Any Web developers want to help finish mobile AppleInsider optimized for iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If so, please drop me a line at kasper (at) appleinsider (dot) com.

Thanks, guys!

K

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Thanks, guys!

K

Care to post any details for potential developers about revenue sharing?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    By the way, Kasper... this gives me a good idea for a new site for you (or any other enterprising webhead).

A developer's connection site. Where companies or individuals with ideas for App Store apps can connect and form partnerships and sign agreements for work to be done and share code and provide feedback.

Call it "AppProvr", for lack of a better name.

Other names:

- AppGround

- AppGrounds

- AppStack

- AppVentures

- AppFloor
  • Reply 3 of 56
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

By the way, Kasper... this gives me a good idea for a new site for you (or any other enterprising webhead).

A developer's connection site. Where companies or individuals with ideas for App Store apps can connect and form partnerships and sign agreements for work to be done and share code and provide feedback.

Call it "AppProvr", for lack of a better name.

Other names:

- AppGround

- AppStack

- AppVentures

Why not a developers forum here? I've suggested it before and I still think its a good idea.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why not a developers forum here? I've suggested it before and I still think its a good idea.

It's a great idea, but not only a dev forum, but a way to enter into legal agreements between companies or other individual developers.

Perhaps there is an enterprising legal firm willing to draw up electronic agreements between parties and take a reasonable percentage of sales for apps developed. This could be extremely lucrative.

The main barrier to entry in the AppStore is getting great ideas into the hands of the people who can execute them, and sharing fairly in the fruits of those partnerships.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:

It's a great idea, but not only a dev forum, but a way to enter into legal agreements between companies or other individual developers.

Perhaps there is an enterprising legal firm willing to draw up electronic agreements between parties and take a reasonable percentage of sales for apps developed. This could be extremely lucrative.

The main barrier to entry in the AppStore is getting great ideas into the hands of the people who can execute them, and sharing fairly in the fruits of those partnerships.

+++

I mention the idea of a developers forum here because the development of the app Now Playing was chronicled in a thread at Ars. Much input from forum members was used in its development. It was fascinating to watch its progress. I think that app benefited from 'web' development. Maybe other apps would as well.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:

+++

I mention the idea of a developers forum here because the development of the app Now Playing was chronicled in a thread at Ars. Much input from forum members was used in its development. It was fascinating to watch its progress. I think that app benefited from 'web' development. Maybe other apps would as well.

It would clearly violate Apple's NDA for developers if feedback was part of the development process, however, after the app was released it could be beneficial. Then again, I think most developers/partners would rather have their own web site in place to focus feedback only on their product. That's why I think a "joint venture clearinghouse" would be more valuable.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I was wondering what was keeping it.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:

It would clearly violate Apple's NDA for developers if feedback was part of the development process,

You're probably right. That NDA is fucking stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:

You're probably right. That NDA is -- stupid.

BUT, if AI decided to partner with a legal firm skilled in the art of contracts for this idea, everyone would come out a winner.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Thanks, guys!

K

Uhhg, to be clear. This isn't a native app, just a mobile version of AppleInsider optimized for the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

Uhhg, to be clear. This isn't a native app, just a mobile version of AppleInsider optimized for the iPhone.

A web app, right?
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:

A web app, right?

m.appleinsider.com
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

m.appleinsider.com

Nothing at that domain.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:

+++

I actually did the graphics for Now Playing. It was a pretty interesting process altogether.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

I actually did the graphics for Now Playing. It was a pretty interesting process altogether.

Nice job. I agree the process was very interesting. Maybe it was a one time event but, I don't know why it couldn't happen again for a free app.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

A web app, right?

Humm, no. A website optimized for the iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Cool I have got a prototype running as some of you have seen before running on iui and php. Got a job interview soon but I would be interested in working on this and building my mobile skills... iPhone skills that is lol. Thanks for the heads up Kasper I hope to get in touch soon. Will try and email you later today...
  • Reply 18 of 56
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    As some of you have seen it, open up flame.macsquad.net in your iPhone or iPod Touch. It's a prototype of viewing AI forums on an iPhone.

Of course, Kasper's probably got something more sophisticated in mind, but it's an interesting exploration of PHP and rapid iPhone Web App prototyping using Joe Hewitt's iUi code.

Post back here if you want me to release the source code (the PHP "screen-scraping" files, for example). I'm taking a new job on Wednesday, so if all goes well in the next two weeks and I get my pay, I don't mind releasing all the source code to whomever at the end of this month.

And yeah we need an iPhone Dev Section.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As some of you have seen it, open up flame.macsquad.net in your iPhone or iPod Touch. It's a prototype of viewing AI forums on an iPhone.

Good job nvid!

Thread comments are difficult to read though. Formatting.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Humm, no. A website optimized for the iPhone.

That's what he meant.