Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 2481 of 2639
    Ahhh,...recovering from Hurricane Ike. No electricity for a week certainly sucks.

Anywho, thought I'd share this news, FYI...

First 6x Blu-ray blank media now available

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9114960

Quote:

September 17, 2008 (Computerworld) Imation Corp. today announced the first 6x Blu-ray recordable (BD-R) and Blu-ray recordable double layer (BD-R DL) media for the U.S. retail market.

The new 6x BD-R discs will have up to a 216Mbit/sec. data transfer speed. The discs are hard-coated and made of a "highly sensitive inorganic material" that enable long lasting performance.

Blu-ray comes in 25GB, single layer and 50GB, double layer discs. Using TDK Life on Record 6x Blu-ray discs, consumers can record 25GB of data in as little as 17 minutes -- approximately six minutes faster than a prevously available 4x BD-R.

Imation is hawking its TDK-branded Blu-ray discs at consumers for archviving digital content. The company said the new Blu-ray discs also address compatibility issues found with previous models through the use of the VER. 1.3. format, which Imation claims to be the most compatable with Blu-ray burners today.

TDK Life on Record Blu-ray 6x media will be available in 25GB single-layer and 50GB double-layer capacities starting in October, at a retail price of $13.99 for a BD-R disc and $32.99 for a BD-R DL.

Imation said it is also launching a full line of TDK Life on Record-branded accessories for Blu-ray disc cleaning and storage to protect and maintain high-definition content, including the following:

TDK Life on Record Opticloth for Blu-ray, a reusable microfiber cloth to clean Blu-ray media safely. They will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $4.99. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Clean Cloths -- dry, disposable, nonabrasive cloths for removing dust, dirt and oil from Blu-ray disc surfaces. The cloths will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $4.99 for a pack of 20 cloths. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Player Laser Lens Cleaner, which helps maintain and clean Blu-ray players. It will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $29.99. TDK Life on Record Blu-ray Tyvek Sleeves for storing Blu-ray discs in a scratch-resistant sleeve. Packs of 25 will be available in November for a suggested retail price of $8.99.

• Reply 2482 of 2639
    Holy crap!!

this threads still here!?
  • Reply 2483 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Well Murch, I've seen $350 players now so I'm sure there will be at least one for $249 by Christmas.

I managed to find this one at Best Buy - It's their Insignia for $230. I sent the link to my wife as a way to introduce the discussion topic - she still gives me grief over my buying HD-DVD last fall. She surprised me buy buying it as a gift.

Not much time with it yet, but no problems.
  • Reply 2484 of 2639
    $14 for blank BR media!!!!!
  • Reply 2485 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I remember $25 blank CDs, single speed at that!!
  • Reply 2486 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

It will be worth my interest when street price hit around $5, but ideally right around $2 for SL media would be even nicer. I'm sure the price will go down if one can wait long enough.
  • Reply 2487 of 2639
    So I got my Transformers BR in from Amazon last Friday. I briefly owned the HD-DVD version and watched it about three times before returning the player for PS3.

And I remember the infamous rant that Michael Bay made about his precious movie not being released on the superior Blu-Ray format.

So I put my shiny new BR version of Transformers in my PS3 waiting to be blown away by Blu-Ray's superiority!!!! And guess what....

It was the EXACTLY THE SAME as the HD-DVD experience. But hey, I've got uncompressed audio now!!! WooT! My neighbor will be so happy!

[/sarcasm]

Look, I love my PS3 and my BR collection. My point, ultimately, is that I giggled this weekend when I watched the BR version of Transformers and realized there was absolutely no difference between the two (unless, of course, uncompressed audio floats your boat).
  • Reply 2488 of 2639
    Is Blu-Ray on the ropes?

If big screen TV sales decline drastically in the U.S. (as is likely), is BR going to be able to stay alive?
  • Reply 2489 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is Blu-Ray on the ropes?

If big screen TV sales decline drastically in the U.S. (as is likely), is BR going to be able to stay alive?

Who knows. So far big screen flat panel TV sales seem to be holding up.

Frank, what's your definition of big screen?
  • Reply 2490 of 2639
    This morning on AVSforum it was reported that Amazon was selling Sony and Panasonic BD players in the $250 ? $260 range. Three Warner Bros. BDs were included in the price. Many of Amazon's sales seem to last for a very short duration so I don't know if it's still on.
  • Reply 2491 of 2639
    I got myself a cheap HiDef combo player, but I have hard time finding cheap Blu-ray movies to play in it. I'm still buying more HD-DVD titles than Blu-ray. Check out the amazon.co.uk for interesting bargains on HD-DVD imports.

However, my blu-ray wish list just keeps getting longer. I just have to wait until I get all my stuff out of storage and then I won't feel bad spending more $ on blu-ray titles.
  • Reply 2492 of 2639
    bite, you're right about lack of bargain priced BR titles. Hopefully there will be sales during 4Q leading up to Christmas. Someone reported that Columbia House has some BOGO sales occasionally and that you can sign up for BR as your introductory purchase rather than DVD but I haven't investigated further. I know they were probably the best source for LD at the time.

I guess right now if you want some of the excellent titles that came out this month and are scheduled for October and November release, you'll have to go with Amazon for their 30% or whatever off new releases. I watched L.A. Confidential last night, a great movie with an excellent transfer, and will work my way through The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration this week.
  • Reply 2493 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I got myself a cheap HiDef combo player, but I have hard time finding cheap Blu-ray movies to play in it.

Me too. I've been sticking almost exclusively to renting via Netflix. All of the desirable films never fall below $25 online, and in-store prices stay at $30 or even $35. Blu-Ray discs seem to be sitting comfortably at twice the price of their DVD counterparts.
  • Reply 2494 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Me too. I've been sticking almost exclusively to renting via Netflix. All of the desirable films never fall below $25 online, and in-store prices stay at $30 or even $35. Blu-Ray discs seem to be sitting comfortably at twice the price of their DVD counterparts.

Try ebay.
  • Reply 2495 of 2639
    While looking for Iron Man on Blu Ray (amazon top seller) I noticed that Blu Ray disks are going to be coming with digital copy disks starting with Disney/PIxar Wall-E.
  • Reply 2496 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

While looking for Iron Man on Blu Ray (amazon top seller) I noticed that Blu Ray disks are going to be coming with digital copy disks starting with Disney/PIxar Wall-E.

Actually they've been doing that for some months now, but I believe Wall*E will be the first Disney movie to do so.

Edit: Actually that's not true either, The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Disney release that included Digital Copy.
  • Reply 2497 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Holy crap!!

this threads still here!?

Exactly... But seems like it should be renamed 'BD Harware and Media'. Any queries about movies, sweet deals, etc. should probably be discussed at blu-ray.com.
  • Reply 2498 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Exactly... But seems like it should be renamed 'BD Harware and Media'. Any queries about movies, sweet deals, etc. should probably be discussed at blu-ray.com.

Or in the BD forum on AVS.

This thread does have legs. It's been around since 2006? Now if we can just get marz and murch to pull the trigger on a BD player, this thread could die in peace.
  • Reply 2499 of 2639
    I have a new samsung BD-P1500 blu-ray player and it is totally awesome. I would say that the only problem would be the length of time it takes to wait for the blu-ray disc to load, otherwise, the picture quality is awesome!

http://www.notebooks4college.com
  • Reply 2500 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Actually they've been doing that for some months now, but I believe Wall*E will be the first Disney movie to do so.

Edit: Actually that's not true either, The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Disney release that included Digital Copy.

Your right.

HItman was the first BR w/DC

Bank Job had DC

and so did Eye .

The thing I like about having Blu Ray is the fact that I have an internet connection with my disk, and you don't have to go put your DVD in your Mac to access the DVD-ROM features that were rarely Mac compatible anyway.

Loaded Iron Man in today and went online right from my player and signed up a BD-Live account. A cool thing was I didn't have to sign up to get the downloadable content extras with the disk. I got the download with out having to make an account.