Next iPhone software update to deliver Safari, App Store tweaks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple last week began testing iPhone Software v2.2 beta 1, the next software update for the iPhone and iPod touch that will deliver, among other things, subtle interface changes to Safari and a new version of the company's App Store application.

The update, expected to be released next month, has thus far shown no signs of including support for background push notification -- a feature original promised for September, but pushed back slightly as development remains a work-in-progress.

Safari

People familiar with the first beta of version 2.2 have reported a handful of smaller changes, however, such as a redesign of Safari's address bar that presents web page titles more clearly.

It also sports a relocation of the Google search field, which is now displayed to the right of the URL field by default. Under existing versions of the iPhone OS, users must tap the address bar to reveal Google search capability.

iPhone Software v2.1 (left) compared to iPhone Software v2.2 (right).

App Store

Separately, developers have also noted a couple of changes to the App Store application shipping with the first beta of iPhone Software 2.2.

Among them is a new categories page that will feature large category icons -- not yet functional -- and more generous spacing between each listing.

Apple is also reported to have tweaked display pages for individual applications, shifting the "Tell a Friend" option from the title bar to just below the reviews summary, and adding a "Report a Problem" function that will allow shoppers to inform the company of problematic apps.

The changes to the App Store application remain a work-in-progress and are likely to be influenced by ongoing modifications to the App Store as a whole, several of which were covered earlier today.

AppleInsider reader 'Thinnovation' helped contribute to this report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I bet before next Christmas (2009) Apple will bring out a Apple store App.

Seriously though, Apple need to get on and add that Copy & Paste; they're becoming a joke Among other smartphone users for this at this stage. Copy & paste of text using the magnifier (2 second hold still) will do.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    I dislike the new Safari address bar. It simply reduces the visible portion of the URL, making it *harder* to see where you are. The Google field is completely useless and a massive waste of space; the smaller magnifying glass icon that brings it up as a full-width field is much better. I really hope they abandon this failed "redesign" and keep Safari the way it is now.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

I dislike the new Safari address bar. It simply reduces the visible portion of the URL, making it *harder* to see where you are. The Google field is completely useless and a massive waste of space; the smaller magnifying glass icon that brings it up as a full-width field is much better. I really hope they abandon this failed "redesign" and keep Safari the way it is now.

My thoughts exactly. The google bar is available now when I want it, but is put away when I don't.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

They must've had some problems with naive subjects not understanding that the magnifying glass means "Google Search." You know this, but obviously others don't.

It makes sense to mimic the desktop safari look.

Also, we haven't seen it in action.
  • Reply 5 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I bet before next Christmas (2009) Apple will bring out a Apple store App.

Seriously though, Apple need to get on and add that Copy & Paste; they're becoming a joke Among other smartphone users for this at this stage. Copy & paste of text using the magnifier (2 second hold still) will do.

The day I find a good journal app for the iPhone is the day I will really beg for a copy paste. Right now I get by fine without it.

My solution for copy:

"Double tap and drag" to select, autowraps selection on complete words, once the selection is done it's automatically copied.

My solution for paste and other things:

"Double tap and hold" could somewhat equal right click and bring up some slide-to-alternatives such as paste and other functions. This could look a bit like that japanese Kana keyboard that features that very neat 4-way slide select interface.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    Actually, Ireland, all of the other "smart" phones have become the laughing stock of the industry for not having a viable OS and multi-touch technology! The first Android phone doesn't even have an earphone jack! IS THAT HYSTERICAL OR WHAT?
  • Reply 7 of 71
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Wow... this is exciting news about 2.2... NOT!
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

They must've had some problems with naive subjects not understanding that the magnifying glass means "Google Search." You know this, but obviously others don't.

It makes sense to mimic the desktop safari look.

Also, we haven't seen it in action.

sigh... I agree but also we don't know how it looks once the google portion is clicked on and typed in. Also I'm pissed because this story has no mention of fixing all the crashing during safari browsing... if they don't fix im going phone shop... I don't need all these useless applications and an inaccurate gps... All I want is a good browser with accurate gps and copy paste. The g1 is looking better and better everyday.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    This is a pretty weak set of changes. The phrase "re-arranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic" comes to mind for some reason. Of course, it's not a perfect fit as I don't think the iPhone OS is actually "going down" like the Titanic did, but it's certainly a lot of fuss about nothing, and there are certainly a lot more substantive problems with the UI and the OS that could be addressed first.

The re-arrangement of the Safari address bar is especially galling to me as it will actually make my experience worse.

The Internet on the iPhone is better than the Internet on any other mobile hand-held, but let's face it, it's still not that good and is really only for emergencies. I discovered on the first day that the standalone Google app for iPhone is yards better, more convenient, and quicker than trying to use Google from within mobile Safari. Thus I never even use Google on mobile Safari.

This "improvement" will shorten the menu bar space, make it harder to put one's big fat fingers in the right place, and basically do nothing for me in return.

Apple really needs to get behind the idea of having more options, both in Safari, in iPhone OS in general. What's wrong with allowing people to chose which format they like instead of just unilaterally changing it and forcing millions of users around the world to do it their way? I am starting to get really sick of these things lately.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    I just bought my iPhone last week and was VERY surprised that I couldn't log into my YouTube account from the iPhone app.

I'd also like sorting options for my apps (most used, alpha, etc.) but perhaps that's an uncommon desire.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple needs to start showing the dates and times of all user submitted reviews. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to tell which version of an application the review is referring to.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple needs to start showing the dates and times of all user submitted reviews. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to tell which version of an application the review is referring to.

It's easy enough to do on the desktop iTunes, just sort reviews by Most Recent. I agree, though, they need something similar on the iPhone App Store, and don't understand why it hasn't been done already. Plus, add reviews to the WiFi music store like they have on the desktop iTunes, that should have been there in the beginning as well.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

why not a little more practical: just add the s/w version when the user comment was submitted... and the date as a small addition, but the most important detail is what s/w version the comment refers to...
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Safari redesign: thumbs down

App Store redesign: thumbs up
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Wow, UI changes in Safari? Are you kidding? How about actually fixing all the bugs with Safari, I can't stand it crashing almost every time I want to type in a text field!

Still waiting on cut/copy/paste, but we all know it's not high on the list of things to-do.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPond317 View Post

Wow, UI changes in Safari? Are you kidding? How about actually fixing all the bugs with Safari, I can't stand it crashing almost every time I want to type in a text field!

Still waiting on cut/copy/paste, but we all know it's not high on the list of things to-do.

Exactly. Give me new javascipt engine SquirrelFish Extreme, 10x more stable webkit, before anything like UI changes.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Can they make so Safari doesn't crash almost every time I use it? Seriously, it's terrible.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Actually, Ireland, all of the other "smart" phones have become the laughing stock of the industry for not having a viable OS and multi-touch technology! The first Android phone doesn't even have an earphone jack! IS THAT HYSTERICAL OR WHAT?

The issue is not that iPhone isn't better, the issue is it doesn't have one of the most basic features all other smartphone have, which is "needs". Sure, maybe it doesn't need MMS, as it has email, but it "needs" copy & paste. Every iPhone user will have a need for it. I don't have a need for it everyday, but when I do I'm simply shit out of luck. This is not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough.

As I described there is a simple solution for the copy & paste of text, and it should be added. I don't want to hear and more excuses about this. Apple isn't perfect you know. I'm saying this because I want them to add it, and because I like the iPhone. Don't get all defensive when presented with the truth. 90% of iPhone users have been begging for it for over a year now.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

Can they make so Safari doesn't crash almost every time I use it? Seriously, it's terrible.

It's not easy when you have a tiny browser handling all that data, html and javascript. These things take time to get right.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Safari redesign: thumbs down

App Store redesign: thumbs up

Curious as to why you'd think that app store redesign is bad? I always felt odd that all the categories weren't distinguishable at a glance.