Apple releases iTunes 8.0.1 to address HDTV episode bug

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday night released iTunes 8.0.1 to fix several important issues with HDTV episodes, Genius playlists, and accessibility.

The 58.5MB download, available through Software Update, primarily addresses a flaw in iTunes TV episode downloads which would inadvertently overwrite the HD versions of shows with the additional standard-definition copy meant for transfer to iPhones and iPods.

It also mends problems with the new Genius auto-playlist feature, including maintaining seamless playback while starting a new Genius playlist from a given track. Syncing these playlists with iPods has also been improved.

Other updates include better update checks for software updates through the App Store, syncing spoken menus to fourth-generation iPod nanos and better accessibility through VoiceOver in Mac OS X.

Performance and stability have also reportedly been improved with the update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well I've had Genius playlist syncing issues with my iPhone. It will only sync two of them, and any more Genius playlists sync as regular old "Joe six-pack" playlists. I hope this fixes that.

Another "issue" I have that is not fixed, just checked; when I'm syncing my new nano, iTunes displays the "iPod Sync is Complete" status message before the nano is finished. It takes a further 13 or so seconds until the nano can be unplugged. iTunes should reflect this and wait for the Ok from the nano to display the "iPod Sync is Complete" message. If it's not actually really complete, it shouldn't say it is.

The Genius playlist syncing bug is not fixed. Oh Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Dont bother... as of 12:35am EST... the installer package is errored.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

.................................................. .................................................. ........

..................................FOLLOW UP AND SOLUTION..................................

.................................................. .................................................. ........

Remove Quicktime from Control Panel 'add/remove software'

Click on the iTunes installer (latest version 8.0.1 or whatever it is)

I still got the message 'problem with this windows installer package' but then it continued to install iTunes!

****As a side note, I have noticed this issue on previous installs with iTunes but they always continued to install without removing Quicktime. 8.1.11 is the first iTunes version that refused to install with the error. Simple solution remove Quicktime install iTunes 8.1.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    The update returns the iPod Touch syncing issue from the original upgrade to v8... I think I'm getting a different number for the error though - Error 13014. The fix from the first time - quit iTunes, completely turn off the iPod, then dock it - does NOT work this time. Any word on this?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Apple TV update released too!

You can d/l HD episodes.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    It also adds another option when you click on a movie to rent or buy marked with an ellipsis icon (...) labeled "more" that takes you to Summary, Add to Wish List, and then gives actors, directors, producers, and screenwriters that are all actionable. When you select them they dynamically change to give you more information. Hovering over the names credited will link you to other films they have done that iTunes has to offer. Sadly, this doesn't appear to be functional for TV shows, yet...

At least Apple hasn't completely forgotten about tv even if it is just a hobby. Now give me day and date released with DVD and 1080p downloads a la vudu and I would consider this a prime time product, right now it's a Saturday matinee.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Another "issue" I have that is not fixed, just checked; when I'm syncing my new nano, iTunes displays the "iPod Sync is Complete" status message before the nano is finished. It takes a further 13 or so seconds until the nano can be unplugged. iTunes should reflect this and wait for the Ok from the nano to display the "iPod Sync is Complete" message. If it's not actually really complete, it shouldn't say it is.

don't think thats really an issue, are we talking about the same thing? my ipod classic shows a progress bar filling, and then says ok, but you can unplug it at any time once the progress bar appears.

I think the "OK" is just that the ipod is ready to use, if iTunes says its ok to remove, then iTunes is done, I'm not sure what the iPod is up to, but its probably a "file check" or "health check" or some such.

unplugging makes no difference, because iTunes is finished with it
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Anyone know if this update fixes the problem of Airtunes stuttering?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

The update returns the iPod Touch syncing issue from the original upgrade to v8... I think I'm getting a different number for the error though - Error 13014. The fix from the first time - quit iTunes, completely turn off the iPod, then dock it - does NOT work this time. Any word on this?

I downloaded 8.0.1 last night and now my iPhone won't sync. Anyone else having that problem?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    But is it snappier?

• Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metskibum View Post

I'm not aware of the specific problem you are talking about... but I figured I'd mention: I've been using AirTunes for ages, and the only time it stutters or drops out is when I or my next door neighbor run our microwaves. 802.11a/b/g/n (at least part of the n-spec) are in the same frequency range as microwaves. Other things that might interfere are other people's wifi networks, cordless phones, police radios, etc..
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Metskibum View Post

I heard the stuttering was a product of the airport express getting hot. Easily fixed by unplugging the device and plugging it back in. This, however, is only an issue with older airports.

This works for me and I've ordered a new on so we'll see if that works.

flick.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    iTunes 8.0 allowed you to select the 5.1 surround soundtrack of an HDTV show but you only got silence, even if you have hardware that delivers 5.1 surround from DVD Player. They don't mention this in the 8.0.1 release notes.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

don't think thats really an issue, are we talking about the same thing? my ipod classic shows a progress bar filling, and then says ok, but you can unplug it at any time once the progress bar appears.

No, before the progress bar appears on the iPod, there's the large spinning sync arrows "iPod Syncing. Do not disconnect". And this is after iTunes has said "iPod Sync is Complete".

This should not be so. They are not correctly in-sync; as it were.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    snewtsnewt Posts: 1member
    In v8 of iTunes, if you shrank your iTunes player via the green (Plus) button and then tried to expand it again it would expand behind the current application.

In v8.01 it now first makes iTunes the front application, and then you click the green again to bring it into full size as the front application.

Two clicks instead of one, but with desired result.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cima113 View Post

Dont bother... as of 12:35am EST... the installer package is errored.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

..................................FOLLOW UP AND SOLUTION..................................

Remove Quicktime from Control Panel 'add/remove software'

Click on the iTunes installer (latest version 8.0.1 or whatever it is)

I still got the message 'problem with this windows installer package' but then it continued to install iTunes!

****As a side note, I have noticed this issue on previous installs with iTunes but they always continued to install without removing Quicktime. 8.1.11 is the first iTunes version that refused to install with the error. Simple solution remove Quicktime install iTunes 8.1.