What about the Mac Mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since the October 14th event seems to be focused on the laptops, seems like little chance for updtates on the Mini which is by far the most out of date Mac of them all.



Is it any surprise no one is buying a Mini given their hopelessly outdated and meager specs. With this economy Apple needs a vastly improved Mini at a lower price point.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post


    Since the October 14th event seems to be focused on the laptops, seems like little chance for updtates on the Mini which is by far the most out of date Mac of them all.



    Is it any surprise no one is buying a Mini given their hopelessly outdated and meager specs. With this economy Apple needs a vastly improved Mini at a lower price point.



    They need a min tower.



    The Psystar system specs are so much better that the mini looks like a joke.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    aaquibaaquib Posts: 10member
    Despite it being focused around Macbooks, I think we'll see a Mini refresh. Whether minor or major, it's coming.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agree. The mini couldn't go anywhere without bumping up against the low end MacBook and iMac specs. They've bumped the iMac, they're bumping the MacBooks... and then the mini pulls up the rear, as usual.



    Either that or they'll just eliminate it.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,357moderator
    It's been 14 months since they've done anything with it. Usually Mini updates come along with the iMac updates.



    I think after the new laptops come out, they have to change it or get rid of it because of the fact it still uses plastic. They are transitioning to all metal. Hopefully that won't affect wireless signals though.
  • Reply 5 of 94
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    They'll just keep the Mini around as it is, IMO. They're hoping people won't keep buying them so they can actually discontinue it.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    I hope there is a new Mini, I want one to connect to my 47 inch HDTV, since that would give me most of the benefits of Apple TV plus web browsing etc, on a FullHD panel it would look very slick I think. But I'm not going to buy the present model as it is just too old.



    Funnily enough, if there is a 800 buck notebook I might use that as a default mini of sorts, nuts as that is. But I'm really hopeing we get a new mini on the 14th, or at least new specs!
  • Reply 7 of 94
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Since Tuesday's focused on Notebooks, I would have pegged the Mini for a silent upgrade today.

    That way, after Thanksgiving the focus won't be distracted from the new machines to "Why the Mini is a complete waste of time..."
  • Reply 8 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    Since Tuesday's focused on Notebooks, I would have pegged the Mini for a silent upgrade today.



    If, or when, the Mac mini gets updated it will get some of the new tech that is going into the MacBook so a silent update would ruin any sort of surprise that Apple will have with the notebooks.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Probably the main reason is so damned expensive for what you get is due to the fact that it uses miniaturized laptop parts which cost so much more. It is a prime example of form hurting functionality and certainly cost.



    If they would just make a slightly larger version that could use normal desktop parts like a 3.5" HD and optical drive, as well as a desktop class Core 2 Duo, the cost for the parts would be a lot lower. Not to mention it would be a much more powerful computer. Apple's obsession with making every new version slimmer and smaller works for products like the iPod or laptops, but I think it is hurting their desktop line.



    I would love to see a Mini Pro as an option even if it cost about the same as a Macbook or entry iMac. As long as it includes a PCIe slot for a real video card and maybe a Wolfdale class CPU.



    Maybe with these new rumored Nvidia chipsets, just upgrading the current Mini's form will be good enough if they also increase max ram to 4GB and hopefully do away with the white plastic case. After 14 months I am hoping for a radical redesign and update or a completely new model like a Mini Pro.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    Don't you think the latest iMac made the Mac Mini redundant? I do.



    If you buy a Mini, you need a screen to go with it. As soon as you buy a flat screen monitor, you've got an iMac. So why bother with the Mini? Why not just get an iMac? it's one thing instead of two.



    Ah, i hear you say. You can easily pack a Mac Mini in a brief case and transport it around with you. Ditto with a MacBook Air or MacBook. Then again, some people figure that the iPhone is effectively a Mac Mini, because it packs so much computing power into such a small package. Personally, i think that's a stretch, but maybe the MacTouch will be?



    I just don't see a future for the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    They'll just keep the Mini around as it is, IMO. They're hoping people won't keep buying them so they can actually discontinue it.



    It's only a distraction anyway. If they are going to bother selling a standalone they should make it a $1000 mini-tower. What they really need however is a juicier Apple TV with a DVD slot.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    Don't you think the latest iMac made the Mac Mini redundant? I do.



    If you buy a Mini, you need a screen to go with it. As soon as you buy a flat screen monitor, you've got an iMac. So why bother with the Mini? Why not just get an iMac? it's one thing instead of two.



    Ah, i hear you say. You can easily pack a Mac Mini in a brief case and transport it around with you. Ditto with a MacBook Air or MacBook. Then again, some people figure that the iPhone is effectively a Mac Mini, because it packs so much computing power into such a small package. Personally, i think that's a stretch, but maybe the MacTouch will be?



    I just don't see a future for the Mac Mini.



    the logic is that its for "switchers" who already own a mouse/keyboard/screen from their PC, and they have a cheap way to "try" a Mac.



    I dunno if this is particularly useful, but that was the original logic.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    There are monitors everywhere. Everywhere. HDTVs are all monitors now. My new Cintiq will be a monitor. What's wrong with being green and efficient, and not wanting yet another screen? And glossy screens are ugly. Ugly.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    The Psystar system specs are so much better that the mini looks like a joke.



    Yes, and consumers are just snapping them up by the boatload. Oh, wait....
  • Reply 15 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    Don't you think the latest iMac made the Mac Mini redundant? I do.



    If you buy a Mini, you need a screen to go with it. As soon as you buy a flat screen monitor, you've got an iMac. So why bother with the Mini? Why not just get an iMac? it's one thing instead of two.



    Ah, i hear you say. You can easily pack a Mac Mini in a brief case and transport it around with you. Ditto with a MacBook Air or MacBook. Then again, some people figure that the iPhone is effectively a Mac Mini, because it packs so much computing power into such a small package. Personally, i think that's a stretch, but maybe the MacTouch will be?



    I just don't see a future for the Mac Mini.



    I need a KEYBOARD port of some sort and VGA OUT for my iPhone 3G! That would be sweet.



    Adventurous accessory makers are probably on the case, as we speak.



    Along with Jailbreak stuff... Mmm.... Sweet.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    If you buy a Mini, you need a screen to go with it.



    That 'screen' is the LCD HD TV, in my case. My mini is a great STB.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    Don't you think the latest iMac made the Mac Mini redundant? I do.



    If you buy a Mini, you need a screen to go with it. As soon as you buy a flat screen monitor, you've got an iMac. So why bother with the Mini? Why not just get an iMac? it's one thing instead of two.



    Ah, i hear you say. You can easily pack a Mac Mini in a brief case and transport it around with you. Ditto with a MacBook Air or MacBook. Then again, some people figure that the iPhone is effectively a Mac Mini, because it packs so much computing power into such a small package. Personally, i think that's a stretch, but maybe the MacTouch will be?



    I just don't see a future for the Mac Mini.



    I already had an LCD monitor, not the mention the 20" panel in the latest iMacs isn't that great (even my sub-$200 Acer widescreen 20" LCD has slightly higher brightness). And I already have a perfectly fine KB and mouse (the Mighty Mouse would get tossed in the trash), and I also have my PC tower to consider, which I also plug into my LCD panel.



    And no the iPhone/Touch doesn't compare to a real computer, as I've got a Touch - it's just an iPod with Safari and a few apps (slightly improved since I've recently jailbroke it).



    The Mini really needs updated graphics, higher RAM support, and a fast 3.5" HD. I don't want to spend $1200 to get an iMac with a cheap panel that I don't want or need.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    No mini upgrades at all.



    Ever...
  • Reply 19 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,357moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post


    No mini upgrades at all.



    Ever...



    I think Steve feels our pain:







    But nobody listens to him any more.



    There's nothing for Apple to lose right now by updating the Mini with good graphics and say 2GB Ram standard. The iMac and Mac Pro have good graphics options so there's no problem.



    Maybe they are finding a way to squish an Nvidia motherboard into a square shape.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Is it possible that the Mini is now the record holder for the longest time a computer model has gone without an upgrade?
Sign In or Register to comment.