Notes of interest on recent Apple MacBook case leaks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Not to mention, the original iMac and clamshell iBook came in a myriad of colors, and both models sold in much fewer numbers than todays Mac notebooks.

Yeah, because Mac market share was extremely LOW in 1998 and 1999. Only we hardcore Mac users were buying Macs back then. Today it's a much different story. Apple's US notebook share is over 20%. Notebooks now mostly outsell desktop machines, regardless of platform.

Apple charged a premium for black MacBooks. Why not charge the same premium for an array of colored MacBooks?

One could imagine iPod and MacBook bundles in the same color. More than just these theoretical "teenage girls" would be interested.

That would be a great move on Apple's part.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

There are not real details until the 14th. Jobs has been known to change things at the last minute (glass screen instead of plastic on the iPhone), so what are you talking about?

As for relevance, what is relevant to 99% of computer users? Colour, form factor, price. That's what is being discussed. Maybe you could propose a question instead of ranting.

Manifestly, the reason that he/she did not propose a question is that it is manifest that no one has any reliable information. You said as much in your first sentence here.

As for what is relevant to 99% of computer users, I personally do not make up that large of a percentage, and I have never taken a survey, so I could not say. That said, I seriously doubt if color is particularly high on the list of priorities for 99% of computer users. Possibly for 25%, or maybe even 50%, but surely 99% of computer users are not that vain.

Personally, I care a great deal about the feel of the keyboard, not merely the tactile sensation when pressing a key, but also the ability to detect the individual keys as my fingers graze over the tops of the keys. I don't care much at all about what color the keys are. With most desktop keyboards the horizontal rows of keys are arranged like bleachers, with the rows set progressively higher toward the back of the keyboard. In that case, the top surfaces of the individual keys only need to be concave in one dimension. The keys on the present Macbook Pro are that way, i.e., concave in one dimension on the upper surface. Because the keyboards on notebook computers are not staged in the manner of bleachers, one obvious solution would be to round off the back edge of the key while keeping the forward edge sharp. What with all of Apple's expertise in the man-machine interface, you would think that they would have figured out at least this much about notebook keyboards. If it were possible to purchase a Lenovo T-series running Apple's OS, I would buy that in a heartbeat instead of any Apple notebook, even for the same cost as an Apple notebook. The reason is simply that the functional quality of the keyboard is more important to me than all the other physical design differences that I perceive between a Lenovo T-series and an Apple Macbook.

Despite its shortcomings, the Macbook Pro keyboard is still among the better notebook keyboards. It has reasonably good tactile sensation for a notebook keyboard. It is superior in every way to the keyboards on the other Macbooks, which are mediocre at best. We can only hope that the new high-end Macbooks (Macbook Pro) will not adopt the mediocre keyboard of the other Macbooks.

As for the display, one of my priorities is that it have an anti-glare surface. This is something that differentiates the present Macbook from the Macbook Pro, since you cannot get an anti-glare screen with a Macbook.

There comes a point when the priority given to form in lieu of function just goes too far, and Apple has already crossed that line as far as I am concerned. Specifically, Apple crossed well to the wrong side of that line when they brought out those abominable slab keyboards that were introduced with the present iMac.

The present models are every bit as elegant as there is any reason for them to be. Rather than try and add more gilding to a lilly that is obviously suffering from too much gilding already, they need to take a step back and take a serious look at the functional quality of the keyboards in particular. The curved back of the Air is a nice touch, but something of this sort should simply not compromise the functionality of the ports, and if it turns out that the funcationality of the ports on the new Macbooks has been compromised in order to give the appearance of a slimmer edge, that will be very unfortunate. If it proves to be the case that this has happened, then I certainly hope that a great many people will stop obsessing over the color of the keyboard and let Apple know that they have taken this form-over-function nonsense way too far.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eppies View Post

http://www.apple.pro/macbook/

Gone already?
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

Gone already?

waht do you mean gone already?
  • Reply 46 of 108
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Regarding colors...

Perhaps Apple could sell replacement aluminium lids (in colors - and later with designed patterns) for their new lineup?

Could start the original iMac trend all over again (but this time everybody buys a vanilla alu 'book first, before adding color to it).

(I would buy a orange lid in a heartbeat)

Would be a cool way to make your notebook somewhat unique (or to freshen it up after it has gotten bumps/scratches).
  • Reply 47 of 108
    Quote:

that is without doubt a current macbook air............
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's not saying they should ignore that market but not adding a bit of color. I have several nieces, believe me, by not adding a splash of color they are allowing sales to slip away. So charge a $50 premium for color, they won't care as long as they get some color. And it's not just teenage girls, but girls in general. I'm not kidding. Besides, it's high time they brought back some color, it's been long enough without it at this stage.

Sales slipping away because "tween" girls can't get a pink macbook? I really doubt it....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripdragon View Post

lame. Old tech is lame. iphone has it. But thats it. iphone has it, notebooks do not. Notebooks and the whole form factor are old hat.

Thats all I got. $500 notebook, then yeah thats cool. That worth it. But this economy does not like $1000 even 899 is to much for old hat now.

Is no one going to inspire the djs and graphic artists and everyone really with tasty new ideas? Hardware, mega iphone.. Plaster itunes all over it. Just the d@%m tablets out already.

I said my peace.

What the hell are you talking about? the iPhone is indeed impressive, but it obviously cannot replace a laptop for getting work done. Work being editing spreadsheets, writing reports, using CRM/sales software, graphic design, video production, software development, web design or whatever you need to do. What form factor do you suggest using to accomplish these things while out of the office/home? A desktop? a tablet? a mainframe? big ass table?
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaylikeBird View Post

What about "not unique?" 'Not' is indeed a modifier, and 'not unique' is a valid use. Your sweeping statement seemed quite grand though. It's not often I find such grand and incorrect statements on the internet, but it's hardly unique.

Not only that, but it wasn't even unique that was being modified as more or less. It was "design changes", which happen to be tangibly unique that there will be more of. Unless the tangibly was the part you were annoyed at, but I see that as something that specifies what parts of the design will be unique, so I don't see how that's a problem.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

1995 called, and they want their proprietary connectors back.

Ok, use DisplayPort then. The question is why you would use a smaller connector. Having larger laptop just to accommodate a full sized DVI port is pretty idiotic.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post

Good, god. Get a life, guys... Guess I'll have to wait to the 14th, since you folks haven't been able to come up with anything of substance.

Welcome to AppleInsider... Where the leaks are based on... the fuzzy shot of the port of the case of the friend of the guy from China who heard from the picture of the schematic of the possible patent filing of the girl who measured the jpeg of the design who works in the... etc. etc. etc.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    Quote:

Looks possible... But why is the keyboard not shown properly, why is it not shown in comparison with an actual MacBook Air, who the HELL has these "spy shots" and why are they SO BLURRY and VAGUE?!! I mean, come to think of it, this "spy video" is useless because it could be a MacBook Air for all we know, as previous posters have pointed out.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Ok, use DisplayPort then. The question is why you would use a smaller connector. Having larger laptop just to accommodate a full sized DVI port is pretty idiotic.

HDMI babyyyy on MacBook Pro! Wouldn't that be cool. No worries connecting to 1080p full HD broadcast etc. etc. And... In the box, HDMI to DVI for connecting your MacBook Pro to 30" display...
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

What the hell are you talking about? the iPhone is indeed impressive, but it obviously cannot replace a laptop for getting work done. Work being editing spreadsheets, writing reports, using CRM/sales software, graphic design, video production, software development, web design or whatever you need to do. What form factor do you suggest using to accomplish these things while out of the office/home? A desktop? a tablet? a mainframe? big ass table?

I am saying, is that yet another macbook whatever leads to no innovation. And shares drop as a result. Innovation was Apples old standard, but other than iphone there has been zlich on the hardware side. Even though tech like flexible oled exists, and multi touch has been on the market for a few years now. We still have lame one click notebooks and desktops.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripdragon View Post

I am saying, is that yet another macbook whatever leads to no innovation. And shares drop as a result. Innovation was Apples old standard, but other than iphone there has been zlich on the hardware side. Even though tech like flexible oled exists, and multi touch has been on the market for a few years now. We still have lame one click notebooks and desktops.

The flipside of innovation is risk.

The iPhone and iPhone 3G is huge because of innovation, definitely. But it is one of, if not, the *riskiest* move Apple has ever made.

On the Mac side, innovation is more of a continuing evolution. The new imac form factor was pretty bold, moving away from the white plastic. The MacBook Air, is a pretty good innovation. Apple pushed Intel right to the wall with that.

Of course, what everyone is looking for is the Mac Touch or MacBook Touch or something like that.

Maybe next year. At the end of the day, some people just want a nice laptop or desktop, Apple is innovative and strange enough to them just the way it is.

Steve Jobs and associates have changed the world so much, just by the iPhone. It's spawned new industries, a large black/grey market, and charged the Apple brand in unexpected ways.

I'm not sure if the world is ready for the next big Mac revolution, whatever it is. Time for Steve to guide and let who he has groomed and trained to take us there.

Looking at user interface research and so on, definitely, there is a nice fat opportunity there for some really out-of-the-box laptop designs, eco-friendliness and so on.

But Apple has to be responsible in maintaining some core products on an evolutionary rather than extremely revolutionary path.

Notwithstanding all that, MacWorld San Fran Jan 2009 is just around the corner.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    Does anybody else think the first picture might very well be a 15" MB? I mean, if it's got a mini-DVI there's no way it's going to be a MBP - Apple isn't that stupid...
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Has anyone noticed the way the light hits the edge of the laptop? I always thought it was a funny angle, not symmetrical or squarish.

I haven't measured it, but maybe it hints at a 16:9 ratio for the notebook.
  • Reply 58 of 108
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Does anybody else think the first picture might very well be a 15" MB? I mean, if it's got a mini-DVI there's no way it's going to be a MBP - Apple isn't that stupid...

Here's the obvious observation:

Most agree that DisplayPort will come eventually.

Many however think not at this time.

Yet it is clear that Apple changes the case design this time. A design that ideally should last a few years with minimal changes.

Did anyone notice that DisplayPort and mini-DVI are roughly the same size?

So in order for Apple to not have to redesign the case again when they switch to DisplayPort it makes sense to switch to mini-DVI now. On all MacBook Pros.

Kind of as a last stop-gap use of DVI.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    It is what it is. Wait until next week and we may all know for sure what the damn things look like.

Yeesh!!
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Don't you think the new video port on the new laptops could be Display Port ?

It would be consistent with the industry trend in monitors.