Apple's US retail notebook share up to 20 percent?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
One in five notebooks purchased at US retail outlets during the recent back-to-school buying season were Macs, according to a new report.

Citing data from market research firm NPD, the Register notes that sales of Apple's notebook lines shot up more than 35 percent year-over-year to claim 20 percent of the US retail market during the months of July and August.

When quantified in terms of retail dollar share, rather than unit share, the Mac maker's slice of the market came in even higher, rising 30 percent to account for an identical 35 percent of all moneys spent on notebook computers during those months.

Sales of Windows-based notebooks are reported to have fallen 1.5 percent in dollar share and 10 percent in units during the same time frame.

Word of the latest surge in MacBook sales comes less than two weeks after NPD released similar data, showing that Apple's share of the North American notebook market to have risen more than 60 percent to 10.6 percent during the three-month period ending June.

The surge was good enough to boost the company into the fourth position overall amongst all North American notebook manufacturers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
  • Reply 2 of 28
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    My wife switched about a year ago. Last night she picked up her old Thinkpad, a machine we both loved, and said, "Whoa. This looks so....dated."

And then she waited while it took over a minute to wake up and get on the network. I can't imagine how much work MS would have to do to get us to switch back.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    And still the stock is down. I just don't get it...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Awesome photo. Is it yours? I'd like to post it on my site....
  • Reply 5 of 28
    I can tell you that as a grad student at the 10th ranked college (For football), we have a lot more macs I bought my MacBook Pro because I figured that most of the kids couldn't afford a Pro and it would make me stand out a bit more. Yeah, that's not the case.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

Because as long as Apple is in business, there will be folks who knock them, say bad things about them, lie and cheat to make them look bad. This causes all those damn day traders to buy and sell based on what they see and read, instead of doing any research and seeing for themselves how good Apple stock is.

Apple has always been a scape goat from most marketers and analyst and because of this the stock is always up and down.

Hell Apple can come out with an OUTSTANDING quarter and the stock will still go down. That's mostly because those same folks will say "Apple is having a great quarter and should show great numbers next week ? blah, blah blah, and the next week they say, oops, looks like they won't meet projections ? and it goes down.

They don't meet their projections, yet they increase the business, hell in most cases, it's the best quarter ever (compared to the same quarter in years past), but the stock goes down?

Apple stock is one stock many folks are making money with. Many of these folks want it to go down, so they can get more at a cheap price, and then they'll start playing the word and guessing game, in hopes to make the stock shoot up.

It's a game some of us stock holders do not like, but we learn to live with. If you own apple stock, keep it, it WILL go up. Apple has way to many things coming out, and they ARE doing to good for the stock not to go up.

Skip
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleshman03 View Post

...I bought my MacBook Pro because I figured that most of the kids couldn't afford a Pro and it would make me stand out a bit more....

Please tell me you're joking....or that you snagged the head cheerleader.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Please tell me you're joking....or that you snagged the head cheerleader.

Hey man, college is rough these days. I mean, I remember back in the good old days when a girl would date you just because you had a Mac but now a days it's a lot tougher! You have to at least have the 15" MBP!

• Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

That's because you're trying to apply logic to a completely illogical market
  • Reply 10 of 28
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleshman03 View Post

I can tell you that as a grad student at the 10th ranked college (For football), we have a lot more macs I bought my MacBook Pro because I figured that most of the kids couldn't afford a Pro and it would make me stand out a bit more. Yeah, that's not the case.

Ahhh USF, the beneficiary of location, a crappy conference who desperately needed 8 teams, and some voters' goodwill. Just had to rib you. My undergrad alma mater is sitting at 15 right now and my grad school (ranked #1 in its field) doesn't even have a football team, let alone a team to get excited about.

Oh yeah, Apple forum. I have been holding off my laptop purchase in anticipation of the new releases. Hopefully my wait will be rewarded. Right now I am plugging along on my 2002 eMac and my work issued Thinkpad. I've got the Windows blues.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    So every 4 notebooks out of 5 are PCs.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Hey man, college is rough these days. I mean, I remember back in the good old days when a girl would date you just because you had a Mac but now a days it's a lot tougher! You have to at least have the 15" MBP!

size matters
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Last night she picked up her old Thinkpad, a machine we both loved, and said, "Whoa. This looks so....dated." And then she waited while it took over a minute to wake up and get on the network.

Windows: It just labors.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

So every 4 notebooks out of 5 are PCs.

No. 4 out of 5 sold during July/August (at retail) were PCs. The percentage of PCs as a whole is higher than that, but it is declining.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    What's the difference between vegas and stocks?

...You have a better chance of leaving with more money in vegas

Ok, maybe that isn't funny, but at this point it seems like it could be true!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

Awesome photo. Is it yours? I'd like to post it on my site....

Unlikely, it's an old image thats been knocking around the internet for at least a couple of years.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

<image> :: http://lbhat.files.wordpress.com/200...41ed85d420.jpg

In last week's The Office they showed a college classroom with nothing but Macs. THe show has referenced and used Apple products often, but this looked more like it was showing the college/trend of Macs.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Funny episode. I did notice the same thing tho - I was like wow - every single person has a MB and they are all plugging in and then use iChat to talk to each other. Gotta love product placement advertising!!

Everybody say hi to pam!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Gotta love product placement advertising!!

It's either getting much more common in both film and TV or I'm just noticing it more. It is definitely distracting at times, but I can't fault them for using this method with such prevalent digital theft and time shifting methods in place.

edit: Arrested Development satirized it well. The description from Wiki (below) doesn't do the scene justice.
    "Later, Weathers meets with Tobias at Burger King, and explains he is directing an episode of Scandalmakers and needs Tobias to sign over the rights for the story of his family. The whole scene satirizes product placement (Burger King is a major sponsor of both the real Arrested Development and fictitious Scandalmakers), with Weathers joyfully remarking that refills are totally free."

• Reply 20 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Hellllllloooooooo! McFly! In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of one of the greatest market crashes in modern times.