Apple denies CNN iReport of Steve Jobs heart attack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Based on what I see - Apple denied he had a heart attack - I wonder if in fact he was rushed to the hospital? There is not a denial (at least on the web) that he was rushed to the hospital

reporter1: is it true the president is 70 feet tall?

spokesperson: no

reporter2: is it true the president is 60 feet tall?

spokesperson: no

reporter3: is it true the president is 50 feet tall?

spokesperson: no comment
  • Reply 42 of 69
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Reverse pump n' dump:

1 Release some phony news that drives the stock down,

2 buy buy buy,

3 wait for the "Hey, I am not dead!" interview to hit CNBC

4 Sell sell sell for big fat one-to-two day profit

follow the money my friends
  • Reply 43 of 69
    The only heart attack: the asphalt under Steve's Mercedes. CNN iLiars fall back please.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

Just look at AAPL's volume in the first half hour over 30 Million Shares Traded!

This was pure Manipulation someone had a Massive Short Position!

Average Volume is round 32 million for a day!

Probably many people set automatic sell when the stock reach $100 or less to cut their losses. Once that happened many people panicked and started selling too thinking it is another free fall due to analyst downgrades.
  • Reply 45 of 69
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

1. Racism. When sexual harassment appeared in the news, they made the ill-founded charges against Clarence Thomas the backstory.

Except that the charges against Thomas were not ill-founded. The Republicans were in control of the Senate, and they suckered Democrats into a deal where Anita Hill would be the only woman allowed to testify about sexual harassment by Thomas. There were at least two or three other women who were ready to testify. That would have changed the outcome - if there's only one accuser, it's easy to demonize her. Harder if there are more.

"3. Gulf war on the scene. CNN reporters in Bagdad at the start of the Gulf War were so eager to appease Saddam that it was nauseating."

You can't be serious. While the Pentagon was restricting reporters and lying to them, there were only a few who were able to get out and try to find out what was really going on. Remember the whoe staged tearing down of the Saddam statue? Torn down by American soldiers, but made to look like it was a spontaneous Iraqi demonstration.

Of course, those stories never made it to right-wing cheerleaders Fox, so you probably never saw them.
  • Reply 46 of 69
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    If Steve Jobs suffers from a cancer recurrence, the report of a heart attack makes a lot of sense.

My own 69 year old father suffered from cancer and looked much like Steve Jobs at age 53. My father died of a heart attack.

The problem with Steve Jobs' health are many fold:

1- Steve Jobs refused a first cancer surgery for 9 months;

2- Steve Jobs and the Apple board of directors kept secret both Steve Jobs' cancer and his decision to refuse treatment for 9 months;

3- Steve Jobs had a second cancer surgery in 2008;

4- Steve Jobs and the Apple board of directors kept secret the second cancer surgery;

5- Steve Jobs has the physical appearance of a cancer patient with only a few months to live;

6- Steve Jobs could very well have suffered from serious chest pain than didn't evolve in a major heart attack, thanks to early intervention with modern medications in the first 2 hours;

7- Steve Jobs and the Apple board of directors keep secret any heart attack or chest pain suffered by Steve Jobs.

Unless the Apple board of directors issues an official press release to address in a comprehensive manner Steve Jobs' health and the rumored chest pain, heart attack and hospital emergency room visit, worried investors should act as if Apple is deliberately attempting to hide from them information that they know will affect the value of Apple's stock.

The Securities and Exchange Commission should open an investigation on the matter to determine if material information is being kept from investors.

Finally, only an irresponsible company would hide the true health condition of its chief executive officer. Unless we see an official press statement today, or over the weekend before the markets reopen on Monday morning, we should all assume the worst for Apple in the coming days.

• Reply 47 of 69
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

In today's time, I don't believe anything without a grainy cell phone photo, especially from those "citizen journalists".

Everyone has a phone. Even the cheapo phone has a camera. If anything happened anywhere about anybody, there will be photos.

Preferably video- but not with the iPhone!
  • Reply 48 of 69
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

from ALL news reporting entities. They should all be made to triple verify ALL sources for credibility and proof before publishing.

Apple Insider would be kind of empty if that was the law.
  • Reply 49 of 69
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

CNN lost credibility eons ago. CNN = 24 hour rubbish.

All televised news is junk at this point but the cable news channels (and their website) are really disgusting. I haven't watched television news since 2004. I was so disgusted with the way the claims of the Swift Boat Veterans were constantly put on the air despite the fact that they had no credibility and were tied to Republican political groups. I don't care which way you swing politically, turning elections into a circus with tabloid stories to increase viewer numbers and therefore make your advertisers happy is sickening. I get my info now from non-advertising-dominated news outlets which means primarily print and non-American outlets.
  • Reply 50 of 69
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I'm very much in favor of "iReporters." I think they complement and amplify the otherwise isolated corporate news stream. But this stupid, irresponsible report is proof of the excesses that are possible when you let "just anybody" submit reports.

The point is, first news organizations wanted no feedback, and then they realized their forums and so on were actually a valuable resource; and they can't be everywhere, so they want people to submit their videos of disasters, etc. It's a great asset to have. For instance, there were the debates on CNN where the questions came from the audience, web site visitors and so on.

But the problem is this: just as cable news has become a place where rumors are discussed and sometimes accepted as fact, so have the iReporters. The networks want to have the asset of pariticipation, but they don't want to pay them when they break a story, and they don't want to spare a real layer of editorial supervision so that irresponsible, unverified reports cannot be spread. If they don't supervise the iReporters, then they lose credibility in the long run. They're just pandering.

Pay iReporters if you want to reuse their story or their tape. But submit them to the same standards of truth as you should (and often don't) subject your regular reporters.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

You mean all the AMERICAN ones, right?

CBC and BBC have really good 24 hr news channels. Not just better international coverage, but better coverage of news in the US too. Actual news too, not "what's Brittney doing today?"

Quite true. BBC does a fantastic job at REAL journalism, no matter what

country you live in. I often recommend that people delete their cnn.com

bookmark and point to BBC.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    I smell scandal. Someone needs to check whether this guy bought into AAPL stocks when it dropped 10 points.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

If Steve Jobs suffers from a cancer recurrence, the report of a heart attack makes a lot of sense.

6- Steve Jobs could very well have suffered from serious chest pain than didn't evolve in a major heart attack, thanks to early intervention with modern medications in the first 2 hours;

7- Steve Jobs and the Apple board of directors keep secret any heart attack or chest pain suffered by Steve Jobs.

Unless the Apple board of directors issues an official press release to address in a comprehensive manner Steve Jobs' health and the rumored chest pain, heart attack and hospital emergency room visit, worried investors should act as if Apple is deliberately attempting to hide from them information that they know will affect the value of Apple's stock.

:

So you're saying that, unless you are allowed to snoop through every single health record that Jobs possesses, you're entitled to spread crap around that you don't know is true? You're a disgusting creep. Ever heard of the right to privacy? Aside from a general statement about the state of the CEO's health, a corporation owes you no such thing. You can make the case that a presidential candidate like John McCain, who's had four occurrences of melanoma, should release all his records for inspection, but that's for president of the United States. Jobs is the head of Apple. He's done an epic job of lifting Apple up since he came back. He will not live forever. But until he does, he has every right to keep his health situation to himself and to his Board of Directors. Rumor-mongers like yourself are, frankly, beneath contempt.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    LOl I just saw stock for $99.99. This could be the best deal ever. BUY TODAY! TODAY ONLY. FOR ONLY $99.99+shipping and handling.

LOL
  • Reply 55 of 69
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I'd encourage you to do the same.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
  • Reply 56 of 69
    First off, a 10 point drop is not a freefall. AI, please use better editorial judgment and less inflammatory weasely wording!

Second, CNN better watch out. What if AAPL shareholders formed a class action lawsuit for damages because the site is affiliated with CNN, and causes news-like, material effects on AAPL stock prices? iReport may not call itself professional journalism, hiding under the protection of blogging, stories, and opinion, but in that way, it better not play with the potential confusion.

The iReport site may evidence the poor judgment of CNN as a news source to begin with (not to say they create the content of iReport, but the whole iReport site perhaps says a lot about their judgment in journalism on the professional CNN site).
  • Reply 57 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

How many times do people have to be so ridiculous in thinking that Apple does not have a clear plan for the time that Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple Inc. is out of the company?

Where do you people get the idea that there is not a clear, solid plan in place?

So many people revere Steve Jobs as a genius, and yet think that he is so stupid as to build up "his" company the way he has, and not have a plan for when he passes away or retires?

Are you all crazy?

If you look back at history, you might realize that it probably won't matter much whether they have a succession plan in place or not.

Juan Trippe, who built Pan American Airways, groomed Harold Gray to be his successor. 2 months after assuming the office, Gray came down with cancer and surrendered his duties. The next executive in line (this was what you call a comprehensive succession plan) was Najib Halaby (Trippe's son-in-law, if memory serves), who was shortly dismissed for his "aggressive" and "impulsive" behavior. The third successor made a go of it for a while, but shortly after Trippe died (he was still attending Board meetings until then) Pan Am ended up being bought out.

We need look no further than Apple's own corporate management history between Steve's tenures to see that Steve's hand-picked management "pro," John Sculley, screwed Steve and then the company. Even with the best of intentions on everyone's part, what should we expect of the next executive that Steve or his board "grooms" or "hand-picks" to be the next CEO?

Disney, under Walt's immediate successors, floundered for nearly two decades. For all his faults, Mike Eisner brought a passion and business savvy to Disney when he (as an outsider) took over, and he made it great again. Sadly, he has since lost those merits and, consequentially, his leadership of that company.

What Apple will need when Steve ultimate vacates the office is someone who has the same passion and savvy and love of life and Apple that Steve does. That person may not even be in Apple right now, and we product owners and shareholders may (once again) be in for rough seas before that person eventually takes the helm. But when he or she does arrive, you'll know it when you see them. They'll have a wry smile born of vision, understanding, and a belief in the corporate mission, and at least a little bit of gray hair stemming from survival of trying times. Jamie Dimon has those attributes, and he's making JP Morgan Chase work again. Hopefully there will be someone else like Jamie around and ready when the time ultimately comes.

Until then, though, may Steve live long and prosper!

"Buying a house and buying a house on fire are two different things." -- Jamie Dimon
  • Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOl I just saw stock for $99.99. This could be the best deal ever. BUY TODAY! TODAY ONLY. FOR ONLY $99.99+shipping and handling.

LOL

Give it about another week at this pace and you will be able to buy at 49.99 with free shipping and handling.

If I was SJ I would have had a heart attack by now looking a the stock price.
  • Reply 59 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randomthot View Post

First off, a 10 point drop is not a freefall. AI, please use better editorial judgment and less inflammatory weasely wording!

Second, CNN better watch out. What if AAPL shareholders formed a class action lawsuit for damages because the site is affiliated with CNN, and causes news-like, material effects on AAPL stock prices? iReport may not call itself professional journalism, hiding under the protection of blogging, stories, and opinion, but in that way, it better not play with the potential confusion.

The iReport site may evidence the poor judgment of CNN as a news source to begin with (not to say they create the content of iReport, but the whole iReport site perhaps says a lot about their judgment in journalism on the professional CNN site).

True 10 points is not a freefall but you have to wonder if he was shooting for more. I was questioning his motive more than his success (assuming I'm correct on motive).
  • Reply 60 of 69
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    This is a perfect example of why the entire idea of "citizen journalist" is a very, very bad idea. Any damn fool can post whatever rubbish they want under the guise of "journalism". Most professional journalists go to school for years to learn about concepts such ethics and verifying sources.

When I see "citizen journalist" crap, and most of it is, I simply ignore it. CNN should have done the same, and shame of them for be sucked into believing such puerile rumors.