Next-gen MacBook, MacBook Pro spotted in matching outfits

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Production ready versions of Apple's next-generation MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks have surfaced stateside in matching attire, according to reports.

In its attempt to provide the most accurate picture of Apple's future product plans, AppleInsider is publishing these tidbits only as a rumor to supplement earlier reports of higher conviction.

According to the latest reports, both the new 13-inch MacBooks and 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros will share similarities not only in their employment of aluminum enclosures, but in their overall aesthetic as well, with the new 13-inch MacBooks for the first time matching their higher-priced cousins as if they were members of the same product family.

Again, the new designs were described as a cross between the 13-inch MacBook Air introduced this January and the aluminum iMacs that made their debut during the summer of 2007. In its April report, AppleInsider noted this would include a trimming -- or tapering -- around the edges and instances of black material to contrast the largely aluminum motif of the new notebooks.

New, however, are rumors that Apple has done away with some traditional I/O ports and altered others as it strives to marginally reduce the overall footprint of its next-gen notebooks. In particular, the FireWire 400 port appears to have been removed from the new MacBook Pro, leaving a backwards compatible FireWire 800 port.

(Note: a hybrid 9-pin FireWire 800/3200 port looks identical to a FireWire 800 port, though there is no information either way on whether the new 3200 technology will be supported.)

In addition, the new MacBook Pro is also reported to be missing its traditional and bulky 28-pin DVI-I (Dual Link) port, which has instead been replaced with what appears to be a mini-DVI port like the one found on the existing 13-inch MacBook line and iMac line.

Again, AppleInsider recommends that readers treat these rumors as potential supplements to previously reported details:

Previous reports on next-gen MacBooks

MacBook, MacBook Pro to get new aluminum designs (April)

Next-gen MacBook Pro casing design revealed, new battery cover (July)

New notebooks will include something other than Intel's Montevina chipset (July)

New MacBooks to follow iPods by several weeks; iMac bumps by mid-November (August)

New MacBooks tracking for mid-October timeframe (September)

First test batches of new MacBooks ship out of China (September)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New, however, are reports that Apple has done away with some traditional I/O ports and altered others as it strives to marginally reduce the overall footprint of its next-gen notebooks.

I would be fine with that, if Apple would ever adopt a docking connector. Can anyone explain why Apple doesn't add this -- at least to the MacBook Pro? Is the obsession with 'thinness' responsible?

Edit: Should have said 'Docking station port'
  • Reply 2 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I would be fine with that, if Apple would ever adopt a docking connector. Can anyone explain why Apple doesn't add this -- at least to the MacBook Pro? Is the obsession with 'thinness' responsible?

You must be shrooming.
  • Reply 3 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

You must be shrooming.

Huh? Maybe you think I'm talking about an iPod dock connector? To be clear, I'm asking why Apple hasn't added a connector to dock the laptop. Monitors, periphrials, wired ethernet, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    I think they ought to replace the USB-A ports with Mini-USB ports. Two FW800/S3200 ports would also be nice.

/Adrian
  • Reply 5 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I think they ought to replace the USB-A ports with Mini-USB ports.

Why? The USB-A port works fine for the MacBook Air. I see no reason to use a smaller, less common USB port.

I don't care so much which connector is used, but I would hate to lose support for dual-DVI. A MacBook Pro should be able to drive a 2560x1600 monitor. So should the MacBook and MacBook Air in my opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Why? The USB-A port works fine for the MacBook Air. I see no reason to use a smaller, less common USB port.

You can fit about six mini-USB ports placed vertically in the space of two regular USB-ports if they slim down the plastic around the connectors. Reason enough for me.

/Adrian
  • Reply 7 of 162
    I am curious why apple do not put sata connector and hdmi? clearly they have space...
  • Reply 8 of 162
    Quote:

You can fit about six mini-USB ports placed vertically in the space of two regular USB-ports. Reason enough for me.

/Adrian

Maybe so, but then you lose the ability to plug in any of the vastly popular USB Key drives that many people depend on for transferring files from one machine to another. This alone makes keeping at least one standard USB port a must.
  • Reply 9 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the latest reports, both the new 13-inch MacBooks and 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros will share similarities not only in their employment of aluminum enclosures, but in their overall aesthetic as well, with the new 13-inch MacBooks for the first time matching their higher-priced cousins as if they were members of the same product family.

Assuming this is correct why not combine the MB and MBP into one product line with 15/17 inch versions configured with either a 'consumer' or 'pro' spec, with a 13 inch MBA and 10 inch Mac Tablet for those who need ultra portability.
  • Reply 10 of 162
    on a macbook, whatever, do your thing, but that miniDVI bullshit and lack of FW400 support is really fucking annoying. I want MORE ports, not less, for god's sake!
  • Reply 11 of 162
    Any idea how much the new MacBooks will cost then?
  • Reply 12 of 162
    Getting rid of the full sized DVI port!?!? That sucks, I use that port a lot, and having to constantly use an adapter is a pain...
  • Reply 13 of 162
    I would say this rumor sounds pretty accurate.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    Next Tuesday????
  • Reply 15 of 162
    Quote:

I think they ought to replace the USB-A ports with Mini-USB ports. Two FW800/S3200 ports would also be nice.

/Adrian

The mini-usb ports are only per spec on end use devices; the host port is all the same "A" connector.
  • Reply 16 of 162
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Do you use it on multiple monitors? I frequently use it, but always on the same pair of monitors, so it'd just be a case of having an adapter for each and it's just as easy as it currently is...
  • Reply 17 of 162
    Looking good.

Hope this new Macbook is a bit thinner than the current one.

And hopefully the plastic that meets the bottom edge won't start coming off if it's an aluminium enclosure.

But pleeeeeease Apple, put a better graphics card in the Macbook! It doesn't have to be anything too fancy, just something that actually works and isn't bottom of the barrel stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

The mini-usb ports are only per spec on end use devices; the host port is all the same "A" connector.

Ahhh, I'm glad someone said it.

• Reply 19 of 162
    This 'rumor' convinces me that the MacBook Pro and MacBook Ranges are migrating into a single line-up of machines: one common design with three screen sizes. I imagine that each model will be available with two chip choices something like as follows:

13" MacBook -2.4 and 2.53 Ghz, 2 or 4 Gb RAM

15" MacBook - 2.53 and and 2.8 Ghz 2 or 4 Gb RAM

17" MacBook - 2.53 and 2.8 Ghz, 2, 4 or 8 Gb RAM

This would fit with reports of six new SKUs being reported in inventory lists, if such a rumor can be relied upon.

Glass track pad? Dunno whether i want this, but it sounds interesting.

Ports: 3 USB ports, please.
  • Reply 20 of 162
    I really hope they go for a dock concept soon. All of the little dongles drive me crazy. The only ports that go unused on my laptop today are Firewire and the headphone/mic jacks. A port replicator would be the only way I could make the computer work for me.

I have a 17" MBP, and would get the next generation if only... it was two pounds lighter and identically functional to the current models. I don't know how anybody can lug it in a traditional laptop bag... I have to use a backpack if I am going any distance. Barring that, it looks like an Eee PC will need to be in my future.