Those Maine students using OSX?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Much has been made of that huge contract where Apple is supplying a Maine school board a bunch of iBooks.

I wonder....will they be using OSX or go back to 9.2?

I'm not sure those G3 powered books will be fast enough to run OSX for kids who demand instant download and launch times.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Those kids have faster computers than my iBook, and I find it perfectly fine for OS X use. Although I do have 384MB of ram.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    All of the pictures I've seen have shown the iBooks running OS X.

I saw a good article on it a while back, by a Maine newspaper. I found it by following the links to the schools at Apple's main website. Click on the image on the front page and you'll see what I mean.

Here are some pics. Can't tell much, but I definitely see Docks:

<a href="http://www.bres.boothbay.k12.me.us/mlti.training.photos.html"; target="_blank">http://www.bres.boothbay.k12.me.us/mlti.training.photos.html</a>;

The other pics I saw were of kids in schools actually using the iBooks. I think it was linked to from the Skyways school website, which currently isn't loading for me...

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    havanashavanas Posts: 99member
    seems like using an actual multi-user os that prevents you from trashing the system might make sense... so yeah X would be the way to go. Just make the kids lowely 'regular' users and throw some open firmware security in there. nice an secure.....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    Is it just me, or do those teachers look *quite* perplexed?

I'm sure they're happy to have their new laptops, but it serves as a good reminder that the greatest hurdle may not be getting the kids to use the computers (the kids will be like bees to honey), but to train the teachers to use them effectively.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    teachers suck

they should get PCs

hahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahah

pres
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Heh, I've heard that some of the Maine students trying to get around the multiple users and get to pr0n/warez/mp3/etc have come into #macnn chat