Apple calls on lawyers in logo spat with Canadian school

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

wow.... umm yeah..... Apple actually does have a case here.

I was on the other side of the fence until you posted this pic.

Yikes.

I concur....after seeing this and its actual business....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Look Apple, their logo sucks, yours doesn't. No reason to get all excited.

I think the publicity surrounding this issue will eventually come back to Apple and they'll lay off.

They are legally obligated to defend their logo or they could lose it's exclusivity. It's not a big deal.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    On the other hand, they should just do what apple is asking and remove the apple, their logo would look much better if they did.

• Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SchalaZeal View Post

Highly ironic, and somewhat hypocritical on Apple's part, considering it was once on the receiving end of a similar claim from Apple Records/Apple Corps Ltd.

Hm.

Not really, considering Apple Corps complaint had nothing to do with the logo but more specifically the name and the breach of a contract.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Since ugly is what they're going for, they should just add one or two more leaves to that thing.

• Reply 26 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Interesting lesson in how easy it is to judge a case without knowing the facts - or in this case, the visuals. I would also have told Apple to lay off but when you see the other Apple in context the claim makes a lot more sense.

I am not sure anybody would confuse the two logos / companies, but there is definitely an Apple (inc) association thing happening when you see the photo of the store / office / whatever. The Adobe logo reinforces that impression. I am still not sure this is really a worthwhile case to waste time on but I guess it has to do with precedent. Now that they have been made aware they can't ignore.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leithal View Post

The school's apple logo did not fall far from the Apple Inc. tree.

The logo has similar colours, shape and styling.

My bet is that the school will lose this battle - which Apple is required to fight in order to defended their trademark. If they make exceptions - they can be stripped of the mark.

Both apple and this guy I quoted are ridiculous. Come on first of all the school doesn't threaten your company or provide any competition at all. Second the apple is completely different. The colors are different. The shape is different. The leaf is tilted different. The apple doesn't even have a bite out of it. We get it apple wants to protect their logo which is fine but The Curpentino based company does not own the apple. The apple is a fruit you cannot control all variations of an apple that is absurd. Apple you should be worrying about fixing your crappy products and all of their problems not worrying about the fact that the fruit came before the company.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Does anyone else see the similarity to the Adobe logo as well???

Hmmmmmmmm....... I agree, the apple logo conflict doesn't really get me, but when you see them both side by side, along with the Adobe logos on the windows.... hahaha....
  • Reply 29 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The logo itself, which was shown earlier, doesn't look that close.

But, as presented on the school, it does.

There are other problems as well with this.

The most important one is that with the Adobe logo there, and the schools business, along with the fact that it uses Macs, possibly exclusively, could be hinting (though not necessarily intentionally) that this school is either Apple supported, backed, or approved.

I can see, with that logo as large as it is, that people could come to that conclusion.

Since the overall shape is so close, on the building, many people won't notice that the "bite" isn't there.

Yes, this is too close. Apple must defend their logo.

Otherwise, others will choose logos that are even closer. If each is allowed to exist, at some point, Apple's own logo will lose its trademark status.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Both apple and this guy I quoted are ridiculous. Come on first of all the school doesn't threaten your company or provide any competition at all. Second the apple is completely different. The colors are different. The shape is different. The leaf is tilted different. The apple doesn't even have a bite out of it. We get it apple wants to protect their logo which is fine but The Curpentino based company does not own the apple. The apple is a fruit you cannot control all variations of an apple that is absurd. Apple you should be worrying about fixing your crappy products and all of their problems not worrying about the fact that the fruit came before the company.

You're wrong. You seem to have some emotional reason for having a tirade.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    After seeing that picture. It will be a slam dunk for Apple. They are clearly infringing on a brand that Apple created, nurtured, and matured over 30 years.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Looks pretty blatant to me.

Similar shape, one leaf on the same side, same color in the example, similar shading.

If it were a cooking school they could probably pull it off, but when they are a tech school and they have their logo next to an adobe logo, at a casual glance I can't imagine anyone not thinking of Apple computers.

If they had any taste they'd want to change it anyway, it's a cluttered mess. They don't really need an apple logo anyway, but if you do a quick search online you'll find a million school logos that include an apple that nobody would ever confuse with Apple, there are tons of design options and they happened to make choices that were the closest to THE most famous Apple logo in the world.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

wow.... umm yeah..... Apple actually does have a case here.

I was on the other side of the fence until you posted this pic.

Yikes.

Whether or not the shape and style of the logo is an infringement can be more subjective since an apple's shape is an apple's shape. But the photo sure looks as if the logo is being used for commercial purposes since it is connected visually with Adobe and the word Authorized is included. Yes, it does say training center, but Adobe has training seminars. This is too close to commercial use from what I can see if this is an example of the logos use. I don't know if this school is a private therefore a private school or a non-profit. That may or may not make a difference from the commercial aspect legally. I don't know.

Maybe, the school could rethink the way it is using their logo and not connect it with other commercial logos ( Adobe ) and just use it for their school with their formal title of "Victoria School of Business and Technology". This would mean that training center could be replaced with creativity classes using... Then use the Apple logo if allowed with the Adobe logo at the same time with their school promotions of literature or material displays in or on the outside of buildings.

I hope all of this is worked out without the courtroom and they just sit down and talk instead of automatically using lawyers.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Yep. Seeing it in context definitely makes it look like infringement. They should just remove the apple part and leave the rest and they'll be fine.

The school shouldn't get its knickers in a twist about it either. It has nothing to do with harrassing a school and Apple client. It's only about Apple defending its mark.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Yep. Seeing it in context definitely makes it look like infringement. They should just remove the apple part and leave the rest and they'll be fine.

The school shouldn't get its knickers in a twist about it either. It has nothing to do with harrassing a school and Apple client. It's only about Apple defending its mark.

I agree: it's all about the context. If this were a farming business or JUST a school (teacher's apple thing), then it's a stretch. But placing it in the surroundings of a computer business/school brings APPLE to most people's mind almost immediately...which is what a trademark is specifically designed to do.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    If this were a fruit company, it might not be so bad. But why is a technology/ computer training company using an apple in its logo, if it's not trying to tie itself to Apple Inc.? Please, no more of the "here's an innocent little company that big bad Apple is trying to flatten" statements.

Their explanation is pretty lame - that the apple is a symbol of education. Kind of a stretch, although in the Garden of Eden the apple was the symbol of knowledge. Maybe their logo should have a snake in it.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SchalaZeal View Post

Highly ironic, and somewhat hypocritical on Apple's part, considering it was once on the receiving end of a similar claim from Apple Records/Apple Corps Ltd. Hm.

You know, I was of the exact same opinion until I came back to post later in the day and have now seen the photo of how their logo is being used.

The VSBT logo, by itself and in colour, isn't overly similar to the Apple logo. However, VSBT's use of their logo in the window display is very easily confused with the Apple Computer logo.

First problem is VSBT drops their colour logo in favour of an all-white version. This looks remarkably like the stickers bundled in all Apple Computer products. Second, superimpose the logos of Microsoft Office and "Authorized Adobe Training Centre" across the main portion of the VSBT logo and it virtually obscures all that made their logo different from Apple's in the first place (save for the bump at the top of the Apple).

They are clearly trying to cause a blurring of the line between the two companies' logos and are now trying to be cute about it by whipping up an online David-and-Goliath scenario.

VSBT should change their Window display, agree not to engage in similar wink-wink, nudge-nudge marketing in the future and Apple should call off its attack-Lawyers. This is a bad news story for all concerned and their respective PR people should be telling management to hurry up and make this go away quietly...without ugly litigation. Apple doesn't do itself any good by suing a training institute and it doesn't help the school at all either.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Their explanation is pretty lame - that the apple is a symbol of education. Kind of a stretch, although in the Garden of Eden the apple was the symbol of knowledge.

It's not necessarily a stretch, and I've never thought of or heard of a possible Eden reference. I think it may be cultural, supposedly students gave an apple to their teacher on the first day of school. Someone trying to impress a teacher was called an apple polisher. But if it happened, it was from a time long gone now.

Quote:

Maybe their logo should have a snake in it.

It wouldn't be make a change, they already do have a zig-zag-ish shape there.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    The blue and green one, by itself, bears no resemblance to Apple Inc.

The whited-out one, showing only the top half, with Adobe and Microsoft logos slapped on, sure does. \
  • Reply 40 of 64
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Apple might be reaching a bit, but the blue and the single football shaped leaf look very similar.