Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

It's been interesting reading the opinions, but I put him on ignore LONG ago.

Good idea. Nothing gets accomplished by our convversations, anyway.

Quote:

Alu might be cool on the complete range, and hopefully lead to multiple colours, while I'm not sure about that idea working, it would be nice and would be another differentiator between Apple and everyone else.

I think colours would be a grande idea. Especially with the younger generation that Apple is attacking. In this economic crisis having a product that stands out more is a good idea (not that it's ever a bad idea). But would they change the colours every revision like the iPod Nano, or would they keep it the same for the next 3 years. If it's the latter, then they need to be sure these colours are going to work for that long. Being showy seems to be a flash in the pan selling point which may hurt sales down the road if it's considered stagnant.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    It's great to see some redesign to the shape of the machine, but we haven't seen much innovation in the MBPro since they came out. I remember with the Powerbooks how apple took the lead in Bluetooth, Airport, backlit keyboards, etc. It seems that the MBPro has seen processor enhancements but no groundbreaking changes or feature additions that put it ahead of the PC competition. My two cents
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Yeah, a store like FastMac isn't designed to part Mac users with their money. That "FastMac" drive is actually a Panasonic UJ-225, and I guarantee you it doesn't cost a grand.

Of course it doesn't cost a grand, they need to make a profit. Considering it's a high-end item with low sales volume they will look for a higher margin per sale.

Knowing the drive type, It can be found on Google Shopping for as little as $550.
  • Reply 44 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I never said plus or differential. I said it cost $1000 for a 12.7mm slot-loading BRD, and that no 9.5mm BRD was yet on the market. I am still waiting for you rationale as to how Apple will achieve this momentous feat of comparably priced BRD in 9.5mm form factor.

Such anger- the market must really have you down.

Show me the PC with the "$1000 for a 12.7mm slot-loading BRD" added to it vs it's non blu-ray counterpart -PLEEZ!!!!! How much is the diifferential - not $1,000! That claim is totally misleading that it's too expensive for a blu-ray drive.

I NEVER rationaled "as to how Apple will achieve this momentous feat of comparably priced BRD in 9.5mm form factor" - that's all your warped reasoning. All I said that began all of your tirades was that "Without blu-ray why bother adding a HDMI port"!

CAN'T YOU READ??????? MUST YOU TWIST WHAT EVERYONE WRITES ON HERE???
  • Reply 45 of 105
    I hope they do do all the colours, would be pretty cool to have an orange macbook afterall they did make the ibook in a few colours!
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Should we really be caring about tactile keyboard keys with the state of the economy? Will it matter if there is a black bezel on the MacBook Pro when the government takes over my bank? Is conservatism a gateway drug to communism? Where did I leave my keys? Why do I feel the urge to take that stress test at that table at Grand Central station? Why do I have the sudden urge- Wait. Where am I?
  • Reply 47 of 105
    Quote:

Good idea. Nothing gets accomplished by our convversations, anyway.

I think colours would be a grande idea. Especially with the younger generation that Apple is attacking. In this economic crisis having a product that stands out more is a good idea (not that it's ever a bad idea). But would they change the colours every revision like the iPod Nano, or would they keep it the same for the next 3 years. If it's the latter, then they need to be sure these colours are going to work for that long. Being showy seems to be a flash in the pan selling point which may hurt sales down the road if it's considered stagnant.

I'm not the only one on here that you can't understand with your "grande" reasonings.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:

I understand some people prefer the current MBP keyboard, but I wonder how many would not by a new Mac because of the keyboard change.

Well some people seem to make a big deal about it , anyway a lot of people that used the new keyboard says that they prefer it more then the current MBP keyboard layout.

Quote:

I hope they do do all the colours, would be pretty cool to have an orange macbook afterall they did make the ibook in a few colours!

MacBook Chromatic? Well someone, start doing the mockups!!!!
  • Reply 49 of 105
    Quote:

Of course it doesn't cost a grand, they need to make a profit. .

Then why did you state that?

You're so full of BS- it's pathetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solipsism

I know this one... because Blu-ray is not the only way to get HD content, AND an internal Blu-ray drive costing $1000 extra ......

• Reply 50 of 105
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I don't know where you people are getting that it'll be thicker. Looks to me like it will be exactly the same thickness as the current one, just with a little more rounding on the edges (and not much more, either).

The impression that it will be thicker is given by combining the two images. The first one shows a non rounded edge of about 12 mm, the second set shows a rounded edge of similar depth. Added together they produce a very thick laptop. The easier explanation is that one or the other image is wrong, or that they are from two different models of laptop.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    Oh yea btw, October 14th event is CONFIRMED, so that means its likely we will see the new MB and MBP on October 14th, yippie
  • Reply 52 of 105
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

It will have ports on the opposite side, almost for sure on the MBP. We cant's see the express card port either so some ports should be added on the other side. The optical drive will stay on the front, i guess, as usual.

The express port is the port "most likely to be removed" however. It's use is limited and very un-Apple like. It may be that they have just decided to let it go into that long good night along with all the other ageing technologies.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Oh yea btw, October 14th event is CONFIRMED, so that means its likely we will see the new MB and MBP on October 14th, yippie

Is it??? Where did you see that! Link it! I and/or everybody here really want to see that info from accurate sources!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The express port is the port "most likely to be removed" however. It's use is limited and very un-Apple like. It may be that they have just decided to let it go into that long good night along with all the other ageing technologies.

Well... you have a point on that! Personally i'm not going to use the express port but someone might want to use it. However, that remotion makes sense because today everything can be used through a USB port
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Without a blu-ray drive- why bother?

Teckstud you are a tedious dullard troll. 1 - People download media onto their laptops. 2 - they'd like to watch it on their big-screen TV. Get it?

If they want to watch Blu-Ray with 7.1 on their big TV they will get a dedicated player. There is no need for it to be portable because the TV is BIG. Laptops play DVDs currently, but have you ever heard of anyone relying on their laptop as their primary DVD player when they went to the trouble of installing a surround sound system?

I'm not saying Apple would never include Blu-Ray, but until then their are plenty of reasons to "bother" without it.

Having said that, I think mini-DVI plus optical is fine.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

If Apple no longer makes a portable with a common sense, ergonomic keyboard, then I'm simply not using Apple portables anymore.

That's a bit harsh! When I first played with Macbooks in an Apple store I was kind of meh about the keyboard. But now I have owned one for about a year, I can truely say I love the Macbook keyboard. My "full travel" keyboards on my other computers nw drive me batty and I do not press the keys in far enough these days and typing on a "normal" keyboard just seems like too much effort.

Granted I have not typed on the current Macbook Pro keyboard, but the current Macbook keyboard is not bad...
  • Reply 56 of 105
    The symbol to left of the hole between USB and audio looks though it's quite blurry like the one of the DVI-port on my MBP. So it's a display port, but which ? No current one fits the size...
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

That is great news! Just one thing, where did you get this confirmation? I have been looking at all the web site (AppleInsider, Mac Rumors, etc.) and have found nothing about confirmation. Any additional info would be awesome.

edit: I now feel pretty stupid, seeing as how 5 seconds after I posted this I double-checked and saw the announcement. Oh well.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alfrank View Post

The symbol to left of the hole between USB and audio looks though it's quite blurry like the one of the DVI-port on my MBP. So it's a display port, but which ? No current one fits the size...

As another posters pointed out, I think a 4-pin 1394a port is the closest to the hole in the case.

Mini-DVI is similair, and Apple has put it between the USB and mic ports on PowerBooks, but the bottom of the hole should be more rounded at the bottom.

• Reply 59 of 105
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

As another posters pointed out, I think a 4-pin 1394a port is the closest to the hole in the case.

Mini-DVI is similair, and Apple has put it between the USB and mic ports on PowerBooks, but the bottom of the hole should be more rounded at the bottom.

Really? Which powerbook? I have the last PB and the one before that and neither have that mini-dvi port. These machines have a full sized dvi port with s-video. I think it would be safe to say the mini-dvi port was not even around at the time the powerbooks shipped. Apple dropped the s-video when the first round of mbp's hit the street but they retained the full sized dvi port.

From left to right in that macbook shot the ports look like, magsafe, ethernet, 2 usb and most likely 4 pin FW def no video port on this side. I doubt the macbook will have video out port. Perhaps if we are lucky there will be a DisplayPort on the the side close to the back. Would be madness to use anything else than a DisplayPort.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Really? Which powerbook? I have the last PB and the one before that and neither have that mini-dvi port. These machines have a full sized dvi port with s-video. I think it would be safe to say the mini-dvi port was not even around at the time the powerbooks shipped. Apple dropped the s-video when the first round of mbp's hit the street but they retained the full sized dvi port.

That looks like a 12" PB in the pic I posted.

edit: According to MacTracker, the 1.25GHz G4 was the first 12" PB to get a mini-DVI port.