Apple denies CNN iReport of Steve Jobs heart attack

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Maybe I should put in a good until canceled order to buy at $95 for the next weasel who manipulates the stock. Could have made a quick buck on that deal.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Have any of you ever used iReport or even heard of it until today? Of course the people are responsible for what they upload...and I agree that it citing "anonymous sources" should not be allowed. However, most of what is on iReport are people's opinions and their pictures of events. I have had pictures in my "iReport" on wildfires in May used by CNN. I have also shared my opinion and viewed others' on events like the bailout bill last week and the war in Georgia. I am very critical of CNN's bias in reporting...but iReport shows everyone's opinion and I like it. It is terrible that people like this ruin the reputation of this site...but that does not mean that it is as bad as you all are portraying it.

Fox was quick to criticize the report... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432222,00.html
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

If I were the SEC, I would be looking VERY carefully at the use of "rumor blogs" such as iReport (and frankly, AppleInsider) as source material for trading decisions.

If someone had a large short on APPL and posted this story, they would be in a the position to make a LOT of money...

Just goes to show how driven by herd mentaility many investors are...

Just look at AAPL's volume in the first half hour over 30 Million Shares Traded!

This was pure Manipulation someone had a Massive Short Position!

Average Volume is round 32 million for a day!
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

This does expose a flaw with Apple though - Apple has to move beyond Steve Jobs.

Right now, Apple is Jobs. While he has certainly been amazing for the company, it's time that they recognize that he is mortal, and to have some clear future plans for the company after he retires - it's irresponsible to the investors not to. If Jobs were to be hit by a bus tomorrow, Apple's stock would drop 50% at least. I think that there are very few other companies like that. By the time that he retires, there should be no doubt that he's passing the torch to someone able to grow and nourish the company just as much (or better yet, even more) than he could.

But again, right now Apple is Jobs, and I think it's time that that image changed. Apple needs a 100 year plan to remove the egos surrounding the company, and to secure its future.

How many times do people have to be so ridiculous in thinking that Apple does not have a clear plan for the time that Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple Inc. is out of the company?

Where do you people get the idea that there is not a clear, solid plan in place?

So many people revere Steve Jobs as a genius, and yet think that he is so stupid as to build up "his" company the way he has, and not have a plan for when he passes away or retires?

Are you all crazy?
  • Reply 25 of 69
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Ok I will be the first......

So Please LEAVE STEVE JOBS Alone.....(sob) (sob)
  • Reply 26 of 69
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Has any one seen Steve since this report?

Shit like this does cause some concern. If he hasn't, maybe Steve should get on some News Show (hell it's FREE advertising), to let folks know he's doing fine. I'm sure stock holders would love to see something, that would help get the stock back up in the BIG numbers.

Steve owes no one nor does he have to do this, but it would help Apple / Him and stock holders. I believe that's a Win, Win, Win for all parties involved.

Skip
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:

I think it's time that that image changed. Apple needs a 100 year plan to remove the egos surrounding the company, and to secure its future.

Images are created in the minds that see them - That means that an image is just a figment of one's imagination and not necessarily the true reality.

Can't you put things in proper perspective and understand that you don't know anything about reality?

Do you really think that Jobs and Apple don't have plans, contingencies and a full competent team of suitable people that makes this company function - Present and Future?
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

This does expose a flaw with Apple though - Apple has to move beyond Steve Jobs.

Right now, Apple is Jobs. While he has certainly been amazing for the company, it's time that they recognize that he is mortal, and to have some clear future plans for the company after he retires - it's irresponsible to the investors not to. If Jobs were to be hit by a bus tomorrow, Apple's stock would drop 50% at least. I think that there are very few other companies like that. By the time that he retires, there should be no doubt that he's passing the torch to someone able to grow and nourish the company just as much (or better yet, even more) than he could.

But again, right now Apple is Jobs, and I think it's time that that image changed. Apple needs a 100 year plan to remove the egos surrounding the company, and to secure its future.

Absolute rubbish!

That is like saying, if somebody had falsely reported that your mother was killed in a car accident, that it exposed a flaw with your family. What, your father hadn't made an arrangement for a new wife to take over doing your laundry?

What it did do, was expose a flaw in blogging and internet reporting. Like the rules of good journalism when it is followed, "No publishing without confirmation."
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Images are created in the minds that see them - That means that an image is just a figment of one's imagination and not necessarily the true reality.

Can't you put things in proper perspective and understand that you don't know anything about reality?

Do you really think that Jobs and Apple don't have plans, contingencies and a full competent team of suitable people that makes this company function - Present and Future?

I believe they have something in place, now it's time to let folks know what, who, when and how these things will play out.

We ALL know (as proof by the stock slide based on the story) that Steve is currently "Apple".

Does Steve design stuff ? maybe

Does Steve build the stuff ? no

Does Steve assemble the stuff ? no

Does Steve answer the phones ? no

Does Steve take care of financials ? no

Does Steve RUN the company ? no

As much as Steve IS the man, Apple will continue to run, grow and survive if or when Steve has gone, but as a publicly traded company (I believe) they should show their hand and get this "Steve" stuff behind them / us.

IMO

Skip

Does Steve
  • Reply 30 of 69
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    I gave up on CNN about a decade ago, deciding to avoid them whenever possible. The key factors included:

1. Racism. When sexual harassment appeared in the news, they made the ill-founded charges against Clarence Thomas the backstory. They could have used much better supported examples such as Bill Clinton (Democrat) or Bob Packwood (Republican). The former lost a lawsuit, the latter was so vain, he wrote up his antics in a diary kept by his own staff. Instead CNN picks on an "uppity" black man who was lied about. That's racism in my book.

2. Homosexuals in the military. One of our servicemen in Japan killed a fellow serviceman and because the latter was a homosexual, it triggered the usual chatter about homophobia and how the military should change its policy. Only at the very end of the trial did it come out that the murderer was the homosexual lover of the victim. CNN didn't give listeners that important fact, preferring to claim others did not know his motives. When you're obviously exercising care to not say something, that isn't ignorance, it's bias and dishonesty.

3. Gulf war on the scene. CNN reporters in Bagdad at the start of the Gulf War were so eager to appease Saddam that it was nauseating. Imagine Edward R. Murrow reporting not from London but from Berlin but with the same words and you get the feel of it.

4. Volcanic eruptions that merely do things. Volcanic eruptions invariably put so much dust in the upper atmosphere that global temperatures drop for months afterward. It's one of the few knowns in weather forecasting. Well, when we had a major volcanic eruption in the Philippines, CNN tiptoed around that fact, giving other impact but not global cooling. Why? Because if the world copes easily with a 1 to 1.5 degree drop in the average temperature, it can just as easily cope with the same drop, negating the 'global warming' hysteria CNN promotes.

Actually the last isn't quite true. It's far easier to cope with a rise in temperatures than a fall. Agriculture can easily adapt to a longer growing season. It isn't as easy to handle a shorter one. And globally the excess of deaths due to cold is greater than the excess deaths due to heat. If all that Gore is hot and bothered about happens, it's estimated that 2 million fewer people would die to temperature extremes.

Of course, if you're Gore and travel in climate-conditioned SUV and private jets, that's not an issue. You're more interested in selling your 'documentaries' and books to pay for that sort of lifestyle. CNN and Gore are alike in that respect.

All in all, I wouldn't worry that CNN got this story so dreadfully wrong. CNN is constantly getting stories wrong. That's one reason why they've lost so much audience share to Fox News.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

(I believe) they should show their hand and get this "Steve" stuff behind them / us.

Show their hand to satisfy the curiosity and ignorance of the "me too, have opinion" morons?!

Get a life and some good self measure too. You need it if you really think that you can second guess the proven prowess and competence of professionals that have the kind of track record Apple top staff do.

Public company or not, if you can't get behind and trust Apple's proven record - then go away and don't invest in or buy Apple products.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Absolute rubbish!

That is like saying, if somebody had falsely reported that your mother was killed in a car accident, that it exposed a flaw with your family. What, your father hadn't made an arrangement for a new wife to take over doing your laundry?

What it did do, was expose a flaw in blogging and internet reporting. Like the rules of good journalism when it is followed, "No publishing without confirmation."

Based on what I see - Apple denied he had a heart attack - I wonder if in fact he was rushed to the hospital? There is not a denial (at least on the web) that he was rushed to the hospital
  • Reply 33 of 69
    I believe Bill Gates and MS did it right.

Let Bill step aside without any concern or controversy and let MS operate based on who and what they are … not who or what Bill Gates is.

I maybe wrong, but I don't believe the company stock took a dive after he stepped aside?

Skip
  • Reply 34 of 69
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    They should create a sister network channel called CRN to differentiate content.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Absolute rubbish!

If the wife did laundry for MILLIONS of folks, and if the laundry she did, was so great that she became a publicly traded company, and if there were thousands of jobs at risk, if she died - then your answer is yes!

If the wife was a company ?

A very poor analogy to say the least.

Skip
  • Reply 36 of 69
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Things went downhill when news organizations started using bloggers as credible sources. I don't think they realize that anyone can create a blog. It might become popular but that doesn't make it true. Such is the state of journalism and sadly, society in general. I can feel the collective IQ being pulled lower and lower.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    In this era of questionable "news" CNN like many other news agencies these days is having great difficult checking their information and getting to market before other agencies. As a result credibility and integrity are being skimmed.

Jim
  • Reply 38 of 69
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I gave up on CNN about a decade ago, deciding to avoid them whenever possible. ...All in all, I wouldn't worry that CNN got this story so dreadfully wrong. CNN is constantly getting stories wrong.

People never seem to get that "News" and "journalism" are businesses today, and top management cares more about profit than accuracy. (You can offer a retraction or correction as an "news update", but your balance sheets get looked at by investors who want to see profits.) Years ago CNN sacked hundreds of career reporters and replaced them with "cutie pie" talking heads that could read a teleprompter while they ran video they bought from the open market cheaper than gathering it themselves. They weren't alone, or even first. CBS destroyed their news division in the late 1980s by eliminating hundreds of workers, but kept Dan Rather and bumped him to several million bucks a year. His inaccuracies ended up finally costing him his job, but not until many CBS News co-workers lost theirs to pay for him first.

News organizations never really care about who wins an election, because they know they're going to pillory whoever gets into office. News is about 10-second sound bites that can be replayed over and over without paying someone to get a meaningful interview --they have effectively lowered the cost of news gathering over the years, banking on people having less time to pay attention, and a morbid interest in the grotesque. ("Never mind our city's finances are tanking, here's a video of a school bus on fire after it hit a cow four states away!")

They typically follow the most controversial story because they know they'll get more eyes. That's how ratings are figured, and higher ratings means you can charge more for advertising.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe I should put in a good until canceled order to buy at $95 for the next weasel who manipulates the stock. Could have made a quick buck on that deal.

Good plan....unless the next negative report is actually true.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Sounds like someone was trying to make the stock drop so s/he could buy and make a quick buck. CNN should track down that user and Jobs should sue for libel.