail when I am ready to get my mail. My battery thanks me too for not constantly checking for mail.

I would like to know if the people that have the most problems have a stock iPhone, or if they fucked it up by either unlocking it or jailbraking it. If they have done either of the two, they have no basis for complaining since they screwed up the phone by hacking the software.

My iPhone works great, never had any problems, ever. OS 1.1.4 was rock solid. The only problem I did have was the slow response with the 2.0 software, but that was fixed with 2.1. I have 16 apps/games and all work great. None of the Apple apps ever crash, and now with 2.1, rarely does a third-party app crash.

Ours work fine too, strange how many folks with a only couple of post seem to have such major issues. Perhaps there is a correlation?
  • Reply 52 of 87
    I had noticed some issues with the mail, but in my experience, fetch works over edge when push is deactivated. it just doesn't work with 3G. I have tested push over 3G and it does not work for gmail. I can't prove it, but I also suspect that push breaks fetch when its turned on w/3g.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    It took me a while to figure out, or research, but the iPhone doesn't fetch email over Wifi!

So, MobileMe, Enterprise, yahoo will not push email if you have a Wifi signal....

I find this ridicules.

Does anyone know why?
  • Reply 54 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I'm not sure what your problem is with heat - it clearly states that you're fine if your max temp is 34C "Your iPhone works best from 32° to 95° F. You should store it in environments of -4° to 113° F. That?s 0° to 35° C and -20° to 45° C for the metrically inclined."

Apple isn't saying turn all that stuff off - they are saying if your battery isn't lasting as long as you'd like here are some things you can do. I don't think that's strange at all - all manufacturers say the same thing. If you've got a laptop and are in an area w/ no Wi-Fi they tell you to turn it off to save battery. Of course if you don't care and the battery will last long enough for you then it's no issue. Apple is just pointing out all the things that use extra battery power and allowing you, the user, to decide if those features are worth turning off to save some battery.

And since we're all about anecdotal evidence here I'd like to say that mine works fine and I know 8 other people and none of them have a problem. I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist but I think, like all things, we tend to think it's affecting more people than it really is. That being said they should still fix it but to say they didn't test it at all is just plain idiotic - how long had Apple been shipping out developer betas of 2.1? I understand people are a little upset (ok, maybe more than a little) but I'd just advise some level-headedness (unlikely I realize but still), your heart will thank you for the decrease in blood pressure

There you go using logic, again.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ours work fine too, strange how many folks with a only couple of post seem to have such major issues. Perhaps there is a correlation?

It is because they work for a living instead of posting all day on AppleInsider. This problem is most detrimental to business workers who rely on receiving email promptly.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    We have not had any big problems with our iPhones. Just a few teething ones.

Folks have no idea about how complicated computer programs can be.

This is not a gross simplification - Last time I looked, there were over 1,500,000 files on my computer. It's now pushing 2 MILLION. All those different things have to work together. For the most part they do. But if you change something in one part of a program, or a setting, it can have unintended consequences someplace else.

You try and get your head around all that. It's not possible for a person.

If you have a good design and the program is robust, there can be hiccups and, for the most part, things keep ticking.

You know Apple will make things work right.

The iPhone is a new configuration. It will be improved. The hiccups will be fixed.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Not good-why would anyone ever want to Beta test their phone line?
  • Reply 58 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Sounds like: too much, too little, too late.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rshames View Post

I have had this problem before the 2.1 update. The update seems to have helped but not cure this. I am assuming it is a carrier problem because email is not the only thing that stops checking. Today I received a voicemail 2 hours after it was left.

More than likely it is stemmed to the network and not the iPhone. AT&T's network has been overloaded and is still not 100% reliable yet. Who knows when it will be...

There is your 2 cents for the day...
  • Reply 60 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Macintosh View Post

More than likely it is stemmed to the network and not the iPhone. AT&T's network has been overloaded and is still not 100% reliable yet. Who knows when it will be...

There is your 2 cents for the day...

Overloaded as in: Inferior? Incompentent? All of the above?

Please explain your source of reasoning the blame to AT&T. Why is it overloaded?

If Apple knew it had limitations - why even release 3G?

That's like a cable company offering HD channels and then telling you that they might not come in all the time and you'll have to watch the regular channel in the meantime. Who would ever want or accept that?