Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just to be clear, Montevina is a chipset and Nehelam is a CPU. So, Apple is currently using Santa Rosa chipsets with Penryn CPUs. The next machines will use Montevina chipsets with Penryn CPUs. After that, it will Montevina chipsets with Nehelam CPUs.

As for the arrival of Nehalam, it should occur later this year of early next year, but that will be for server and workstation-grade CPUs. Notebook-grade won't happen for about a year.

The Montevina chipset and Nehalem CPU do not go together. When mobile Nehalem (Clarksfield) arrives in about a year, it will have its own chipset (a mobile version of Ibexpeak).
  • Reply 282 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The Montevina chipset and Nehalem CPU do not go together. When mobile Nehalem (Clarksfield) arrives in about a year, it will have its own chipset (a mobile version of Ibexpeak).

You're right. I thought that it would be the same socket that wouldn't change until Westmere. I wish Intel would use easier to remember names; it's confusing enough when you do follow this stuff.
  • Reply 283 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

It's not sure that Apple will use the Montevina chipset at all: there rumors about switching to an nvidia chipset with much more powerful integrated graphic. That would be great for MacBooks.

I really don't see much weight to that rumour. There are just too many issues with not going with Intel in this regard and I don't believe NVIDIA's Tegra will go into production for nearly a year from now.
  • Reply 284 of 287
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    OpenCL anyone?
  • Reply 285 of 287
    Quote:

You're right. I thought that it would be the same socket that wouldn't change until Westmere. I wish Intel would use easier to remember names; it's confusing enough when you do follow this stuff.

I'm with you on the code names, but they are just that, internal code names. They don't make them up with the expectation that people will actually use them. And apart from computer enthusiast forums, no one does.

Also, there's no way a Nehalem processor could use the same socket and chipset as an existing Intel CPU, they're just too radically different. Lacking a frontside bus and all.
  • Reply 286 of 287
    palplepalple Posts: 35member
    Quote:

I really don't see much weight to that rumour. There are just too many issues with not going with Intel in this regard and I don't believe NVIDIA's Tegra will go into production for nearly a year from now.

The nvidia chipset rumoured to be in the new MacBooks will be officially introduced on October 15th, and it is already in production!
  • Reply 287 of 287
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

The nvidia chipset rumoured to be in the new MacBooks will be officially introduced on October 15th, and it is already in production!

The MCP7A-U chipset, that some rumor sites are talking about and that will be introduced on oct. 15 is a DESKTOP chipset, it's not designed to be used on an notebook.

Quote:

MCP7A-U is the top class chipset in the MCP7A family. Though it could be named as GeForce 9XXX, it will be come the first mainstream uATX mobo with DDR3-1333 support. Sources inform us the MCP7A-U will be the ?fastest mGPU?, but who knows.

The only chipset from nvidia that COULD be used on a future notebook is the rumored MCP79 (single chip chipset) for which very few information is available, let alone the release date...