BlackBerry Storm debuts with app store, Mac suite on the way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Shitty phone with shitty name and shitty feature. It's got Shit all over.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

teckstud . . . The iPhone DOES, indeed, have a few "inadequacies" that the vaporware Storm device SEEMS to possess. However, the other side of your observational coin posits that the Storm does, indeed, have a few inadequacies that the iPhone possesses! How about an incomparable OS that the average person can actually understand and use? How about wi-fi? How about touch-screen patents that RIM may (or, of course, may not) have violated since they have come to this party SO DAMNED LATE?

How about originality of design and execution? How about Steve Jobs? In your wildest fantasies would you put Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis in the same ballpark as SJ? Dream on if you do.

iPhone development is innovative, vibrant, unique, and continuous. No matter what momentary advantage RIM may garner from the vaporware Storm (is it out yet?), the iPhone will trump it in the long run. It's what Apple does.

I think you have just won your case. Nice job!
  • Reply 23 of 63
    I have to say that is looks cheap.... somewhat '90s.....
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Man, I don't care about the Storm, it's the synch program that intrigues me. I'm as much of an apple fanboi as any of you, but I gotta say, I prefer my berry for mobile e-mail, phone and contacts. The real crap has been the inability to propery marry the berry to my Mackbook Pro. If this software gets robust enough, then I'm a damned happy man.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anilsudhakaran View Post

CIO = Career is over.

I don't know about you, but those CIOs made IBM and then Microsoft/Intel the dominant computing forces for 2 generations of people. If they win in the corporate world, and RIM is winning there, Apple's got a whole frelling amount of work to do to protect its consumer market. Introducing the iPhone and ensuring a successful launch was the easy part. The next phase of conquering the 800 lb gorilla, which is currently RIM in the American smartphone market, is going to be quite a bit harder. Apple has to make inroads into corporate America to protect its consumer market.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    For people who prefer BlackBerry and touch interfaces, this is a big leap I think. Either way a hardware and software feature battle between RIM and Apple can only produce more capable devices faster. This is a just another nail in the coffin (hopefully) for Windows Mobile--who's decline is imminent. The RIM/iPhone battle combined with the emerging free Android OS should crush Windows Mobile market share quite nicely in the next two or three years. Good times...

Go RIM!
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

That is the biggest piece of Apple Fanboi FUD I have read in a very long time. Thanks, I needed that.

I'm sure my comment will get pulled (as almost all of them do) but I couldn't agree more.

Competition only helps all of us and as I've said many times I'm not sold to a Theology (I mean Vendor).

I am sold on technology and may the best Phone or PC win. I have the iPhone 3G but it lacks sooooooooooooooo much.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    The iPhone will be un-"touchable" until other cell phone manufactures develop (or are allowed to develop??) capacitance touchscreens with multitouch.

I know microsoft is working on their surface technology which is very multitouch and pretty sure its capacitance, so not sure about apple having it locked down or other makers simply don't want to invest in it.

Maybe they think they can get away with having the most important part of the device the human/machine interaction left in the past by throwing in a flash for the cell phone camera?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post

The iPhone will be un-"touchable" until other cell phone manufactures develop (or are allowed to develop??) capacitance touchscreens with multitouch.

The Storm has a multi-touch capacitive touchscreen with the whole screen riding on top of a click mechanism. It is very inventive as it solves some UI difficulties (selection versus cursor movement). Pushing on the screen is like pushing on a key. RIM needs to set it at exactly the right force, and they should be able to easily enough. Once that bit is done, tapping on the screen will feel like typing with keyboard buttons. This is a thousand times better than haptic feedback.

Make no mistake about it. Apple's much more immediate battle is with RIM which is on home turf, Apple's bread basket, and in the background the long term and coming war with Nokia.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Wow is this thread loaded with fanboys!! Anyways, I would just like to bring up a few points:

-there ARE things the iPhone lacks

--for those that travel, you can't swap the SIM card to use a local carrier

--the camera isn't great...while I don't use it very often, better quality (3MP) would be great

--I found myself mistyping a lot the couple of times I played with it at the Apple store...a stylus is annoying, a full keyboard has too small keys, but a QWERTY keyboard w/2 letters to a button is great (for me) and I like it

--sure the iPhone is only $199...but by the time you figure in the service plan into the equation, my family plan is great ($120 for 1500 minutes on two phones on T-Mobile, including data plans on both and unlimited calls to the top 5 numbers for both...why we only need 1500 min). Compare that to $150 for 1400 minutes (but we'd need more since we wouldn't get unlimited calls to 5 numbers)! Saving over 2 yr contract...$720 (plus international roaming charge$). See the point.

While the iPhone does have a few great features that make up for these shortcomings, not everyone needs the music, the better web browsing, nor the App Store. The point I'm trying to make to all of you is this: THE iPHONE IS NOT A "ONE SIZE FITS ALL"...please keep that in mind when b----ing about this phone. Some of us enjoy the ability to use other carriers to...gasp...save money and some of us don't exactly care for the better browser. While I love my Macs and love to share that love with others and spend time on sites like AI and TUAW to learn all the latest...I don't think that everything Apple touches is great for everyone...iPhone included. Sorry for the rant...but many of you needed this!!!

On a positive note, I am very happy for the new syncing software for Mac...the current software is for PPC and is very slow and always crashes 2/3 of the way through a "sync". This has driven me crazy to the point of syncing calendars manually whenever I have free time and am bored (or procrastinating). Way to go RIM for finally realizing there are Mac users in this world (now if only AutoDesk realized this)!!!

To anyone who responds...don't just post "but the iPhone has..." I care about practicality not aesthetics and touchscreen technologies yada yada.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

The Storm has a multi-touch capacitive touchscreen with the whole screen riding on top of a click mechanism. It is very inventive as it solves some UI difficulties (selection versus cursor movement). Pushing on the screen is like pushing on a key. RIM needs to set it at exactly the right force, and they should be able to easily enough. Once that bit is done, tapping on the screen will feel like typing with keyboard buttons. This is a thousand times better than haptic feedback.

Make no mistake about it. Apple's much more immediate battle is with RIM which is on home turf, Apple's bread basket, and in the background the long term and coming war with Nokia.

After reading the first dozen posts or so, I was hoping SOMEONE would post some accurate information instead of all the fanboy bullshit. As you said, this phone DOES have a capacitive touchscreen, which uses a physical 'click' mechanism. (basically the entire display surface is a "button"). I don't particularly like the idea of a two-part sequence of "touch to select, then press harder to execute" though...
  • Reply 32 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

--the camera isn't great...while I don't use it very often, better quality (3MP) would be great

As said many times before. Without bigger lens and sensor 3MP is not better than 2MP as MegaPixel thing is more as myth.

Quote:

Way to go RIM for finally realizing there are Mac users in this world (now if only AutoDesk realized this)!!!

I know... However, I am not missing AutoDesk AutoCAD and ADT since I started using Vectorworks and ArchiCAD. They are much better than ADT when it comes to 3D modeling and BIM. It is just the fact that many still living in Autodesk shadows and not willing to learn something new. I have many friends who work in A&E firms that uses ADT but they wish they could use VW or ArchiCAD instead.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

As said many times before. Without bigger lens and sensor 3MP is not better than 2MP as MegaPixel thing is more as myth.

I know... However, I am not missing AutoDesk AutoCAD and ADT since I started using Vectorworks and ArchiCAD. They are much better than ADT when it comes to 3D modeling and BIM. It is just the fact that many still living in Autodesk shadows and not willing to learn something new. I have many friends who work in A&E firms that uses ADT but they wish they could use VW or ArchiCAD instead.

I know the megapixels aren't the only thing that determines picture quality (I like photography as something to do on trips...but not the reason I have a Mac)...but having more pixels makes for more dots per inch...which makes for a larger picture or a better picture when viewing at the same size. Six-10 megapixels doesn't make much of a difference (unless you turn your pics into large posters)...but 2-3 does (you are assuming RIM doesn't improve the sensor).

Also, I contemplated purchasing VectorWorks when I first heard of it last year (it's $120 or so for a student edition versus $400 for a 13mo AutoCAD license)...but I only had one semester of school left and decided against buying anything. Being a recent grad I'm more of the "eyes and ears" for the seasoned engineers, checking progress on site rather than sitting in an office and working on the project all the time (most of the time, at least)...I only need AutoCAD to open files to view, which saves me from spending lots of time in Windoze(BootCamp) and AutoCAD. I am thankful enough to be allowed to use my personal computer and be provided a copy of AutoCAD for it (I had to pay for Windows myself)...I'm not going to turn around and ask my manager to change software for the whole company too. Nevertheless, AutoCAD for Mac would be a dream come true.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    OMG there are FOLDER icons? hahahah haven't they learned anything from windows?

And its coming in december. How does that count as having launched?
  • Reply 35 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It's my understanding that Apple owns the patents on the touch-screen technology on the iPhone which is why you don't see any other phone-makers implementing it. The other players are basically using glorified Palm handheld screens. Very 1990's.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    There is something very familiar about the OS on these screenshots from the OFFICIAL Storm page on Vonaphone's website

• Reply 37 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is something very familiar about the OS on these screenshots from the OFFICIAL Storm page on Vonaphone's website

OMG... Are they kidding?! I though you've made that up but was shocked that it was actually real!!!!

What were they thinking!!!

• Reply 38 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

OMG... Are they kidding?! I though you've made that up but was shocked that it was actually real!!!!

There are lot of errors and incomplete links on the page. And there doesn't seem to be any links that go to the Specification page, so I looks like it's template page with an inside joke thrown in.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Too funny...I think you can see the cingular symbol on 2 of the pictures...

Totally blatant, or someone is playing tricks...
  • Reply 40 of 63
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:

There are lot of errors and incomplete links on the page. And there doesn't seem to be any links that go to the Specification page, so I looks like it's template page with an inside joke thrown in.

AI - why did you even post this story? This isn't a launch.. this is just some half ass item from vodaphone. ignore it until the thunder truly launches here in the US.