New photo may reveal more of Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A photo originating on a Chinese website and making the rounds on the Web this afternoon resembles descriptions of Apple's next-generation MacBook Pro, which is expected share design similarities with the company's MacBook Air and aluminum iMacs.

The photo depicts what could be the left-hand side of a 15- or 17-inch MacBook Pro with a new speaker grill design and keyboard cutout that matches the one already employed by the company's 13-inch MacBook Air.

This would appear to conform with expectations that both Apple's new MacBook and MacBook Pro would borrow design cues from the most recent iMacs and MacBook Air, as was outlined in an AppleInsider report in April.

The port layout of the notebook shown in the photo also matches changes outlined in AppleInsider report from a couple of weeks ago, which noted both the FireWire 400 port and 28-pin DVI-I (Dual Link) port both appeared to be missing on the next-generation MacBook Pro, with the latter being replaced with what appeared to be a mini-DVI port.

The bottom of the casing is clearly missing from the latest photo, though a photo (below) of both the top and bottom of the next-generation 15-inch MacBook shell, authenticated by people familiar with the new systems, surfaced back in July.

AppleInsider also recently received an anonymous report that Apple was actively manufacturing new MacBook Pros that included between "2000 and 3000 micro-perfed holes for the speakers." Production is said to have been underway for quite some time, though last minute glitches have reportedly caused some minor setbacks, the source said. The grill description matches the latest photo.

Possible partial shot of a next-generation MacBook Pro | Credit elesson.com.cn

The notebook in the image above shares the same keyboard cutout as the MacBook Air.

The photo above is reported to be an authentic capture of the top and bottom shell of Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    That's going to be a tough chassis.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I know they article said Mini DVI but could that possibly be a HDMI port? Oh I know I am still wishing for Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

I know they article said Mini DVI but could that possibly be a HDMI port? Oh I know I am still wishing for Blu-Ray.

It could, but speculating on that could have very bad repercussions =P
  • Reply 4 of 91
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Looks good if its real - thin with no tapering. Now if they just made a model that was not so wide it would be perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdavy View Post

Why would you have a HDMI port when you can support HDCP over DVI (and use a converter cable) and the computer industry is moving toward DisplayPort?
  • Reply 6 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Looks good if its real - thin with no tapering. Now if they just made a model that was not so wide it would be perfect.

Not necessarily thinner than the existing MBPros - the photo on the top is of the casing, and you can see through to the bottom, which suggests that there will be a piece on the bottom which may add more depth. We won't know until we see the whole thing.

I'm really disappointed that they seem to be going to the Macbook/Air keyboard. Although it looks a lot better than the existing Macbook pro keyboard, I find it pretty cheap feeling and less tactile in comparison.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Those don't look like micro-perf holes (which would be nearly invisible as with the Air's power light or mic)--they look more like the current holes in fact. (Something in between?)

Probably just a mis-worded rumor about the holes. Photo does look real.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    The top photo does not match the bottom photo.

The top photo shows a square-ish design and you can see the top (of the non-screen portion) and one side. The bottom photos show a rounded design where you can see the bottom (of the non-screen portion), and one side.

If you put them together you would get a one inch thick laptop. Seems unlikely to me.

Unless one of them is fake, the top one is the Pro and the bottom one is the non-Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    I think what makes this new photo genuine is not just the shape of the holes for the keyboard keys, but the indention of the entire keyboard into the chassis. That, the ports on the side, and the large holes for the feet underneath (which resemble the size of the Air's rounded black feet) pretty much solidify the spy shots as real.

MacBook Air

New MacBook Pro

MacBook Air

New MacBook Pro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

No, it's stated in the article that the "bottom of the casing is clearly missing from the latest photo." The new case design is pictured in its entirety with tapered edges if you scroll down to the bottom of the article.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If you put them together you would get a one inch thick laptop. Seems unlikely to me.

Apple cannot make the Macbook Pro much thinner than an inch, not if they intend to keep using high-end mobile processors and discrete GPUs. It's just not possible to cool those things in a thinner enclosure.

Instead, they're going to use tricks like tapered edges to make it look thinner, and if we assume both of those photos are real, they certainly could go together.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    pik.pik. Posts: 5member
    do you think we are going to see 15" Macbooks?
  • Reply 12 of 91
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Apple cannot make the Macbook Pro much thinner than an inch, not if they intend to keep using high-end mobile processors and discrete GPUs. It's just not possible to cool those things in a thinner enclosure.

Instead, they're going to use tricks like tapered edges to make it look thinner, and if we assume both of those photos are real, they certainly could go together.

Couldn't they trim a few millimetres off the display assembly?

/Adrian
  • Reply 13 of 91
    The two cases, the one from Apple.pro and from the Chinese forum do not match. The one from Apple.pro has tapered edges. Does the spy photo has tapered edges? No!
  • Reply 14 of 91
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    The spy photo has no bottom -- that's where a taper would be. The top is only thick enough for the largest port.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    What about the whole 'The Brick is a way of making computers out of a single block of aluminium' thing? Surely the bottom of the case would be there if that was the case...
  • Reply 16 of 91
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Couldn't they trim a few millimetres off the display assembly?

/Adrian

With LED and, God forbid, OLED displays, they very well could!

Every millimeter shaved off the top goes to the bottom, et voila, same one inch enclosure, but more room in the bottom for quad core/bigger battery/bluray drive
  • Reply 17 of 91
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

What about the whole 'The Brick is a way of making computers out of a single block of aluminium' thing? Surely the bottom of the case would be there if that was the case...

Yeah, a lot of sites are jumping to the conclusion that -- assuming the latest photo is even real -- it provides some evidence of some new manufacturing methods. We see absolutely no evidence of that. In fact, if the image is real, it looks like they're using the same methods used to manufacturer the current systems like the MacBook Air. The systems would simply be pieced together differently.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    i dont care about the leaks..... I"M JUST PRAYING ITS COMING OUT ON THE 14TH!!!
  • Reply 19 of 91
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

That's still true! You're misunderstanding what you're seeing. I'm typing this on my 15" PowerBook G4 and just like the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, the outer case is all one piece. But the keyboard, trackpad, speakers, and all the innards are part of a single, separate piece that fits into the outer case.

Notice the dark gray seam in this photo?:

• Reply 20 of 91
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Darn, and I just got my MBP THIS year!, hmm, yea there is a gray seam plastic, I kind like it, cause I knew that my hand (near the wrist area) wont get cutted or at least feel something .