Next-gen MacBook, MacBook Pro spotted in matching outfits

1234579

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post


    Here's traction: I disagree about the physical connection into a "dummy imac", because the current air seems to have the "hearts and minds" of apple's style police and uses wireless for airdisk... the current mba has two huge, deal-killing, limitations:

    - Not enough ports

    - Too slow



    Intel's July/August updates allows current technology in the mba form-factor, so the remaining deal-breaker is the lack of ports. Apple's solution on the air was airdisk; using an existing computer as a wireless dock for optical media, etc. The logical progression of this technology, though, would be a "dummy mini"-like box ('a brick') with all the ports... except instead of being a standalone machine for $500 it's an apple-tv like $200, and it wirelessly docks with the laptop using existing airdisk technology. Put the brick out of sight, and when the laptop's within range you're good to go because everything you'd ever want is already hooked up. No dock-connectors, ugly or otherwise.



    One last thought: Dock-connector interfaces take up internal space in a laptop - the smallest laptop wouldn't have one.



    I agree about your mba points. As an everyday user of the Adobe CS3 programs, the air isn't enough of a computer. And the minimal use of ports clearly isn't something that should carry over to the pro line. Also, I am hoping that the next pro update will include another evolutionary step, regarding the internal architecture, that has been hinted at in some of the previous threads.



    The thing I like about this patent from January is the potential convenience that comes with adding more screen real estate as well as the possible addition of ports and storage. While I will probably end up getting a cinema display to complement my next macbook pro, I personally prefer working off of one large screen.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hook View Post


    I agree about your mba points. As an everyday user of the Adobe CS3 programs, the air isn't enough of a computer. And the minimal use of ports clearly isn't something that should carry over to the pro line. Also, I am hoping that the next pro update will include another evolutionary step, regarding the internal architecture, that has been hinted at in some of the previous threads.



    The thing I like about this patent from January is the potential convenience that comes with adding more screen real estate as well as the possible addition of ports and storage. While I will probably end up getting a cinema display to complement my next macbook pro, I personally prefer working off of one large screen.





    Adding an ACD, or other quality external display, is an excellent solution, as serious photo editing on a laptop display is clearly not a good solution.
  • Reply 123 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The daisy chaining is why I would like to see displayport. It's the only standard that supports multiple displays from a single source. No more issues with the Mini not supporting dual displays and who knows how many displays a Mac Pro could run...



    With Displayport you also don't pay royalties to some other company, which means cheaper computers...



    I read that there will be a displayport to VGA adaptor. If you can get DVI-D to VGA adaptors and displayport to DVI, it should be possible...



    The problem here though is that there are multiple standards. Apple were backing UDI before it died. What if they go displayport only and HDMI takes over completely? There will be adaptors but it means you'll always have to use them...



    It won't be quite the same deal as there are adaptors and there were no native mini-dvi displays before so most people were always using adaptors anyway so I guess it's not an issue and the size of the port is a huge improvement.



    Wikipedia says DisplayPort is backwards compatible with DVI and HDMI, with a dongle, and that it is a smaller port physically than the others. And as you say is royalty free. Why wouldn't Apple use it then, since Apple doesn't mind asking users to plug in adapters and wants the smallest ports possible to make the machine as svelte as possible? Are there any other downsides to DisplayPort than your point that it is not in widespread use yet? Does it have any draconian DRM chip for example?
  • Reply 124 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matzentosh View Post


    Are there any other downsides to DisplayPort than your point that it is not in widespread use yet? Does it have any draconian DRM chip for example?



    None at all.
  • Reply 125 of 162
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post


    Here's traction: I disagree about the physical connection into a "dummy imac", because the current air seems to have the "hearts and minds" of apple's style police and uses wireless for airdisk... the current mba has two huge, deal-killing, limitations:

    - Not enough ports

    - Too slow



    The point of the MBA is to be small and minimalist. More ports would change the current design.



    How are you qualifying too slow. MBA isn't meant to be a desktop replacement. The processor its using what unique to the MBA when it was launched and was much faster than other thin notebooks.
  • Reply 126 of 162
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I think the SxS concept is pretty nice, but the transition to file-based capture and storage is still only just getting started and ongoing. I expect it to take several years, who knows, maybe a decade to transition away from tape. We're what, a year and a half into SxS and Sony still introduced a new pro HDV camcorder like last month.



    In the pro video market tapeless workflow is quickly over running tape workflow and should become the norm within the next couple of years. For two primary reasons. Video requires less compression when tape isn't involved. Digitizing tape in real time for editing takes up too much time. While moving a data file takes a fraction of the time.



    Its difficult to tell with the prosumer market. Sony and Panasonic have made a mess of that market with too many cameras. But I imagine tapeless will soon become the big marketing slogan. The masses will be herded in that direction.
  • Reply 127 of 162
    I'm afraid the MacBook Pro really isn't "pro" enough from what it sounds like. I think they need a portable desktop option without the emphasis on thinness (still be thinner than a Lenovo) but with more professional-oriented features like dual drive bays, 4 USB ports, HDMI input, and route-thru, Blu Ray, etc.
  • Reply 128 of 162
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkgoob View Post


    I'm afraid the MacBook Pro really isn't "pro" enough from what it sounds like. I think they need a portable desktop option without the emphasis on thinness (still be thinner than a Lenovo) but with more professional-oriented features like dual drive bays, 4 USB ports, HDMI input, and route-thru, Blu Ray, etc.



    This seems to be your personal opinion. What you list aren't necessarily "pro" features or useful for the wider market.
  • Reply 129 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    I had a backlit keyboard once and after trying it out, never used it once. I don't type in the dark. How many really do?



    I have two things to add to this:

    Why are people looking directly at the keyboard in the first place? It takes about 2 days to get used to the Macbook layout and be able to type without looking.



    Even if you did need to see the keys, the light from the screen is plenty bright. You could read a book with it.
  • Reply 130 of 162
    Personally, I have been using a computer (in one form or another, started on terminals connected to a Burroughs mainframe) for the last thirty years, and I still cannot touch type. But I have advanced to using at least two fingers and a thumb per hand!



    So with that in mind, I would LOVE to see the backlit keyboard become a standard feature across the entire Apple laptop line…
  • Reply 131 of 162
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post


    Personally, I have been using a computer (in one form or another, started on terminals connected to a Burroughs mainframe) for the last thirty years, and I still cannot touch type. But I have advanced to using at least two fingers and a thumb per hand!



    So with that in mind, I would LOVE to see the backlit keyboard become a standard feature across the entire Apple laptop line?



    I have to look when I'm typing numbers. Still, I've been amazed what a popular feature the backlit keyboard is. It matters none to me and I'd rather see the money go toward memory or bigger drives.
  • Reply 132 of 162
    I would like to have powerfull laptop with enough usb and firewire connectors. and bluray.



    I don`t need battery at all and laptop doesn`t need to be that small. I always use power cable.



    Battery could be replaced by another hard drive. two hard drives could really be something.
  • Reply 133 of 162
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matzentosh View Post


    Why wouldn't Apple use it then, since Apple doesn't mind asking users to plug in adapters and wants the smallest ports possible to make the machine as svelte as possible? Are there any other downsides to DisplayPort than your point that it is not in widespread use yet? Does it have any draconian DRM chip for example?



    There are no reasons against it other than it not being in widespread use but there was a negative reaction when Dell tried to do this:



    http://www.pcworld.com/article/14227...ort_folly.html



    The argument is not particularly sound though because it suggests HDMI should stay because it was first even though Displayport has no royalties (saving 4 cents per device + $10,000 per year) and it supports multiple displays.



    The first comment at the bottom is interesting about USB3. At 4.8Gbps bandwidth, it could output HD video to a display too. You can do this with current USB ports but the bandwidth is too low for anything but a spare screen for showing stuff that isn't updated much.



    This way you can have as many displays as USB ports. It's a shame USB3 won't be available for a while yet.



    The only displayport displays available are thousands of dollars and I've only found 3 models supporting it. No consumer-level devices support it. HDMI has far better support. Apple could easily absorb the cost of HDMI - the sole advantage of displayport is multiple displays but this may require multiple displayport displays. The risk Apple would run is banking on display manufacturers supporting displayport in future over HDMI.



    If they put displayport in the Cinema display, it helps but they couldn't go displayport only with them so they'd need multiple connections. They could go HDMI only as you can use a DVI to HDMI adaptor from older computers. I haven't seen a DVI to Displayport adaptor.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    There are no reasons against it other than it not being in widespread use but there was a negative reaction when Dell tried to do this:



    http://www.pcworld.com/article/14227...ort_folly.html



    The argument is not particularly sound though because it suggests HDMI should stay because it was first even though Displayport has no royalties (saving 4 cents per device + $10,000 per year) and it supports multiple displays.



    The first comment at the bottom is interesting about USB3. At 4.8Gbps bandwidth, it could output HD video to a display too. You can do this with current USB ports but the bandwidth is too low for anything but a spare screen for showing stuff that isn't updated much.



    This way you can have as many displays as USB ports. It's a shame USB3 won't be available for a while yet.



    The only displayport displays available are thousands of dollars and I've only found 3 models supporting it. No consumer-level devices support it. HDMI has far better support. Apple could easily absorb the cost of HDMI - the sole advantage of displayport is multiple displays but this may require multiple displayport displays. The risk Apple would run is banking on display manufacturers supporting displayport in future over HDMI.



    If they put displayport in the Cinema display, it helps but they couldn't go displayport only with them so they'd need multiple connections. They could go HDMI only as you can use a DVI to HDMI adaptor from older computers. I haven't seen a DVI to Displayport adaptor.



    1) While Display Port is proprietary it can has been designed to support HDCP and the HDMI/DBI video signals., so only an adapter would be needed.



    2) Apple doesn't care about what it going on today in technology. It needs to look at will be happening years down the road as the Macs will be porting same same design for about 3 years.
  • Reply 135 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    I have to look when I'm typing numbers. Still, I've been amazed what a popular feature the backlit keyboard is. It matters none to me and I'd rather see the money go toward memory or bigger drives.



    The backlit keyboard is important for product tiers. It gives Apple one more thing to put in the list of features the Macbook Pro has, and the Macbook does not. I don't think they care if people use it.
  • Reply 136 of 162
    I just need these to come out already. I'm sitting here with a 5 year old Toshiba Celeron laptop and it just doesn't do much of anything.



    On top of that, everytime something happens with my iPhone and it goes into recovery mode (idk why it does it a lot of the time) my computer doesn't work to restore it for whatever reason. I've tried everything, and nothing works.



    I've been waiting since this time last year for these.
  • Reply 137 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post


    The backlit keyboard is important for product tiers. It gives Apple one more thing to put in the list of features the Macbook Pro has, and the Macbook does not. I don't think they care if people use it.



    Exactly. It's a nice, handy feature for many users. Sometimes working in the dark helps me focus and the backlit keys are a great help. Besides, if you don't like it, it can easily be disabled.



    If you're not a touch-typist, like me even though I've used Macs since the 512K, it's extremely handy. Especially living in a small apartment, working late and not wanting disturb the girlfriend with lights on.



    Personally, I'd like to see it on ALL Apple keyboards; laptops, wired and wireless.
  • Reply 138 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post


    If you're not a touch-typist, like me even though I've used Macs since the 512K, it's extremely handy. Especially living in a small apartment, working late and not wanting disturb the girlfriend with lights on.



    Glad to see I'm not the only one who appreciates the backlight on their keyboard for this reason alone!
  • Reply 139 of 162
    After apples previous overhauls, what was done with the obsolete computers? How were they sold, ~at what kind of discount, where, ect.?
  • Reply 140 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameswoulds32 View Post


    After apples previous overhauls, what was done with the obsolete computers? How were they sold, ~at what kind of discount, where, ect.?



    Apple doesn't have any sort of program for trading in old Macs, that I've heard of.



    What I do is sell mine through craigslist. I used to do eBay, but it's too much of a hassle.

    I try to sell my machines (laptops) after about 2 years, which leaves 1 year of AppleCare to sweeten the deal. I usually get about half what I originally paid and toss in any machine specific accessories I have that I won't be able to use with a new machine, like PC Cards or case from my old PowerBook, etc.



    The great thing about Macs, is that they hold their value very well in addition to outlasting the typical PC by 2x or 3x times.
Sign In or Register to comment.