Which weekly news rag do you recommend?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I can only take so much of the Commercial News Network (CNN)

I'm considering a subscription to Time, US News, or another similar magazine to replace CNN with my morning café. Do you have any such subscriptions? I'd like a centrist magazine with minimal coverage of pop culture and more coverage of both US and world politics and events.

I don't want to pay more than $35 or so per year, so don't recommend the Economist. I read the economist at the library if at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

I can only take so much of the Commercial News Network (CNN)

I'm considering a subscription to Time, US News, or another similar magazine to replace CNN with my morning café. Do you have any such subscriptions? I'd like a centrist magazine with minimal coverage of pop culture and more coverage of both US and world politics and events.

I don't want to pay more than $35 or so per year, so don't recommend the Economist. I read the economist at the library if at all.

You've got a Mac. You've got an Internet connection. What are you reading hardcopy for?

The Economist is also on the web, it would have been my first recommendation.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Agreed.

No real need anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The economist is the only one that's any good. For longer articles, the Atlantic (monthly, though) is awesome and the New Yorker is definitely important, but not everything in it is interesting to everyone since it's NYC-centric and heavyish on the arts. Time, US News and Newsweek really are complete and utter shit.

The benefit of getting something like the Atlantic or New Yorker in print is that it makes reading the longer articles much easier. Otherwise you need to print articles up to take them with you and read them on the train/bun or at lunch or wherever. It frequently takes me a day or two to get through an Atlantic article.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I get the Economist at work (they pay for it ) and it's the only magazine of this type I read in paper. Everything else can be had online. Why not check out Newsvine.com online?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Thanks for the replies. I thought my thread was gonna die a zero-reply death!

I do most of my in-depth reading online. But I just want something that I can read at the kitchen table, in the bath, or on the way to work. I'll check out the Atlantic. I'm still considering a subscription to time; I think pop-news has its place and it is when I'm sleepy and not in the mood to think too much