T-Mobile's G1 Android phone to cost $179, available Oct 22

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    Sounds like a step backward to me. I am still waiting for someone to do the math on how much the phone will cost over the contracts life!!
  • Reply 22 of 47
    I love Apple but I think this competition is good for them. Frankly, Apple was getting more than a bit cocky and starting feeling dangerously close to a standard multi-national. I continue to pull for Apple in all ways and want the best for them but I acknowledge that others have lots to contribute as well. As an example, the calendar and task functions from Microsoft I believe is better than iCal. Additionally their business suite can improve a lot.



    I do think that if Apple listens closely, follows comments given freely on this site and others, that they can plan on being on top for many years to come. It is a question of do they listen or do they simply consider their fan base, bozo's!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    In the first video they have the word "Revolutionary ... " on screen then cut to an old school keyboard
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    Ah yes, I too remember the days when I was an Apple zealot...then I matured. You fail to realize the larger scheme of things and if it were not for others Apple would not be where is it today. Is Apple its own mobile service provider? No. Is not competition good? Yes. Do all people feels the iPhone is the omnipotent answer to their mobile usage? No. The iPhone is significant and I like it for personal use, but not business use...at least not yet.



    I use it for business all the time. Just finished transferring money between accounts, and setting up some new user accounts on the company bulletin board.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SXT1 View Post


    I like devices that are one-handed operatable. This clearly isn't !!!



    Why - what's the other hand doing?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Right now, it is partnered with Amazon for music...



    This is of no use to anyone outside of the United States - as Amazon Music store is US only.



    Add in the fact it has no headphone jack and sports a 1GB card "for all my favourite music"?

    As if I can get 1/10 of my library on a 1GB card or heck even 1/10 on an 8 GB card.



    Also consider the wear and tear of all those lovely plastic parts - I just am not impressed.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post


    I love Apple but I think this competition is good for them. Frankly, Apple was getting more than a bit cocky and starting feeling dangerously close to a standard multi-national. I continue to pull for Apple in all ways and want the best for them but I acknowledge that others have lots to contribute as well. As an example, the calendar and task functions from Microsoft I believe is better than iCal. Additionally their business suite can improve a lot.



    I do think that if Apple listens closely, follows comments given freely on this site and others, that they can plan on being on top for many years to come. It is a question of do they listen or do they simply consider their fan base, bozo's!



    If Apple listened to half the crap spewed on this site, they would be bankrupt by now.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewill View Post


    Competition is good. It's exciting to see other companies step-up and challenge the iPhone.



    Here's my take on the G1.



    1. It looks thick.

    2. The buttons look cheap.

    3. GPS?

    4. I think the right thumb might be blocked in using the keyboard

    5. Sim-locked

    6. Unlimited plan with 1GB limit. That sounds like a false advertisement lawsuit waiting to happen.

    7. Apps look cool, especially the UPC bar code scanning. Someone should quickly port these apps to the iPhone.

    8. 1GB memory? 8GB upgrade will cost another $40, making the G1 more expensive than the iPhone.



    Those are certainly issues to consider. As for the data, it is not false advertising because unlimited can refer to time, too. The amount of data and time is unlimited, it's the speed that is limited and throttled. Sometimes you'll see it written unlimited/unlimited.



    PS: First time posters that add to the conversation are few and far between. Welcome.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewill View Post


    Competition is good. It's exciting to see other companies step-up and challenge the iPhone.



    Here's my take on the G1.



    1. It looks thick.

    2. The buttons look cheap.

    3. GPS?

    4. I think the right thumb might be blocked in using the keyboard

    5. Sim-locked

    6. Unlimited plan with 1GB limit. That sounds like a false advertisement lawsuit waiting to happen.

    7. Apps look cool, especially the UPC bar code scanning. Someone should quickly port these apps to the iPhone.

    8. 1GB memory? 8GB upgrade will cost another $40, making the G1 more expensive than the iPhone.



    If it had been Apple advertising that unlimited claim, they would be getting sued right away. I mean look how many useless lawsuits there are already against the iphone.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    G1 PHONE, SUCKY, SUCKY
  • Reply 31 of 47
    So they used the word "funnerer" to compete with the iPod Touch - the "funnest" iPod ever.



    Too bad this Anroid phone wasn't pretty. Reminds me of an IBM Thinkpad.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    I welcome the competition from Google as it will keep Apple busy. But that said, Apple deserves praise again on it's design team. The G1 is an alternative, but not an a very elegant one.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If this has been mentioned already, my apologies....



    The HTC G1 uses a proprietary USB-based jack for the headphones.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thewill View Post


    Competition is good. It's exciting to see other companies step-up and challenge the iPhone.



    Here's my take on the G1.



    1. It looks thick.

    2. The buttons look cheap.

    3. GPS?

    4. I think the right thumb might be blocked in using the keyboard

    5. Sim-locked

    6. Unlimited plan with 1GB limit. That sounds like a false advertisement lawsuit waiting to happen.

    7. Apps look cool, especially the UPC bar code scanning. Someone should quickly port these apps to the iPhone.

    8. 1GB memory? 8GB upgrade will cost another $40, making the G1 more expensive than the iPhone.



    There are many iPhone apps that scan barcodes, not sure about UPC though.

    Delicious Library should have an app by now, what's taking them so long?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    Delicious Library should have an app by now, what's taking them so long?



    Apple keeps stealing their workforce.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    If this has been mentioned already, my apologies....



    The HTC G1 uses a proprietary USB-based jack for the headphones.



    That's a lot worse than the indented headphone socket for the first iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That's a lot worse than the indented headphone socket for the first iPhone.



    That was bad, but you could at least trimmed your headphone to fit the original iPhone with utility knife. I'm guessing that it also charges and syncs through this proprietary headphone jack.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    I think it's good for Apple to have a bit of competition

    - overall, it's not as neat or complete as the iPhone, but Android does have some nice touches

    - like the homescreen seems more interesting, and customisable

    - I find the iPhone home screen just a bland-grid, and no background screen is lame.



    - plus the little things like copy & paste, or the 3.1M camera are good.



    - but the lack of multi-touch means that they have to have those retro on-screen zoom buttons

    - and the browser navigating is little better than the S60



    Also, Compass Mode on Street view looks pretty cool

    - I don't think the iPhone has a compass!
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Am I the only one who thinks the lack of a standard headphone jack is single handedly going to cost them thousands of sales?



    In my opinion, that alone is a deal breaker. The way I see it, you've got pretty much 2 main markets for high end smartphones/entertainment phones:



    - The traditional buisness consumers who are loyal to RIM whom even Apple and its venerable iPhone have had a hard time swooning - they're aren't going to jump over to Android any more eagerly. I don't think this demographic is going to help Android penetrate the market share in the beginning. I just don't think Android is different enough to bring people over from RIM or even iPhone for the business consumers who've already gone to Apple



    - The college students, young people, and generally people looking for the next "cool" thing in phones who want to be able to buy a cool pair of headphones and listen to their music on the subway or whatever. The second you tell them you can't just plug in their favorite headphones and be off jamming to Jonas Brothers, Rihanna, Kanye or whoever, they're gonna walk over to the nearest Apple Store for an iPhone. I don't think it even matters what other cool features the G1 and Android can bring to the table. They won't even stick around long enough to hear about them once they hear there's no headphone jack.



    Forget about the other pros and cons... it has street view, and a compass, but it's thicker, it has a 3 MP camera, can do MMS, whatever...the whole debate is almost moot if you can't just plug a pair of headphones into the thing!



    Just my 2 cents...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    Ah yes, I too remember the days when I was an Apple zealot...then I matured. You fail to realize the larger scheme of things and if it were not for others Apple would not be where is it today. Is Apple its own mobile service provider? No. Is not competition good? Yes. Do all people feels the iPhone is the omnipotent answer to their mobile usage? No. The iPhone is significant and I like it for personal use, but not business use...at least not yet.



    There are people around the office where I work that get along great with the iphone within the company.



    I agree though that Apple needs competition to stay on top of things. I personally will probably be getting an android phone because I am not about to switch from T-Mobile. ATT is the overpriced joke.
Sign In or Register to comment.