NVIDIA allegedly showing new MacBooks to staff

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new rumor claims that Apple's long-rumored new MacBooks are making the rounds among NVIDIA's workers as evidence of its hardware prowess, and adds that the public itself might not have to wait much longer for its own turn.

Earlier this year, AppleInsider heard from sources that claimed at least some of Apple's next Mac refreshes would feature non-reference internals which, except for the main processor, would shed much of Intel's factory-standard platform for a more unique foundation supplied by either Apple or an outside party.

A technology journalist, later cited by AppleInsider, suggested that any possible switch on Apple's part would likely be to a new NVIDIA chipset for Intel-based notebooks that would give Apple all the features of Intel's mainboards but much faster video acceleration and more advanced power management.

This weekend, TUAW is reviving the rumor and speculation by citing "various sources" who say that NVIDIA is not only involved in the making of new MacBooks but is actively showcasing models to its staff as an example of the company's technical achievements held inside.

The site also lends minor support to rumors of an expected release date by suggesting that the new portables could be released "as soon as" October 14th. Those who first broke word of a more specialized platform to AppleInsider in late July estimated that it would take at least six to eight more weeks from that time to the eventual release of the updated MacBooks, leading to an October introduction. Daring Fireball's John Gruber has also echoed these assertions by claiming to have sources who also point to October 14th as a prime candidate for the long-awaited introductions.

As is often the case in such circumstances, however, TUAW immediately hedges its bets by warning that it's entirely possible its sources are flawed and that Apple may release either a different update or else miss the 14th altogether.

No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    jruijrui Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims that Apple's long-rumored new MacBooks are making the rounds among NVIDIA's workers as evidence of its hardware prowess, and adds that the public itself might not have to wait much longer for its own turn.

No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.

Great Post!

• Reply 2 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think Apple should sell the 13" in 9 colors, just like the new nanos. And allow the 15" and 17" models to be configured from basic to superpower. The 13" would also be aluminum, just like the nanos, and would have a white keyboard, unlike the 15" and 17" models, with their black backlit-keyboards.

For the record; if the 15" and 17" models do not have the Air-style keyboards and magnetic latches I'll be highly disappointed!
  • Reply 3 of 130
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Sweet, Nvidia powered chipsets, this could me a proper dedicated GPU in future MacBooks , not like I care of considering im already running MBP, but still, a very good upgrade, I wonder how about the future MBPs?
  • Reply 4 of 130
    I cannot believe that if this thing is really getting passed around why someone didn't sneak some pic's, via their iphone, & post them somewhere.. Someone is missing their 15 mins. of fame..
  • Reply 5 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I cannot believe that if this thing is really getting passed around why someone didn't sneak some pic's, via their iphone, & post them somewhere.. Someone is missing their 15 mins. of fame..

This is either untrue or an orchestrated leak.

Personally I think it's untrue, and we won't see any new MacBooks until Macworld.
  • Reply 6 of 130
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Personally I think it's untrue, and we won't see any new MacBooks until Macworld.

iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I just hope there's a sub-$1000 MacBook in the mix. HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc are worried that Apple may move into the upper reaches of that space, and I think Apple should give them reason to worry.

Also, the economy is going in the dumpster in many different ways simultaneously right now, so having a lower-priced product out there would be smart.

Before anyone says it, no, I'm not advocating Apple get into the low-end. But something like an $799-999 MacBook would absolutely kill right now.

• Reply 8 of 130
    pb pmpb pm Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Sweet, Nvidia powered chipsets, this could me a proper dedicated GPU in future MacBooks , not like I care of considering im already running MBP, but still, a very good upgrade, I wonder how about the future MBPs?

Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For the record; if the 15" and 17" models do not have the Air-style keyboards and magnetic latches I'll be highly disappointed!

If any of the new 'Books have a two-tone black keyboard and silver finish (like the MacBook Air), I'll be highly disappointed.

It's bad enough doing away with that sweet MBP's scalloped keyboard, but mixed colour schemes look so cheap IMHO. It's like a low end car with plastic door handles and mirrors.
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Yes, they have been upgraded, so we will see a small refresh which will include LED Backlit and Lit Up Keaboard. The Pros may get Blu-ray. As well as upgraded processors and HDD. (Especially needed for the Air)

I still think no huge updates until Macworld.

Thats why i confidently just got my MacBook... watch and see its just processor upgrades. Well that and I need a new computer now Not 2 weeks from now...
  • Reply 11 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It sounds like the new Mac Books are really going to rock!

One thing tough people have implied that this will be a dedicated GPU but frankly I don't see that as the case. This will still be an integrated GPU just a far better performer. Honestly I wonder if the GPU will have dedicated memory.

Of course we also have to hope that the chip doesn't have any of NVIDIAs current issues.

The thing is for my usage the video platform doesn't mean much. I'm really hoping Apple leads the way in much higher capacity storage. I'd like to see both. SSD and a conventional disk. Ideally a half terabyte of data storage.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 130
    I've been waiting a long time for this, because I desparately want to replace my Sony tower PC, now eight years old, with a new Macbook.

However, if they do not come out with a new version of the OS that addresses the very real problem with the size of the system fonts, I will not buy one until they fix that.

A present, the size of the system fonts, i.e., the fonts used for everything that is not readily controllable by the individual application, is fixed by the physical resolution of the display. Unless you are willing to set the effective resolution to something other than the native resolution, which has numerous undesirable consequences, then system fonts become smaller as the physical resolution of the display becomes greater. This is a ludicrous situation, that Apple should have fixed at the time that they switched to the Unix-based operating system. Until they fix this, one consequence of choosing a higher quality display with greater quantity of pixels and finer resolution, is that system fonts become correspondingly smaller. This is ludicrous, and Apple absolutely must fix this in the next major release of the OS, which hopefully will be concurrent with the new Macbooks.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Sounds like good news.

Graphics aren't too important in a laptop, and I don't really understand people who want fantastical GFX cards in a MacBook, but something a bit more capable than the GMA would be welcome. Hopefully then by this story they will incorporate some NVIDIA chip at least.

I guess the reality is that Apple has hit the nail on the head with the MacBook; it's a fantastic laptop -- a true workhorse. And they haven't really needed to update them as they have been selling well as is; but hopefully we will get aluminium cases in this next refresh.

But other than that, my MacBook is nearly 2 years old and still runs as good, if not better, than modern laptops being released today, so with the next refresh it just looks like more of the same...only better!
  • Reply 14 of 130
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

A present, the size of the system fonts, i.e., the fonts used for everything that is not readily controllable by the individual application, is fixed by the physical resolution of the display.

Perhaps you should try zooming. Option command 8 turns on the feature. Option command = zooms in what's on screen. Option command - zooms it back out.

Personally, my eyesight isn't so great but I have no trouble reading text on my MacBook. Resolution independence would be a nice feature though.
  • Reply 16 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.

False.

I was under the impression that PA Semi would be focusing on the iPod/iPhone, not the macs.
  • Reply 17 of 130
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Yes, they have been upgraded, so we will see a small refresh which will include LED Backlit and Lit Up Keaboard. The Pros may get Blu-ray. As well as upgraded processors and HDD. (Especially needed for the Air)

I still think no huge updates until Macworld.

Thats why i confidently just got my MacBook... watch and see its just processor upgrades. Well that and I need a new computer now Not 2 weeks from now...

I disagree.

A new form factor is absolutely the next upgrade. Whether it happens in October or in January 09, is unknown. But it would be sales suicide to have another round of simply processor upgrades without a new design.
  • Reply 18 of 130
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

False.

+1

I'm highly dubious about the Nvidia rumor and believe the chipset will be a PA modded Intel. I expect new models and case designs this month with an announcement at Macworld of a Nelaham refresh in Q2 2009.
  • Reply 19 of 130
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, MacBook Air with Firewire. Please. No Firewire, no purchase. Thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    What I do hope is that nVidia starts getting their crappy graphics drivers fixed :-/