Any more reason to stick with OS 9?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Mr. TI.

Just get a faster machine

I can't believe you are on 9 :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>Whatever happened to "Respect your Elders"?

- T.I.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Right now OS9 is superior to OSX. OSX is a glommy mess. OS9 stays out of my way. ............................
  • Reply 23 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    OS X has horrible third party hardware support. Absolutely horrible and at times very confusing.

Apple needs to improve driver organization and perhaps make a control panel for it. They also need to really help third parties out and make sure everything released within the time of all supported machines IS supported.

They should start by working with Creative on the Soundblaster and UMAX with their scanners.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>OS X has horrible third party hardware support. Absolutely horrible and at times very confusing.

Apple needs to improve driver organization and perhaps make a control panel for it. They also need to really help third parties out and make sure everything released within the time of all supported machines IS supported.

They should start by working with Creative on the Soundblaster and UMAX with their scanners.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What exactly do you mean by a control panel for drivers? What would said control panel (or system pref) do? OS X is a dynamic loading system. If it's needed, it's loaded, if not it just sits there in the form of a file waiting to be called upon. This is not OS 9.I'm having a little trouble understanding what all the gripes are about considering either there is a driver or there isn't. You install it if there is one, you wait if there isn't. What's so confusing about that?

Granted, there needs to be more third party support in the form of drivers, but there should really be no confusion about it. Care to enlighten me?
  • Reply 25 of 36
    doobdoob Posts: 4member
    well you guys running X all the time must have nice shiny new G4's or somthing. I've got a 600MHz icebook with the maximum RAM and although the multitasking is nice the rest is SOOOOO slow. I mean its comical how it takes *seconds* to select things in menus and stuff. I mean come on! form...function... christ!

And then theres the UI- get out of my way you ugly crap!

I don't think it's coincidence a *lot* of people on these boards use PC's AND macs... you can't argue that the MacOS is better than windows now X is the macos.

yes, despite some nasty bits 9'll be my weapon of choice for sometime (although its good to have X for a break when it's really pissing me off )
  • Reply 26 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

What exactly do you mean by a control panel for drivers? What would said control panel (or system pref) do? OS X is a dynamic loading system. If it's needed, it's loaded, if not it just sits there in the form of a file waiting to be called upon. This is not OS 9.I'm having a little trouble understanding what all the gripes are about considering either there is a driver or there isn't. You install it if there is one, you wait if there isn't. What's so confusing about that?

Granted, there needs to be more third party support in the form of drivers, but there should really be no confusion about it. Care to enlighten me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a central sort of organizational center just so that I could see what IS installed and supported. It could probably bes be added to Apple System Profiler.

I think Apple could also do a much beter job by just providing generic drivers. MS has done this for years
  • Reply 27 of 36
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    for Director why don't you just make one PC stub projector that will play your "main.dxr". You can even download a trial version of director to make your stub.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    It saddens me to boot back into OS 9 everytime I need to do audio. I use ProTools and I don't see it coming to OS X for a long time. It's a drag to use OS X for general purposes and then having to boot into 9 for work. Has anyone heard about audio news for OS X?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Main thing at work keeping me back is lack of a real Outlook Exchange client. We really need a client that can handle calendar and contacts on the server. IMAP on Entourage is not acceptable.

Now if they made some snapins for Exchange in Entourage that would solve a lot of issues.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    timianotimiano Posts: 11member
    Just get your IT department to install Outlook Web Access on the Exchange Server, and do everything through your browser.

Tim
  • Reply 31 of 36
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I beat you all!

Just for the fun of it (please, don't flame me) :

I'm still using system 7.1 on my 10 years old machine, with 32 MB of RAM and a 500 MB HD, 68040 processor. I'm using many apps, like Photoshop (I don't remember which version). Many well selected extensions. And guess what ? It rocks ! This machine is robust, fast, efficient, very stable and never crash (well, almost).

Ok, I can't play games, or even go on the internet. But for all my serious job things, it's a perfect machine.

So, when I see all those new machines with OS X, I laugh so loud (sorry for the bad English). I can't believe OS X is so dog slow on those fast PPC machines.

Anyway, I'll buy a new machine this summer and jump into the OS X wagon. I'm buying a new Mac to replace my old dinosaur, because I want home access to the internet, play some 3D games, and do things I can't do on my old car.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by dolphyjazz:

<strong>It saddens me to boot back into OS 9 everytime I need to do audio. I use ProTools and I don't see it coming to OS X for a long time. It's a drag to use OS X for general purposes and then having to boot into 9 for work. Has anyone heard about audio news for OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the release of CoreAudio in 10.1, all the vendors said this spring.

Then the vendors actually tried writing to the CoreAudio layer, and they found a few holes. Now they're saying summer.

On the bright side, I've seen public commitments to the platform from all major vendors, including Digidesign.

applenut wrote:

[quote]<strong>I think Apple could also do a much beter job by just providing generic drivers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where the connection protocols provide generic device categories (e.g., the USB Mass Storage Device category) Apple provides generic drivers. That's how you can plug in a three-button mouse and it "just works."

If you mean that they should beef that support up to USB Overdrive levels, I'm sure no-one would complain if they did.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>OS X has horrible third party hardware support. Absolutely horrible and at times very confusing.

They should start by working with Creative on the Soundblaster and UMAX with their scanners.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This really freaked me out with my XP machine.

I don't have the original CD that came with my HP printer any longer, which I use with my Mac and my PC at times. With the Mac software, I went to HP's website and downloaded the driver, and burned it to CD. I use this when I buy a new Mac, or reinstall the system.

When I got the XP box going though, I had planned on doing the same thing - go to HP's website, download the driver... but I didn't have to. I plugged in the printer, XP told me that it found an HP DeskJet 812C, and asked me if I'd like it to install the software for it.

Very nice.

(of course, it's been all downhill on the PC since then...)
  • Reply 34 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    timiano , I have OWA. That is not a solution. I could just as easily use Entourage to get mail. I need real mail support with calendar and contact management and meeting requests not to mention pop up reminders. I also need access to public folders and PST folders. OWA fall short on all those and I don't want to keep hitting refresh to see if new mail has come in.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I need VPC in X working at OS 9 speeds.

I need a Retrospect back up that is scriptable and foolproof.

I need a good camera to browser program like Cameraid (I noticed that the new carbonized Nikon 5.0 software was pulled).

I need Quark and Font Reserve running w/o problems, even if only in Classic.

I need an FaxSTF and iTunes that aren't constantly taxing the system ( or I need to be able to turn FaxSTF off). I need to fax from classic, because Quark is not carbonized and I don't want to shell out $300 to go to MS Office X.

I need HP scanner support, not just VueScan: I need those little programs that scan to print and scan to fax to work.

With even 50% of the above issues addressed I'd switch full time and deploy elaborate work-around s for the rest. But this list is currently too long for me to seriously abandon 9, even though I want too.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Ever since the nice people at MindVision told me how to get VISE installers to work under OS X, I have had no reason to boot into 9.

Right now I'm itching to shed Canvas. It was a great app under 9, but the OS X "native" version is still too much like an OS 9 app - insufficient threading, wierd delays in responsiveness - and it fires up Classic to export files as TIFF! So I'm investigating TIFFany.