iMac: Glossy or Matte - Which Would You Prefer?

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 126
    Remember this story ?

"Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Apple's patent for an LCD display that also takes photos, video

By Appleinsider Staff

Published: 12:00 PM EST"

Well, if you look in through a matte glass plate that is placed right

up to an art print or an LCD, it works beautifully.

BUT, if you try to look OUT through the same glass plate, toward the room contents, IT IS TOTALLY USELESS -- BLURRED.

So, IMHO, Apple is getting us used to gloss (trying to) so that it can implement this technology.

WHAT ELSE IS BEING FORCED ?

Here is what : we have gone from the clip-on iSight with its featured privacy iris that twists shut for POSITIVE indication of

visual privacy >>> to the built-in, tiny camera that forces us to rely on electronic switch-off (like the mute button on cell phones that nobody trusts) BUT could still be shuttered with tape, etc. >>> to the future where THE SCREEN ITSELF contains an optical phased array (the algorithms must already abound by way of radio astronomy and such ) AND YOU CAN NOT DISABLE IT WITHOUT LOSING USE OF THE SCREEN ITSELF --- cover the screen ? Duh.

It is now known that cell phones can be infected, by governments, with malware that enable the snoopers to turn on the mic with no hint to the user that they are bugged.

It is obvious that the iPhone can not have it's battery removed , on the fly, as many security-minded officials do ; Chenney comes to mind .

It is of little comfort that Google uses "only statistical data" when it listens in on us for sounds of crying babies, barking dogs, motorcycles reving, etc. to pipe ads for pampers, dog chow, and

engine additives. THE POINT IS the barn door IS open and our privacy is gone.

So, why not go VISUAL with this trend ?

Why not a real "1984 " VISI-SCREEN that cannot be turned off, with certainty ?

I hope we don't get the usual dismissive, idiot responses that abound on the "internets" or the spineless "if-you-have-nothing-to-hide-why-worry-about-it" crap from the

conformist corner.

It would be nice if we got a serious response to this.

---gooddog
  • Reply 122 of 126
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

So, IMHO, Apple is getting us used to gloss (trying to) so that it can implement this technology.

Why not a real "1984 " VISI-SCREEN that cannot be turned off, with certainty ?

I hope we don't get the usual dismissive, idiot responses that abound on the "internets" or the spineless "if-you-have-nothing-to-hide-why-worry-about-it" crap from the

conformist corner.

It's not conformist to assume that there are people working at Apple who feel the same way about personal security and who wouldn't allow the product to go ahead without testing the ability to know the screen camera is definitely off.

It's an interesting point about the use of glossy displays. It's real benefit is it's transmissive properties, which is what makes images and text sharper so Apple could well be gearing up for this eventually.

If they go all glossy with the new Mac laptops, a lot of pros are gonna be seriously pissed off though so I don't think it will be a concern as there will be an option to have the camera or not.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hate to state obvious, but most of the people here aren't where Apple gets the majority or their customers from.

Juz wondering, where are those guys where Apple gets the majority or their customers from ?
  • Reply 124 of 126
    Personally I HATE immensely glossy screens. Apple, please, bring back the matte option on all your hardware.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cleanzero View Post

Personally I HATE immensely glossy screens. Apple, please, bring back the matte option on all your hardware.

Then don't but one, I love my glossy display, with it's great colors.
  • Reply 126 of 126
    thanks for tips