Help my research!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
After months of reading other's threads I finally registered here because I need your help.

I am currently writing an essay on Apple's growth, and this questionnaire should help me find out a few things. So help this high school Mac fan and answer a few questions!

You have to be living in the US and owning/buying a Mac in the nearest months to participate.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...PkkcEG1g_3d_3d

^ This is a new layout that's less confusing and more to the point. ^

If you don't know what to do just ask me right here in this thread, okay? Going to be checking up on this really often.

Thank you so much!

/Boris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Is anyone reading these things at all?

Come on guys, I really need all the help I can get on this.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I created a better layout that should appeal to you lazy people just now.

Go here instead, answering only takes a few minutes!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...PkkcEG1g_3d_3d
  • Reply 3 of 14
    12 responses so far. That's pretty bad for 24 hours, people
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boris A View Post

First, insulting the membership is not going to help you. Would you like to know what's bad? Your survey. It's terrible, and here's why:

1. Everything is long-winded, from the opening requirements to the questions. Just state the requirements like this:

A. You must be a US resident currently.

B. You must currently own or plan to buy an Apple Macintosh computer within 90 days.

2. You refer to the computer as a "Mac computer." You should say "Apple Macintosh" or something more formal.

3. Question 1 needs a "both" option.

4. You don't have to explain every question like your audience is five years old.

5. I had to read this three times:

Quote:

Do you consider yourself being loyal to the Apple brand? Do you prefer their products to other company?s offerings?

If so, please choose how you have become brand-loyal. Put these alternatives in an order that reflects the way you prioritize them. Most important first, least important last, for example 15234.

If you do not consider yourself to be loyal to the Apple brand, choose N/A.

First, there are no numbers in the responses. Those type of responses are not for ranking ("most important, somewhat important," etc.)

Please redo it and then we might care
  • Reply 5 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Although at this point, chances are slim.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I love it - please do me a favor, you lazy good-for-nothings!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I don't think I can change the questions much since some have already done the survey and I got that thing approved. As for the numbers they are removed, those weren't even supposed to be there (sneaked it through ctrl-v somehow).

You must excuse me for the less-than-clear language, but English isn't my main language ( I think it'd be a 3rd language) I worked really hard on the formulations as it is.

If you really can't stand it though I guess you don't need to do it at all.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Oh and Question 1 is supposed to find out which affected you the most.

I realize now it's obviously not clear in the question.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Oh and Question 1 is supposed to find out which affected you the most.

I realize now it's obviously not clear in the question.

Years ago as a student I had a casual job researching peoples banana purchasing behavior.

That was when I really discovered how useless these surveys are. They should have just put a spy camera over the banana bin at the supermarket.

Later I did response groups at advertising agencies which confirmed that both the people who create the surveys and those that respond to them haven't a clue.

Not that what people say or think bears much resemblance to what they really do.

Garbage in, Garbage out.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    It wasn't my idea to use a survey. It's just a requirement although I realize I could just have used actual research data from reliable firms such as Gartner.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    "Reliable firms" and "Gartner" are rarely used in the same sentence, but yes, data is out there.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Kid, go away.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I love it - please do me a favor, you lazy good-for-nothings!

lmao
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Years ago as a student I had a casual job researching peoples banana purchasing behavior.

That was when I really discovered how useless these surveys are. They should have just put a spy camera over the banana bin at the supermarket.

Later I did response groups at advertising agencies which confirmed that both the people who create the surveys and those that respond to them haven't a clue.

Not that what people say or think bears much resemblance to what they really do.

Garbage in, Garbage out.

In a nutshell, this is why companies should never, ever pay for marketing firms to investigate the fine points of their own business.