Secure Backup Via Network?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
At work we have a few Mac?s on the network, and they?re just lovely. One thing I?ve noticed is that there is no backup system for them. I asked my boss why that is, and he said he couldn?t get backup software (commercial).

So I got to thinking about a free solution. Here?s how I?d like to get the backup system setup:

o Over the network it securely transfers the data to a server. Storage space isn?t a problem, considering the number of unused Linux servers we have.

o After the initial backup, only incremental backups should take place on what has changed.

Looking around ?rsync? might be able to do this. I?m pretty sure I can use SSH to transfer the data securely over the network with ?rsync? too. Feedback is welcomed.

**All the Mac?s are running Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    What are you using to back everything else up? We use Veritas NetBackup on our Leopard Server, thats as commercial as you can get...it'll work on workstation too...it's integrated perfectly with the rest of the backup system.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lexicon5 View Post

What are you using to back everything else up? We use Veritas NetBackup on our Leopard Server, thats as commercial as you can get...it'll work on workstation too...it's integrated perfectly with the rest of the backup system.

The rest of the computers all all Windows, each user using a Windows server. So basically a Microsoft world.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malebolgia View Post

The rest of the computers all all Windows, each user using a Windows server. So basically a Microsoft world.

So why not connect the Macs to the Windows servers and make the users work from the network instead of local? There is a command line you can run so they do not create resource fork files and .DS_Store files on network drives.

What are you using to back your servers up? That's still the question...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lexicon5 View Post

So why not connect the Macs to the Windows servers and make the users work from the network instead of local? There is a command line you can run so they do not create resource fork files and .DS_Store files on network drives.

What are you using to back your servers up? That's still the question...

The Mac's aren't being backed up to anything.

The Windows machines are being backed up on a complete separate system of NAS's.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malebolgia View Post

The Mac's aren't being backed up to anything.

The Windows machines are being backed up on a complete separate system of NAS's.

Still not sure what your question is. Veritas NetBackup has already been mentioned as a 'commercial' backup solution. We use Retrospect on a mixed Windows/Mac environment. If your using the Windows's Backup on each machine to the NAS then use Time Machine, included with Leopard, to do the same and you're done.

And what do you mean by 'secure'. Do you want the network traffic encrypted? I don't believe Time Machine will do this but if you control the physical network what do you need that?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Still not sure what your question is. Veritas NetBackup has already been mentioned as a 'commercial' backup solution. We use Retrospect on a mixed Windows/Mac environment. If your using the Windows's Backup on each machine to the NAS then use Time Machine, included with Leopard, to do the same and you're done.

And what do you mean by 'secure'. Do you want the network traffic encrypted? I don't believe Time Machine will do this but if you control the physical network what do you need that?

I'm trying to find a free backup solution, as commercial software isn't an option right now. And the solution needs to use a secure connection when backing up the files over the network. That's why I was looking into using SSH with 'rsync'.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Are you looking to backup just user files or the complete hard drive?

If looking to back up just user files, and those user files are just business data (light weight) than storing them on the server would be my preference. If the files are more heavy weight, such as video or large design work, then local storage might still be better. In my opinion, workstation backup solutions are more work to support and make sense mostly just for large organizations. For smaller organizations, centralized storage is cheaper and easier to administer.

Keep in mind that incremental backups can be troublesome via rsync for some types of files. Files that are modified without touching the time stamp (such as database data) won't be backed up properly.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Take a look at Crashplan Pro. Runs on Macs, Windows, and Linux boxes equally well as it's written in Java. Company is great to deal with and it works REALLY well. Server software is free, and then you buy seats for the client.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks for the replies guys... I may of found an alternative (with of course the ones people have suggested here) to RSync.

Oe the Windows end we use Backup Express. Perhaps the company has a client software we can use to backup the Macs with?

I'll let you guys know if I find anything on their site.