Gmail IMAP Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been using gmail on my Mail app forever now and just did some research and realized the difference between IMAP and POP mail. So I switched my gmail account from the default POP (the auto setup when syncing with mail) to IMAP. But now there's a GMAIL section at the bottom of the source sidebar... whats the deal with that? I just want to have everything in the mailboxes folder at the top and not have to have an extra section at the bottom...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

I've been using gmail on my Mail app forever now and just did some research and realized the difference between IMAP and POP mail. So I switched my gmail account from the default POP (the auto setup when syncing with mail) to IMAP. But now there's a GMAIL section at the bottom of the source sidebar... whats the deal with that? I just want to have everything in the mailboxes folder at the top and not have to have an extra section at the bottom...

That's so you can manage you email like you can when you sign on thought gmail.com. Drag your mail (or make a shortcut) to the All Mail, Send Mail, Stared, Trash and then check thought the website and it will be in the right folder. You can use labels and stuff too. Just hit the triangle and minimize the section.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Ok I did that, everything works but the issue now is that, when I receive an email, it shows up in my inbox at the top. but also in the Gmail section at the bottom... So I have to click on both so they registered as "read" and the Mail icon no longer shows a "1" for new mail
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Seems to me like POP was better.. or at least cleaner interface
  • Reply 4 of 7
    IMAP is a lot better. When your in your inbox and your done with the email, drag it to the folder u want to put it in and it will make it as read in both. if you want to delete a email, drag it to the trash under the IMAP folder and it will put it in the trash.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

This gives a great overview how to best configure Apple Mail to use IMAP with GMail. Once you have it set up right, you'll never go back.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Ok I followed pretty much everything on that site, but there's no way to get rid of the [Gmail] hierarchy. Which is the main nuisance. Because what happens is when I get a mail, its unread twice, once in my inbox at the top, than once more in the "all mail" folder within the Gmail hierarchy. Since there's no equivalent of "All Mail" in mail.app I can't use the function "use this mailbox for"...

I even tried that one suggestion of typing [Gmail] into "IMAP Path Prefix" but that didn't really help..

Any suggestions to work around this?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Ok I followed pretty much everything on that site, but there's no way to get rid of the [Gmail] hierarchy. Which is the main nuisance. Because what happens is when I get a mail, its unread twice, once in my inbox at the top, than once more in the "all mail" folder within the Gmail hierarchy. Since there's no equivalent of "All Mail" in mail.app I can't use the function "use this mailbox for"...

I even tried that one suggestion of typing [Gmail] into "IMAP Path Prefix" but that didn't really help..

Any suggestions to work around this?

I don't think there is a way to do what you're looking for. I think it's important to have the GMail hierarchy present to reflect the structure of your e-mail online. As for the new mail problem, it just takes a moment for the two to sync, i.e. if you have a new message in your inbox, and mark it as unread, the change will be reflected in the All Mail mailbox shortly thereafter.