New EU directive pushes toward replaceable iPhone batteries

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeystation View Post

I can't believe some of the reactions I read here, it's pretty sad to be honest.

The EU is trying to do some good for our planet by giving the industry some simple and really not so difficult rules. As you can read in the article they have done this before and with good result. The industry is forced to find new solutions and by doing this they might even improve quality.

Apple is proudly presenting itself as a 'green' company, which is a great development. Some people acually care for the enviroment and it even sells!

And for the people that are so scared of removable batteries in their iPod or iPhone... don't be, it's Apple, they will find a beautifull solution for the 'problem' and you might even be happy with this new feature. (the tiny Apple remote is perhaps a good example)

I see no evidence that this helps anything. What proof is there that people commonly recycle their used batteries. I seriously doubt they do. I would imagine a battery would more likely be recycled if it were changed by an authorized repair.
  • Reply 102 of 155
    I am FOR laws requiring A: Proper recycling of electronics and batteries, so B: we can keep junk and chemicals of out landfills. Do you know how many cell phones are discarded every year? And for little more than cosmetic or status reasons? Check out http://www.chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=7 for some huge scale images of discarded items, cell phones are about 1/3 of the way down. Now imagine all those in your back yard. In a landfill. Never to be used again, never to biodegrade.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    I think the EU has a very good point! It's not because they attack our favourite company that they are wrong. I know that a lot of people in the US don't care about the environment but they should. I don't want a hatch either but I expect Apple to do what they always do and that is think different.

I like my iPhone but what I don't like about it is that I don't know how long the battery will last. I like to charge my phone a lot so I have always a full battery but with the iPhone that isn't possible because it would screw up my battery.
  • Reply 104 of 155
    All they have to do is include a crummy battery in the iphone box that plugs into the bottom of the phone..

Then call the internal battery simply just a "back up battery". When the EU says you need a rechargable battery... tell them.. we included one in the box.. and you can buy replacements at our store for $50 each.

They sell these ugly littel battery adapters on other sites now... Sure you'll have europeans walking around with batterys plugged into the bottom of the phone... But better than designing an ugly phone specifically for that market... Just throw in spare plug in battery for that market.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Why don't they target more serious issues like how to recycle these damn electronics. Create a recylcling program to encourage Joe sixpack to bring his broken electronics to a recycling center. Give electronic stores some incentive to being a recycling drop-off location. In the US, we get credit for returning used car batteries to the auto parts store, why not do that for these toxic products.

And who the hell walks around with an extra battery in their pocket. What? The wallet and keys aren't enough to weigh your pants down?
  • Reply 106 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

I think the EU has a very good point! It's not because they attack our favourite company that they are wrong. I know that a lot of people in the US don't care about the environment but they should. I don't want a hatch either but I expect Apple to do what they always do and that is think different.

I like my iPhone but what I don't like about it is that I don't know how long the battery will last. I like to charge my phone a lot so I have always a full battery but with the iPhone that isn't possible because it would screw up my battery.

A user replaceable battery doesn't automatically help the environment. Most people get new phones long before the battery dies. If people did get a new battery, how many would recycle the old battery.

Apple has said the iPhone battery is designed to last for several years, before you would need a new battery.
  • Reply 107 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I see no evidence that this helps anything. What proof is there that people commonly recycle their used batteries. I seriously doubt they do. I would imagine a battery would more likely be recycled if it were changed by an authorized repair.

here you'll find some proof from the European Battery Recycling Association:

http://www.ebrarecycling.org/Article...06ebrastat.pdf
  • Reply 108 of 155
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    What a bunch of redundant crap.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/recycling

Seems like Apple already has it covered - and for more then just the battery too

I like the idea of a European iPhone that ditches the internal battery and instead sports one plugged into the dock connector. Would serve 'em right.

I, for one, appreciate the non-removable battery as it makes the iPhone that much slimmer, which means I can slip it into my pocket and not have to deal with a stupid holder like I do with my work provided blackberry

If and when I need to replace my battery, I will do it myself. Just like I did with my 2nd Generation iPod (not that the battery didn't work, I just wanted to put a newer, high capacity battery in it). There are many third party options for battery replacement and Apple has a very reasonably priced option (not much more then the cost of a replacement battery by itself) for those who don't or won't find the third party options.

My last three cell phones had removable batteries - the only time I removed them was to get the serial number for the phone
  • Reply 109 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeystation View Post

here you'll find some proof from the European Battery Recycling Association:

http://www.ebrarecycling.org/Article...06ebrastat.pdf

Unless I missed it I don't see the comparison. They only say how much material was recycled. Their is no indication of how much was recycled vs thrown in the trash.

Also no indication of an increase in recycling if batteries were user replaceable.

The bigger problem should be the entire phone being thrown into the trash and not only the battery.
  • Reply 110 of 155
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

I doubt it. Why would Apple engineers come up with something when to date no one else has? Apple does not make batteries. They buy them just like everyone else.

By this continued "Apple" is the inventor of all things wonderful, you would assume that we all sit and wait for manna to drop from Culpertino.

Who said anything about Apple manufacturing their own batteries?!

No one else has because it is cheaper to keep things the way they've always been than to come up with something that looks and feels good. When was the last time you've seen phone makers change their phones to make them easier to use? Other than Qwerty keyboards they did not improve or even try to improve their phones!

And yes Apple is the inventor of everything wonderful since they are the most innovative company in the world
  • Reply 111 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

My thoughts exactly. It is easier to throw a battery in the trash than to throw a phone. When I am done with my phone I usually sell it on ebay, give it to someone, or sell it to phone repair shops. On the other hand, a defective battery has no value and is easier, for most people, to dispose in the trash instead trying to recycle it.
  • Reply 112 of 155
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Yes, but you are making the unwarranted assumption that the concept of a removable battery is a part of the designed function of the device from the start (it is not). The removable battery originates in a design failure so you can't logically argue that you are adding function by forcing this failure on another product that doesn't need it.

Technically, by adding removable batteries to an iPod or iPhone, you would be destroying the form for no reason as the function of the thing is both fine as it is and exactly as designed. The new product, by reason of it's now removable battery would have some minor advantages and some minor disadvantages as well. I would argue that the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages, but in either case it would be an entirely new product.

You are making the assumption that the iphone should be this big and this heavy in the first place.

The fact is that the LG Voyager's standard battery is 950 mah and their extended battery is 1500 mah. The iphone has a standard battery of 1400 mah --- which basically means that everybody is carrying an "extended battery" for the iphone already.

Most people have plastic or leather cases for their iphones --- the backside is covered up anyway.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

My thoughts exactly. It is easier to throw a battery in the trash than to throw a phone. When I am done with my phone I usually sell it on ebay, give it to someone, or sell it to phone repair shops. On the other hand, a defective battery has no value and is easier, for most people, to dispose in the trash instead trying to recycle it.

It's about public education. It's not that hard to recycle batteries and CFL light bulbs --- IKEA and Home Depot.
  • Reply 114 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

It's about public education. It's not that hard to recycle batteries and CFL light bulbs --- IKEA and Home Depot.

Even so, regulations should encourage recycling. User replaceable batteries might or might not be recycled since it depends on the user. In my opinion, it is more effective (for environmental purposes) to have the battery replaced by the manufacturer or authorized technician since they must recycle their waste products. The trip to those centers shouldn't be a problem since the user have to mail or drive to recycle the battery anyway.

My argument is not about the iPhone. It is about the proposed regulations and how it will be better for the environment. As you said, user replaceable batteries depends on public education. On the other hand, inaccessible batteries are much more likely to be recycled when properly replaced.
  • Reply 115 of 155
    The only way to do that is to have a mandatory "bottle deposit".

But a cell phone, pay a $25 recycle deposit in advance. When you finish using the cell phone, send it back to the manufacturer to recycle and get back the $25 deposit.
  • Reply 116 of 155
    Quote:

The only way to do that is to have a mandatory "bottle deposit".

But a cell phone, pay a $25 recycle deposit in advance. When you finish using the cell phone, send it back to the manufacturer to recycle and get back the $25 deposit.

This doesn't make sense since the first buyer will lose the deposit if he sells the phone. As I said before, I never knew anyone who actually threw away their phones even really old ones. There is always someone welling to buy them but no one really want to buy a battery when it no long works. I think the easiest way is to offer a reward for recycling old phones ($5 for a phone with a battery is better than nothing). I know there are many programs for donating phones here in the States such as "Cell phones for soldiers" where they recycle your phone (you don't even have to pay for shipping).
  • Reply 117 of 155
    Quote:

Who said anything about Apple manufacturing their own batteries?!

No one else has because it is cheaper to keep things the way they've always been than to come up with something that looks and feels good. When was the last time you've seen phone makers change their phones to make them easier to use? Other than Qwerty keyboards they did not improve or even try to improve their phones!

And yes Apple is the inventor of everything wonderful since they are the most innovative company in the world

Your post:
    Quote:

I am not worried about this even if it passes. By the time they finalize this proposal batteries will be more efficient and smaller. I am sure Apple engineers will come up with something innovative.

And I was commention on it. Regardless, unless someone else comes up with a major battery or mobile power source innovation that Apple can buy, they too will be stuck just like everyone else.

By the way, good luck with your interview with Apple. You will fit in there perfectly.
  • Reply 118 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Your post:

And I was commention on it. Regardless, unless someone else comes up with a major battery or mobile power source innovation that Apple can buy, they too will be stuck just like everyone else.

By the way, good luck with your interview with Apple. You will fit in there perfectly.

I know what I've posted. When there is demand there will be innovation. Someone will figure out that a smaller more efficient batteries are profitable. Otherwise, we would still be using batteries as big as most current cell phones! On their part, Apple can figure out a way to make these batteries user replaceable without compromise to the form and sleekness.

Note: If you want to engage in civilized conversation I suggest you keep it civilized. There is no need for personal attacks and bad attitude toward others. I have never offended you nor your opinion in anyway. If you feel offended by people expressing their admiration of Apple then you might be in the wrong place. And by the way, I can't work at Apple even if I wanted to since my profession has nothing to do with computers and software.
  • Reply 119 of 155
    Quote:

I know what I've posted. When there is demand there will be innovation. Someone will figure out that a smaller more efficient batteries are profitable. Otherwise, we would still be using batteries as big as most current cell phones! On their part, Apple can figure out a way to make these batteries user replaceable without compromise to the form and sleekness.

The problem is that battery efficiency is a 1000x slower in innovation than the silicon valley's need for more powerful CPU's and bigger LCD screens.....

Silicon doubles speed every 18 months, software lags behind silicon and battery efficiency lags behind software....

Do you know how badly apple is with power efficiency --- the HTC Touch HD (with a 480x800 screen) has a smaller battery (1350 mah) than the iphone (1400 mah).
  • Reply 120 of 155
    Quote:

Silicon doubles speed every 18 months, software lags behind silicon and battery efficiency lags behind software....

Hardcore gamers seem to complain that hardware lags behind software.

Quote:

Do you know how badly apple is with power efficiency --- the HTC Touch HD (with a 480x800 screen) has a smaller battery (1350 mah) than the iphone (1400 mah).

Yes Apple's legendarily so bad with power efficiency that the iPhone 3G outlast every other popular HSDPA smartphone.