Multi-touch Tablet Speculation - Putting the puzzle pieces together.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here are my thoughts on the rumored 'tablet' multi-touch device.

Part 1: Software Clues

\tAs a OS X user/developer/administrator since 10.0 (I remember running Developer Preview 3) it has been very fascinating to see OS X mature into what it is today. It now is loaded with features friendly to consumers, follows in the spirt of NeXTSTEP object oriented programming techniques with Cocoa and Cocoa Touch, and runs across multiple instructions sets and microprocessor architectures (x86: 32 & 64bit, PPC: 32 and 64 bit, ARMv6). OS X is a flexible beast that will soon undergo a change in 'focus' with Snow Leopard.

\tApple claims that, "Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space." Significant under-the-hood changes will take place with the multiple upgrades, here the upgrades known for sure from the official Snow Leopard Preview site:

* Grand Central (easier multi-core programming and better core utilization)

* OpenCL (the ability to use the GPU as a coprocessor for specialized non-graphical tasks)

? Better 64bit support (up to 16TB of RAM, 64bit Cocoa)

* A major QuickTime revision that uses ".. media technology pioneered in OS X iPhone, Snow Leopard introduces QuickTime X, a streamlined, next-generation platform that advances modern media and Internet standards. QuickTime X features optimized support for modern codecs and more efficient media playback, making it ideal for any application that needs to play media content."

? Exchange Support built into Mail, Address Book, and iCal.

Other features "spotted" since WWDC in Snow Leopard developer builds:

? Significantly smaller application package sizes

? Multi-touch framework (currently used to support Air/Pro Multi-touch trackpads)

? Auto Activation features (fonts found with spotlight and activated)

? Text processing features like auto correction, smart dash insertion, and text replacement features (typing TM and getting ?)

? ZFS Support for multiple hard drives

? Significant Safari JavaScript speedup with SproutCore, self contained web apps

? LLVM compiler tools aimed to provide fast compiling with low memory use, expressive diagnostics, a modular library-based architecture, and tight integration within Xcode. Just In Time compilation, cross-file optimization (link together code from different languages and optimize across file boundaries), modular compiler architecture (for creating components that have few dependencies).

? Improved printing with CUPS

Part 2: What kind of hardware would these new features compliment?

\tSo... why have I been discussing this in the future hardware forum? Well we know Apple Inc is a hardware company, and is special because it uses it's software expertise to built a 'total' solution all in one product. Well then, what would all of these new OS features be used for? Of course older machines will benefit from a more resource friendly OS, but Apple wants you to buy new hardware of-course. I believe that Snow Leopard will be the first OS to run on a new class of computer. Combine the best features of current portable computing devices; the Netbook (desktop class OS, cheap, wireless networking) with the iPhone (Multi-touch interface, GPS, Accelerometers, UI Animation). Imagine a 7" to 9" screen, on an oversized iPhone body no thicker than the MacBook Air, with the following features:

Hardware:

? Dual or Quad Core custom ARMv7 based processor designed by PA Semi (Much more energy efficient than Atom, faster, with low power chipset)

? PowerVR integrated SGX VXD class graphics (OpenGL 2, 3D Shader Engine)

? Hardware video codec acceleration, h.264 1080p HD output support

? A high resolution 720p HD screen 1280x720 (similar dpi as iPhone screen)

? 1 or 2 GB RAM configurations (not upgradeable)

? 16, 32, and 64GB flash storage configurations with 4GB (BTO option: 16GB) SSD for OS, frequently used programs, and cache

? Multi-touch compatibility with pen compatibility for Inkwell handwriting

? Front facing iSight webcam for iChat

? 1 USB 2.0 Port, Audio Out (In with adaptor) , Micro-DVI Out, Custom Dock Connector

? Mini MagSafe power adaptor with Mini MagSafe to USB charging adaptor

? 802.11b/g/n wireless, bluetooth, optional 3G adaptor (or iPhone tethering capability)

? x, y, z axis accelerometers for tilt control / orientation detection

? GPS Location services

? Vibration feedback

? Able to be docked into a iMac like docking station for charging and desktop use.

? Ability to run on battery for over 8 hours while browsing the web over a wireless connection. 10 Hours of HD video playback. 18 Hours light use.

Software:

Customized full version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard for Multi-touch devices.

? Modified Finder with a hybrid iPhone like interface cues for multi-touch compatibility.

? Applications loaded traditionally by the user or from the App Store.

? Cocoa Applications preferred; Java and other languages allowed. No carbon support.

? Able to run iPhone apps in the dashboard or as stand alone apps (like the old desktop accessory concept) .

? Can tether with iPhone to share 3G internet (may cost extra with cell phone carrier), pictures, calendars, files, stream music and movies between devices.

? Customized Safari build with multi-touch gesture support, magnification, pinch/double tap zoom. Can create iPhone like Web App programs, plug-in support.

? Customized iTunes software for smaller screen and multi-touch.

? A new program similar to Preview for reading books, PDFs, comics, newspapers, and subscription websites via App Store distribution.

? Full version of Quicktime X able to use acceleration hardware. Optimized for mobility, performance, and HD video.

? ZFS support to allow the SSD and flash storage to be combined in one volume, auto-allocation of OS and frequently used files to SSD.

? Entire OS X install to use less than 1GB of storage.

? Text Processing features and Auto Activation used to make multi-touch virtual keyboard more usable. Enhances Inkwell accuracy also.

? Location services used to detect settings to use (such as default printer, network configuration, etc).

? Grand Central used to optimize performance of applications and also help to save energy by scaling core clock speeds or turning off a cores.

? Full multi-touch versions of iCal, Mail, iChat, Address Book, Font Book, Image Capture, iSync, Safari, Quicktime, Spaces, Expose, TextEdit, and the usual utilities (Terminal, Disk Utility, Network Utility, etc).

? iLife 2009 with multi-touch included

? iWork 2009 with multi-touch included

Part 3: Price and Configurations

Market: Consumers, Students, highly mobile business professionals. For those who want all of there information accessible on-the-go.

The price will be competitive, aimed at the high-end of the netbook market segment. There will be a typical Apple premium on RAM and flash memory as it will not be upgradeable.

$699 for 16GB Flash version with 1GB RAM (plus 4GB SSD)

$799 for 32GB Flash version with 2GB RAM (plus 4GB SSD)

$899 for 64GB Flash version with 2GB RAM (plus 4GB SSD)

+Upgrade the SSD to a 16GB for an extra $200 on the 64GB model as an option.

---

Conclusion:

`I haven't posted anything in a while and don't have inside information, but I really think that Apple will come out with something like this. Multiple computing devices, able to work together on a network or the internet, running the same core OS across architectures will be very interesting. I have heard the code name Brick used to refer to a tablet like device through the rumors mills and the evidence that something big will be released is their. I think that looking into the development of Snow Leopard will be the best crystal ball as to what Apple's real plans are. I think that this kind of product will be announced at MacWorld S.F. in January along with the Snow Leopard release date and hidden features. What do you think? Will something like this be made?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacman287 View Post

$1099 for 64GB Flash version with 2GB RAM (plus 16GB SSD)

Make it a 10" screen (so the entire unit is the size of a regular steno pad, just thicker…) and I'll take it…

But only if it can tether with my iPhone nano…!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think you're on to it.

Now do you know the exact time, date and place of availability?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by squareback View Post

I think you're on to it.

Now do you know the exact time, date and place of availability?

Well I really wish I did know.

If I was a betting man, I would place my bet on it being announced at the MacWorld Expo in January 2009 (Only event other than WWDC that something of this magnitude could be released at if Apple is up to it's usual bag of tricks). Also, I bet the finalized feature set of Snow Leopard will be announced during the same event before the new device is released. Snow Leopard will ship this spring of 2009 as scheduled, and the traditional OS X release day in spring is March 24th (a little on the early side of things too). Maybe the release will tie in with the 8th birthday of OS X. If tablet like device is real it will be no later than WWDC (June/July 2009). I also predict that when the device is released the iPhone/iPod Touch will receive a major update (Firmware 3.0) so that the devices can be paired together. The device will not be released before Snow Leopard though I don't think, I can almost guarantee it, as it will rely on Snow Leopard Technologies immensely.

All we can do is wait and see...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    I don't think it'll happen. I'm typing this from an iPod Touch and it seems to perform as a mobile tablet just fine. The main difference, of course, is that it's no Cintiq. The product you describe would really seem out of place, IMHO.

Plus, I don't think builds of OS X are a good indicator of future hardware. Remember handwriting recognition back in 10.3 or something? We all thought a tablet was coming then. :/
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So basically this then?

<----------------------- Swipe-able dock(s) ---------------------->

The screen should be around 10", possibly 11", and it should come in 32GB and 64GB varieties.

And like I've been saying since, like, forever; this tablet should have a pop-out rest on its rear, so it can be used on any flat surface - just like a laptop (notebook). When resting on this "rest" on a flat surface it would be tilted at just the right angle as to provide the perfect compromise between typing and consuming content.

A truly clever move, besides the swipe-able docks, might be to have the leftmost dock icon as the "Finder" icon (always), and the rightmost dock icon as the "Settings" icon (always) - no matter what dock the user is currently viewing. Swiping left or right to view other docks would magically keep the Finder icon on the left, and the Settings icon on the right.

Permanent Finder and Settings icon locations highlighted with red rings below:

Touching the Spotlight icon would bring up the keyboard and drop down a search box.

Touching the Apple logo would provide various system options like Sleep and Off.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think your all high on Mac fanboy.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

I don't think it'll happen. I'm typing this from an iPod Touch and it seems to perform as a mobile tablet just fine. The main difference, of course, is that it's no Cintiq. The product you describe would really seem out of place, IMHO.

Plus, I don't think builds of OS X are a good indicator of future hardware. Remember handwriting recognition back in 10.3 or something? We all thought a tablet was coming then. :/

Why must most folks insist that the iPhone/iPod Touch is 'enough' of a mobile tablet?

For many, it is just too small. Too small for large hands, too small for old eyes

And I really don't see running iWork on an iPhone as a viable option anytime soon. Playing back a Keynote presentation, sure? But creating that Keynote presentation, no?

iWork is just one example. Another would be using a tablet as a remote control for Logic in a live sound reinforcement application. Nothing like getting out in the room and being able to make changes to the mix on the fly. eBooks would be another great app for a larger tablet. Yeah, this can be done on an iPhone, but again, there is the size issue?

The killer app for a larger Apple tablet? The educational market. Imagine replacing every textbook carried by students (elementary through graduate school) with a single tablet?

Awesome?

I could go on, but for those naysayers to an Apple tablet any larger than the iPhone, I would be wasting my breath. And to address the handwriting recognition back in OS X v10.3, I believe the article about the development of the iPhone outlines that it had been in the works for a good number of years, growing out of a larger tablet project (yet to see the light of day by public eyes).

In short, give it up. Apple IS going to put out a larger tablet in the future. The only real question now is when?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

In short, give it up. Apple IS going to put out a larger tablet in the future. The only real question now is when?

I believe that. Maybe 2011? At the earliest. They just started putting in multitouch trackpads.

And I don't have to give anything up. I've got my iTouch already! It makes a good remote for all kinds of stuff. A 10" tablet remote for any device just sounds silly.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

A 10" tablet remote for any device just sounds silly.

Not for a remote console while running sound at a live event.

Not for running home automation scripts & changing channels on the tv from the couch, all while surfing the web & checking email.

Bigger is better!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

I believe that. Maybe 2011? At the earliest. They just started putting in multitouch trackpads.

And I don't have to give anything up. I've got my iTouch already! It makes a good remote for all kinds of stuff. A 10" tablet remote for any device just sounds silly.

Umm....perhaps a bit sooner than 2011.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Next Apple moves will be Books and Games?

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...oks-and-games/

AMAZING!