Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 241 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrui View Post

- It's possible that apple can change so much the current hardware so that windows cannot run natively on a MAC machine? People are saying that apple will change to another chipset manufacturer with some proprietary chips.

Apple wouldn't dare. Half the "switchers" would throw their Macs away.
  • Reply 242 of 287
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Half the "switchers" would throw their Macs away.

Could you identify these folks for me, I wanna go around and collect their 'useless' Macs when they do so?
  • Reply 244 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jezThomp View Post

Is this the new macbook?

it is not, its just another mockup it says so o the site that posted it. looks pretty though. especially with the dock on the trackpad.
  • Reply 245 of 287
    Quote:

I have some questions to make for you guys.

- Is possible to use the touchpad like in a windows laptop without the right botton?

- It's possible that apple can change so much the current hardware so that windows cannot run natively on a MAC machine? People are saying that apple will change to another chipset manufacturer with some proprietary chips.

Haven't posted here in a very long time.

To see how the multi-touch pad works, go here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html and click on the graphics of the touch pad swipes. That will open a window that shows brief videos of all the multi-touch moves.

As far as Apple changing hardware so windows can't run, I highly doubt that. They have gained market share because a lot of people need the ability to run windows as well. I know a lot of business people who bought Mac laptops only because of that capability. Apple knows that is a BIG selling point. Besides, with Intel they are constantly out on the leading edge with technology. I run Windows using VM Fusion, myself, when I have to and can do so successfully even on a slower Mac Mini.

Generally Apple produces good hardware from the beginning. Few problems for most people, but when problems do come up they are pretty good about fixing them quickly. Most problems are software, not hardware related.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome.
  • Reply 246 of 287
    thanks for all the replays!

I only hope that the new MBP come out until the end of October.

One more question, What about the gloss and the traditional matte screen ? Is the gloss worth a try? even with all the reflection problems?
  • Reply 247 of 287
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

What about the gloss and the traditional matte screen ? Is the gloss worth a try? even with all the reflection problems?

It's really just a matter of taste. I find the gloss screen on my MacBook Air tolerable. I would prefer matte. If you'll often be using it outdoors, then get matte.
  • Reply 248 of 287
    IMO, the symmetrical shape of the current MBP and MacBook look way better than a fatter Air. We all like the Air's shape because it is so thin, but thicker versions of the same wedge shape is hideous, IMO.

I hope that Apple keeps the new designs symmetrical, but this is unlikely. Hey, if Apple does change "wedge" it up, I'll have more emotional reasons to keep my MBP and not lust after better specs
  • Reply 249 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple4life07 View Post

I wonder how "aggressive" the entry-level price will be. I'm hoping they start these at $999.

Actually, if you look around in places like Best Buy, you will find that even $999 is high for a good entry-level notebook computer.

Quality notebook manufacturers like HP, Dell, and Sony are now offering excellent notebooks well below that ($999) price line.

I bought a $699 HP notebook with Vista that is an excellent performer with no real compromises.

Or this: HP Pavilion dv7t Core 2 Duo 2GHz 17in Laptop (3GB/320GB/Blu-Ray/8-Cell) $938.99 Free Ship, Oct. 1 8 AM from "HP Home" on Wednesday, Oct. 1.

And this: Dell E Series Latitude E5500 Business Laptop 15.4in Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 1GB/160GB $614 Free Shipping at Dell Small Business

I know, I know . . . . these are not Macs. But for those who must consider cost, these new Windows notebooks are an attractive alternative.

I just hope that, with these new notebooks, Apple can be a successful player in this increasingly competitive marketplace. Please don't misunderstand, I am pulling for Apple, and the company has done well in the notebook arena in the past, but the world is changing fast. I just hope Apple will keep up . . . or better yet, get ahead with a new price line on the next generation of notebook computers.
  • Reply 250 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Bingo. When hard drive space gets below 5 GB OS X slows down. Free up some HD space and maybe upgrade your ram a little bit.

Yeah, I've been doing that. I've deleted or off loaded (onto my time capsule) all non-essential files and applications. I've started cleaning up my music collection - deleting repeat songs, low sound quality files, and stuff I never listen to, but still.......

I looked into RAM and HD upgrades. With all the doom and gloom in the financial markets, I'm considering doing that before plunking down for a brand-spanking-new one.

We'll see, what this new 'aggressive' price point is. I really only need the machine for DJing and web surfing. I just wish Apple would make the announcement already!
  • Reply 251 of 287
    $699? It probably has an older Merom or Conroe CPU or even a Pentium Dual-Core (EWW!!!!!!) and lots of missing features.
  • Reply 252 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lugesm View Post

Actually, if you look around in places like Best Buy, you will find that even $999 is high for a good entry-level notebook computer.

Quality notebook manufacturers like HP, Dell, and Sony are now offering excellent notebooks well below that ($999) price line.

I bought a $699 HP notebook with Vista that is an excellent performer with no real compromises.

I know, I know . . . . it is not a Mac. But for those who must consider cost, these new Windows notebooks are an attractive alternative.

I just hope that, with these new notebooks, Apple can be a successful player in this increasingly competitive marketplace.

In spite of the tone of your post, Apple is successful in the laptop marketplace. \
  • Reply 253 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

In spite of the tone of your post, Apple is successful in the laptop marketplace. \

Apple has increased its share in notebook market by like 100%

No, those sub $1000 Windoze laptops are not attractive alternatives at all. Most of them don't even have great specs either. The only laptops that I'd even consider are some of the higher end Vaios and the XPS.
  • Reply 254 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Apple has increased its share in notebook market by like 100%

No, those sub $1000 Windoze laptops are not attractive alternatives at all. Most of them don't even have great specs either. The only laptops that I'd even consider are some of the higher end Vaios and the XPS.

You know, I usually don't look at the amount of posts a member has made since the metric is mostly useless, but your post made me look at how many you have. I don't know if you actually believe what you've written or are simply a troll, but you're way off.

Sub $1000 Windows laptops are useful, and often have better specs than comparable MacBooks: ExpressCard slots, USB ports, and video cards come to mind (I'm looking at you, non-pro MacBook). As for the issue of "usefulness"- it is tricky, as what might be useful for you might not be so for others. I'm perfectly aware of the growth the Mac is experiencing when compared to the PC industry, etc, etc. What the market place tell us today is that people prefer those machines to Macs by a very large margin. Period.

Therefore, to say that sub-$1000 Windows computers are useless is silly. And it's just downright moronic to ignore the emerging sub-notebook market: it's there, it's young, but it has the potential to literally get a Mac on every lap (or on many more laps). I think Apple is in a perfect position right now to compete in that market with a mini notebook that includes multi-touch on the display. Or it can be a tablet, no keyboard at all. If it's too difficult to type, grab a foldable keyboard.
  • Reply 255 of 287
    I'm not a troll simply because you cannot read. Where did I ever state that sub $1000 PC laptops were "usesless"? Do not put words into my mouth and then call me a troll. Your massive post count gives you the audacity to bash others (using misinformation), I suppose?
  • Reply 256 of 287
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:

I'm not a troll simply because you cannot read. Where did I ever state that sub $1000 PC laptops were "usesless"? Do not put words into my mouth and then call me a troll. Your massive post count gives you the audacity to bash others (using misinformation), I suppose?

1)I believe you edited your post? Here's what it read when I replied to you:

Quote:

No, those sub $1000 Windoze laptops are useless. Most of them don't even have great specs either. The only laptops that I'd even consider are some of the higher end Vaios and the XPS.

So that's where you stated that they are useless - and then you changed it.

2) My massive post count... Why don't you read my last post more carefully. Specifically, the paragraph where I write about post counts. Let me show you:

"You know, I usually don't look at the amount of posts a member has made since the metric is mostly useless, but your post made me look at how many you have. I don't know if you actually believe what you've written or are simply a troll, but you're way off. "

Did you get that? mostly useless.

Therefore, I stand by my statement that after reading your post, its stupidity made me look at your post count. So you're the one that needs to learn how to read.

Even if in the far-fetched realm of me being delusional and somehow substituting "useless" for "not attractive alternatives at all", my statement still stands. The fact is that people vote with their money and so far, their vote has been to purchase more of the cheaper Windows PCs.

This doesn't mean that Apple should immediately slash prices in half in order to attain highest market share. It simply means that there exists an opportunity at points where Apple can differentiate its products and capitalize on such value-adding features/capabilities. I see this being done in low-margin, high-valume products such as netbooks/sub-notebooks, as stated in my previous post.

This is what I have in mind: to compete with the OLPC/Asus EeePC/Dell Inspiron 7/Lenovo S510/other netbooks/sub-notebooks, Apple can put multitouch to good use and tackle the problem from a completely different, thought-out approach: instead of making users type on a scaled-down, teeny, uncomfortable keyboard, remove the keyboard completely and put multi-touch to good use in a 5-7" form factor display. Include a few USB ports (maybe wireless USB?) and a display-out port, WiFi, ExpressCard, bluetooth, and an option for integrated broadband, and there you have a great alternative for the mini-notebooks, one that the PC makers can never match. If the user wants a "real" keyboard, sell foldable bluetooth keyboards.
  • Reply 257 of 287
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

1)I believe you edited your post? Here's what it read when I replied to you:

If a post was edited, it gives the time at date of the last edit at the bottom of the post. There isn't one there, which means he didn't edit his post (unless he edited within a minute or two of posting, but since you replied over two hours later, that does not apply).

Also, if someone edits their post, and you've already quoted that post, the edit won't be reflected in the quote.

Edit: Like this!
  • Reply 258 of 287
    lugesmlugesm Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Therefore, to say that sub-$1000 Windows computers are useless is silly. And it's just downright moronic to ignore the emerging sub-notebook market: it's there, it's young, but it has the potential to literally get a Mac on every lap (or on many more laps). I think Apple is in a perfect position right now to compete in that market with a mini notebook that includes multi-touch on the display. Or it can be a tablet, no keyboard at all. If it's too difficult to type, grab a foldable keyboard.

alexluft -

My apologies for editing the quote from you above. I did not change your wording, just copied a part that makes a very important point . . . . the same point I was trying to make, but you did it more eloquently.

For business people who have notebook computers purchased by their companies, the lower cost Windows machines hold little attraction. However, for much of the world out there, the unique design features of the Macintosh are highly desirable. But, not everyone is on an unlimited budget . . . especially young people in high school and college. It is my hope that Apple will be able to offer, feature-for-feature, a new set of portables competitive with the sub-$1K Windows machines and at a price that will appeal to this youth market. The future lies there.
  • Reply 259 of 287
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    It comes down to this:

1. People realize laptops are not expensive toys. They are real tools where the quality of the tool translates into more income.

2. More people are realizing that paying $2000 for a laptop instead of $800 is well justified if you need high productivity which requires better specs on the laptop, instead of having two computers: a slow laptop for mobility AND a desktop at the office.

3. People are waking up to the fact that the difference between a $2000 macbook pro and a $2000 windows laptop (or $1000 macbook and $1000 windows laptop) is not just about looking cool and pretty but its about higher productivity. This is because of Leopard, which is designed so to maximize user time producing work and minimizing time maintaining the computer. In windows is not designed with this frame of mind. It is designed to be compatible with anything written in the last 30 years, which is inherently counterproductive because the gains in compatibility are more than offset by losses in efficiency.

So the conclusion is that the $2000 macbook pro is a bargain compared to the $2000 windows laptop simply because Leopard is ~ 10 years beyond and above Windows Vista or XP or anything else for that matter.
  • Reply 260 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

So the conclusion is that the $2000 macbook pro is a bargain compared to the $2000 windows laptop simply because Leopard is ~ 10 years beyond and above Windows Vista or XP or anything else for that matter.

Leaving the OS out of it, other PC vendors tend to charge considerably more for Apple for equivalent HW as you get to the higher-end machines. Whether it's because they aren't buying in the same volume as Apple since they have so many models and an average sale price half that of a Mac or figure they can make up their entry level losses with their higher tier machines or a combo of the two I don't know.