iPhone owners wrestle with missing e-mail downloads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pani View Post

It is because they work for a living instead of posting all day on AppleInsider. This problem is most detrimental to business workers who rely on receiving email promptly.

So how exactly would your iPhone's Mail app know which is a work email and which is a non-work email, or are you suggesting that posters on AI can't read the time stamps on emails if they post more than x-many posts per day?
  • Reply 62 of 87
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I have had this since I first got the 3G and went straight to 2.0 (or 2.0.1?). Two people I know with 3G's has the same problem and a friend with a gen 1 iPhone has the same problem.

This affects Push and Fetch and happens if I am on 3G or WiFi. I have 6 mail accounts setup, 4 are set to Fetch, and an Exchange and MobileMe are set to Push. I have tried going a few days with Push off and/or 3G only. Regardless, almost daily, I stop getting new mail. I will check a few of my accounts on my computers or get a notification and have waited up to an hour to see if iPhone Mail would show me the new mail. I have opened Mail and forced it to query each account separately, and still the new mail does not show up.

The only solution I have found so far is to open Mail and do a Force quit by holding the Home button down. Immediately, even before opening Mail again, the Mail badge will start to show new messages have come in. This is consistent. Now I am in the habit of opening Mail every couple hours and doing a force quit so I can verify if I have new mail.

This isn't a huge bug for me, but it is a pain in the ass and I was really hoping that 2.1 would fix it. When I first went to 2.1, it didn't happen for a couple days. But now it is back to the same state as prior to 2.1. I have done a full restore to see if that helped, but it did not. For now, I will just keep force quitting.

A much more serious issue for me a problem with Send. I have on a few occasions sent mail, through various accounts (Exchange, MobileMe, Rogers) and while the Mail Send Progress bar shows the message was sent, it does not appear in my Sent message box and does does not get sent or takes as much as 5 hours before it gets sent. This is a major bug and needs to be fixed. I can live with killing Mail periodically to make sure I get new make. I cannot use the iPhone for important emails if I cannot trust that the email will make it to the server.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    This article is the first I'd heard about the problem. I'm probably affected along with everyone else, but I hadn't paid any attention to it (I do receive push email as far as I can tell). Sorry others are more severely impacted. I'm sure the bug will be fixed with 2.1.1, which will surely be pushed out (sorry) within a couple weeks considering how widespread the problem is. It is something of a shame Apple is still plagued with these kinds of problems though.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    My problem with the iPhone e-mail is that it doesn't sync the status of e-mails on the IMAP server with those on the phone. I often find that e-mail that has been deleted or marked read on the phone is still there and not deleted on the server.

My other pet peeve is the lack of CalDAV support, which prevents me from syncing the calendar on the iPhone with my on-line calendar.

Oh and the other one is that you can't have both Exchange and a non-Exchange calendar.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

This article is the first I'd heard about the problem. I'm probably affected along with everyone else, but I hadn't paid any attention to it (I do receive push email as far as I can tell). Sorry others are more severely impacted. I'm sure the bug will be fixed with 2.1.1, which will surely be pushed out (sorry) within a couple weeks considering how widespread the problem is. It is something of a shame Apple is still plagued with these kinds of problems though.

Push, push- in the bush.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    I've been expierencing the same issue since the 2.1 update. My quickest fix is to throw it into airplane mode, wait a few seconds and turn it back off. It sure beats powering the thing down and back up. Thanks Apple... I wish I could go back to my blackberry.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ours work fine too, strange how many folks with a only couple of post seem to have such major issues. Perhaps there is a correlation?

Perhaps because people have signed up just to discuss this problem with the hopes of finding a solution, as I have.

I have followed AI for years... and just signed up right now, because of your obtuse comment. So thanks.

Here are some findings I have noticed:

-The Mail program will check more than just the designation you select (15, 30, 1 hr). It seems to check again 2-3 minutes after you manually fetch... again.

-I had this problem all day yesterday (and perhaps longer, I've never noticed until this article) and tried just now setting my network to Edge, not 3G.... worked and fetched with no issues whatsoever.*

-I then set it back to 3G and it worked... again without issue.*

*Why is it working TODAY and not yesterday? I have a program called "Insomnia" installed in my Jailbroken iPhone 3G. People claim it will kill the battery but I have not seen any significant usage so far. Mind you... this is only about a few hours worth of testing (last night and this morning).

I will turn off Insomnia and see if it works... I'll check back in a few minutes.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    I have not experienced any issues after loading 2.1. In fact I have seen a significant improvement in email performance.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pared View Post

Perhaps because people have signed up just to discuss this problem with the hopes of finding a solution, as I have.

I have followed AI for years... and just signed up right now, because of your obtuse comment. So thanks.

Hardly obtuse, you have just given one perfect example of correlation. I was asking a legitimate question out of curiosity. There could be other reasons too, I had no forgone conclusion ... and yvw
  • Reply 70 of 87
    I have the non 3 g and my email locks up on a daily basis. After a power down it loads all my email that i missed. I have 2 push account and 1 fetch. The fetch is on manual . This is driving me crazy, big time.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Hardly obtuse, you have just given one perfect example of correlation. I was asking a legitimate question out of curiosity. There could be other reasons too, I had no forgone conclusion ... and yvw

Your question is valid, the correlation between computer issues and those new to computing is quite real. How are you suppose to know the technical abilities from someone who has made post on AI.

As for issues, I have not had the email issues, but my Safari browser is more troublesome than before and my Phone app royally screwed up after hitting Emergency Call accidently during a screen unlock. It brought up my contact list, but it was frozen on there like an image. You could dial the numbers on the number pad but you saw a page of my contacts. When you get into the phone app that same page comes up and you can't access anything. I had to use the Contacts app to make a call. A restart fixed it, but I can recreate the issue.

PS: My phone isn't even jailbroken like Pared's is. I'm thinking a complete wipe and reinstall is in order.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:

Hardly... that's laughable. Your comment insinuated a negative correlation but you can deny, deny, deny all you'd like.

So... about 40 minutes now... 2 emails waiting for me in my GMail Inbox... and not a peep from the iPhone.

Unlocked it... Mail.app is the first thing to come up since I last locked it... Last checked timestamp is 10:05... And the App begins checking for mail, finding two new messages listed as being delivered at 10:13 and 10:26.

Yes, it's definitely broken. I'll just set the phone to leave Insomnia running and forget about it. Guess I'll post back after a couple of days of usage... since the problem most likely will not be fixed by then.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your question is valid, the correlation between computer issues and those new to computing is quite real. How are you suppose to know the technical abilities from someone who has made post on AI.

As for issues, I have not had the email issues, but my Safari browser is more troublesome than before and my Phone app royally screwed up after hitting Emergency Call accidently during a screen unlock. It brought up my contact list, but it was frozen on there like an image. You could dial the numbers on the number pad but you saw a page of my contacts. When you get into the phone app that same page comes up and you can't access anything. I had to use the Contacts app to make a call. A restart fixed it, but I can recreate the issue.

PS: My phone isn't even jailbroken like Pared's is. I'm thinking a complete wipe and reinstall is in order.

That's a fair offer of suggestion however many others have tried that without success. So I'm hesitant to go that route when that little "Insomnia" program will fix it.

If it's somehow sapping too much juice out of the battery I will give it a shot. Until then...

EDIT: BTW, those saying they are not having problems... are you sure you've done this while your phone is in full sleep? Meaning... not connected to any power devices... not syncing. Just left, unattached and unused with a pending email waiting for the next time to check? I've had a friend able to duplicate this issue today (that they also were not aware of) and 2 others I know across the US that have tried this... and it fails for every single one of them.

FWIW, the question of a user "new to computing" and their post count is my issue with his ridiculous statement. As if signing up and participating in this forum is reflective of a user's skill. I've worked in IT for close to 8 years so this is hardly the case for me... and many others I'd suspect. There isn't much skill required to leave your phone off and realize it's not checking email... so let's leave those comparisons for elsewhere, please.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malletkat View Post

I have the non 3 g and my email locks up on a daily basis. After a power down it loads all my email that i missed. I have 2 push account and 1 fetch. The fetch is on manual . This is driving me crazy, big time.

have you thought of simply running an IMAP account which would give you all mail both sent and received from all computers and phones using same account? I understand this doesn't sync anything else but is sure works fine for e-mail,
  • Reply 75 of 87
    UPDATE:

Funny enough, Insomnia is doing something that will not allow the iPhone to background fetch email while connected to a power source.

No idea why that is... but just a heads up for anyone having issues. Works just fine when unplugged and in full "sleep."
  • Reply 76 of 87
    I hope this email issue isn't the reason for the increased battery life.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    This has been an issue for me. Even though I have it set to push every 15 minutes, I have to manually open Mail app and check for mail. Also, if i don't get mail for over an hour - I know that I have to power off the iPhone and power back on.

I'm quite surprised Apple continues to release this shabby software, reminds me of the spaghetti software released by Microsoft.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    my Touch 1G with 2.1 software is pushing MobileMe fast
  • Reply 79 of 87
    Quote:

Ours work fine too, strange how many folks with a only couple of post seem to have such major issues. Perhaps there is a correlation?

I hate to restart the fire on this comment, but apple tech support admits its a problem. and for a little bit of (somewhat dry) humor: it may be because those who work for a living don't have time to constantly monitor this site, but do have enough money to buy an iphone, while those who don't work and constantly monitor don't have enough money...

its a joke! I swear... don't skewer me for it!

*goes to hide with a bottle of schnapps -- despite the issues, 2.1 firmware is still snappier than 2.0*
  • Reply 80 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

This problem predates 2.1 for me as well. I believe it was introduced in 2.0.1, but it may have been there beforehand.

Yes email in general was a problem for me and a ton of others (original and 3g iPhones) since 2.0. Having to force quit mail and open it again to receive email etc...

2.1 Greatly improved email but it looks like there are still some kinks to work out.

It's definitely a OS 2 problem as I never had the problem on OS 1 and the original iPhone.