Apple denies CNN iReport of Steve Jobs heart attack

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has categorically denied a citizen report published to the CNN iReport website early Friday claiming that chief executive Steve Jobs had been rushed to a local ER following a major heart attack.

"It is not true," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told Reuters.

CNN describes its iReport site as a venue where ordinary citizen journalists can share their "passion about the news."

"At CNN we live for news. We love talking about it. And we know that there's a whole lot more to it than what you see on TV or read on your favorite Web site," the news agency says. "So we've launched an independent world where you, the iReport.com community, tell the stories we're not used to seeing. And the most compelling, important, and urgent ones may get seen on CNN."

The report about Jobs appears to have been one of the stories deemed suitable for publication on the alternative news service. Although CNN has since removed the report, a copy secured by Silicon Alley Insider can be seen below:

Steve Jobs was rushed to the ER just a few hours ago after suffering a major heart attack. I have an insider who tells me that paramedics were called after Steve claimed to be suffering from severe chest pains and shortness of breath. My source has opted to remain anonymous, but he is quite reliable. I haven't seen anything about this anywhere else yet, and as of right now, I have no further information, so I thought this would be a good place to start. If anyone else has more information, please share it.

Friday's incident is the second scare in as many months to send a shiver through the Apple investment community and industry watchers in general. On August 28th, the Bloomberg news service accidently published an obituary for Jobs while making a routine update to its stock files.

Shares of Apple entered into a 10 point free fall following the most recent incident Friday before recovering nearly all those loses after the company officially denied the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    A lot of people trying to kill steve lately...

<first post! he he>
  • Reply 2 of 69
    from ALL news reporting entities. They should all be made to triple verify ALL sources for credibility and proof before publishing.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

from ALL news reporting entities. They should all be made to triple verify ALL sources for credibility and proof before publishing.

Okay, Steve, I really think a dedicated GPU should be in all the macs, but really, let's leave him alone and if this is bogus, this is very bad or the person reporting is very disturbed.

Steve and Jonathan have changed the way (and Gates) the way we do computing.

Thank you Gates, Jobs, Jonathan.

Please people, these people have changed our lives, we really need to let it go. Both OS's have their strengths and weakness', but they both work and change the way we work.

Thank you for changing our lives and giving us competition.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    both should get rid of their iReport / uReport. I like how a "i" reporter has anonymous sources. I thought iReport was for average joe six pack to take a picture of the aftermath of a hurricane or tell what they saw about a car accident. But to say to news organizations that... "according to my anonymous sources, Mr. "X" (fill in the blank)".

To start taking "news" stories from your average citizen who has their "anonymous sources" is a little scary if that is what these cable news organizations are now becoming.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Can you believe the never-ending crap that drives the volatility in Apples shares? When will the SEC and the feds move to hold the rumor mongers responsible? The problems on Wall Street don't begin and end in the financial markets.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    If I were the SEC, I would be looking VERY carefully at the use of "rumor blogs" such as iReport (and frankly, AppleInsider) as source material for trading decisions.

If someone had a large short on APPL and posted this story, they would be in a the position to make a LOT of money...

Just goes to show how driven by herd mentaility many investors are...
  • Reply 7 of 69
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Sometimes I really hate investors.

Timmy fell into the well?! ABANDON SHIP!!! SELL SELL SELL! SAVE MY ASS!

No, don't bother sticking by the company you're investing in, that would be ridiculous! Instead, do the honourable thing, tuck your tail in and scramble over the nearest molehill.

Christ. What do these people do when a family member dies?

Thank heavens this was just a rumour.

Jimzip
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Could this be someone trying to make a quick fortune from the stock reaction? This makes me mad, if that's the case...
  • Reply 9 of 69
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    CNN lost credibility eons ago. CNN = 24 hour rubbish.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    to the guy that made the report:

MAY YOU LIVE FOREVER

• Reply 11 of 69
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

CNN lost credibility eons ago. CNN = 24 hour rubbish.

All the 24-hour stations are rubbish except during the few times every few years where there are 24 hours worth of news in a day (start of a war, major hurricanes, election night, etc). A typical day has about an hour, tops, and the rest is fluff. This is true of all of them. CNN Headline News is probably the best news (excepting the Daily Show) because they really just cut to the chase.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

Could this be someone trying to make a quick fortune from the stock reaction? This makes me mad, if that's the case...

no shit Sherlock...
  • Reply 13 of 69
    I do believe this story (and the Bloomberg/Steve Jobs death) was intentionally done to cause harm.

So f*king lame.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    "At CNN we live for news. We love talking about it. And we know that there's a whole lot more to it than what you see on TV or read on your favorite Web site..."

based on the last 8 years of coverage, i'd say cnn lives for the news?whether it's true or not.

ambulance chasers, all of 'em.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

CNN describes its iReport site as a venue where ordinary citizen journalists can share their "passion about the news."

This "reporter" needs to be found and prosecuted (for something-or-other). Make him or

her an example. Or put some scare into CNN for irresponsibly posting this rubbish without

verifying anything.

Journalism ain't what it used to be.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

My source has opted to remain anonymous, but he is quite reliable. I haven't seen anything about this anywhere else yet, and as of right now, I have no further information

Pretty much sums it up. That information alone would make me suspicious and not publish.

Nevertheless, a nice bit of marketing by CNN
  • Reply 17 of 69
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    In today's time, I don't believe anything without a grainy cell phone photo, especially from those "citizen journalists".

Everyone has a phone. Even the cheapo phone has a camera. If anything happened anywhere about anybody, there will be photos.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    CNN is a joke. I-reporters are selected to push CNN agenda-which is to create cr** news and then speculate if it is true. Lets turn the tables pick a CNN reporter and opine about what may be true. I hear that Campbell Brown had to shag Larry King to get a promotion
  • Reply 19 of 69
    This does expose a flaw with Apple though - Apple has to move beyond Steve Jobs.

Right now, Apple is Jobs. While he has certainly been amazing for the company, it's time that they recognize that he is mortal, and to have some clear future plans for the company after he retires - it's irresponsible to the investors not to. If Jobs were to be hit by a bus tomorrow, Apple's stock would drop 50% at least. I think that there are very few other companies like that. By the time that he retires, there should be no doubt that he's passing the torch to someone able to grow and nourish the company just as much (or better yet, even more) than he could.

But again, right now Apple is Jobs, and I think it's time that that image changed. Apple needs a 100 year plan to remove the egos surrounding the company, and to secure its future.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

All the 24-hour stations are rubbish except during the few times every few years where there are 24 hours worth of news in a day (start of a war, major hurricanes, election night, etc). A typical day has about an hour, tops, and the rest is fluff. This is true of all of them.

You mean all the AMERICAN ones, right?

CBC and BBC have really good 24 hr news channels. Not just better international coverage, but better coverage of news in the US too. Actual news too, not "what's Brittney doing today?"